Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Michelle Obama is now stumping for children to convince their “grandparents” to vote for her husband.

http://www.wncoam.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104707?feed=104707&article=9988382#ixzz1qzgE1g6X

Michelle Obama, who has quickly become the Obama campaign’s tip of the spear when it comes to fundraising and vote-getting, is now stumping for children to convince their “great-grandparents” to vote for her husband. At an event at San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park – for which tickets cost at least $500 – Michelle said:

I mean, I can’t tell you in the last election how many grandparents I ran into who said, I wasn’t going to vote for Barack Obama until my grandson talked to me, until my great-grandson talked to me, and talked about the future he wanted for this country.

You can get out there with your parents. You guys can knock on doors. I had one young lady who brought me a petition — she’s already working. You can convince wrong people. Sometimes we don’t listen to ourselves, but we will listen to our children.

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Replies (11-20):
rccmom
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 4:11 PM
5 moms liked this

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

I am happy to see my children have conversations with my parents about politics and current events BUT I would be mortified if my children even began to presume that a soundbite or catch phrase (Hope and Change) they heard from the Obama's entitled them to be so disrespectful as to assume they know better than their Grandparents.  

It is the children who should be listening to the wisdom and experience of their grandparents. Not the other way around.

Michele Obama did not endorse them quoting soundbites, but rather talking about the future they wanted. I think it could be a very healthy conversation all the way around. Grandparents and grandkids need to talk to each other, and I find nothing wrong with her suggesting that they have political discussions.

I like your last sentence there because it is correct. Who knows how this conversation may go? The younger person may be convinced to not vote for Obama, but that is the risk we take when we speak and listen to one another. Yet, there is something to be gained by the older folks listening to the younger, and maybe they will be the ones convinced.

rccmom
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 4:13 PM
4 moms liked this

I see nothing wrong with Michele Obama encouraging the generations to speak to each other. Speaking and listening to each other is a fantastic idea, and the risk is, who knows which one will be convinced? And even though I will most likely vote Obama, I think that risk is a good thing. The more people talk out and think out their ideas and political candidates, the more likely they will make an informed and intelligent decision. 

jlo1313
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 4:25 PM

I think it is great to talk to your grandparents and your parents about politics.  I grew up with my grandparents and we always talked politics at the dinner table.  I grew up knowing too much about the Great Depression, FDR and the changes from the 30's through the 80's because of my grandparents.  I couldn't tell you where my grandmother stood politically, but I can tell you my grandfather was a staunch Republican.  I often wish I could go back and ask him questions on issues now.  I would love to hear his spin.  It was not always the way I saw things, but it did always give me a better prospective.  I am sure he would love to listen to my prospective today having a family and raising my chidren on my own and seeing the direction it is headed for my children. 

I agree with OP that children should learn from the wisdom of those that have lived through the history as we know it today.  They have seen the ebb and flow of change and can help us not make the same mistakes we made in the past if we actually listened to many of them.

Jambo4
Why are there so many trolls on CM? I am so sorry your life is unfulfilled.
Yesterday at 3:28 PM
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 4:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

I am happy to see my children have conversations with my parents about politics and current events BUT I would be mortified if my children even began to presume that a soundbite or catch phrase (Hope and Change) they heard from the Obama's entitled them to be so disrespectful as to assume they know better than their Grandparents.  

It is the children who should be listening to the wisdom and experience of their grandparents. Not the other way around.

agreed..

Hitler youth.. e,r Obama Youth!  LOVE it!

Abaco
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 4:56 PM

bow down

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

asfriend
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 5:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Nice bumper sticker - idiotic but nice bumper sticker size, none the less.

Quoting _Kissy_:

People who ignore history are doomed to vote republican

mommygiggles317
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 6:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting _Kissy_:

Someone needs to talk to the grandparents and get their minds out of the 40s and 50s and vote for a better future for their future generations

well.....I don't need my grandkids to tell me---I am voting for Obama ...and even tho I was born in 1941, I am living in the present!  I'm here---in 2012. big smile mini

You go Michele! I really admire her.

bow downAnd I admire you as well...

love you signExercising Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding...

mommygiggles317
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 6:57 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting Jambo4:

Quoting ExecutiveChick:

agreed..

Hitler youth.. e,r Obama Youth!  LOVE it!

badPresident Obama and Hitler do not belong in the same sentence... Very disrespectful...

love you signExercising Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding...

ExecutiveChick
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:18 PM
4 moms liked this

Not to be argumentative here, really, but there are some interesting links that can be drawn. "Links" I did not say similarities. I am simply pointing out that there are some real, historical and factual arguments that could be made about the links between the 2.

Many Liberals, including Joe Biden often compare Obama and his policies to FDR. It is also common knowledge that much of Hitler's propaganda and policies were fashioned after FDR's. In fact, the "Superior Race" drive of Hitler's and the Holocaust were based on and fashioned after FDR and his Eugenics policies here in the United States. 

So, one could make the argument the Obama and Hitler are both students of FDR style policies and do in fact belong in the same sentence.

Quoting mommygiggles317:

badPresident Obama and Hitler do not belong in the same sentence... Very disrespectful...

rachelrothchild
by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 7:36 PM
2 moms liked this

What kind of future do these kids want for this country?  I don't think children know enough about politics or candidates to be telling adults who they should vote for (and I know some adults don't know much either).

Remember when school children were singing Obama's song?  That's where they learn about him-school.  That's where indoctrination takes place.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)