Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Michelle Obama is now stumping for children to convince their “grandparents” to vote for her husband.

http://www.wncoam.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=104707?feed=104707&article=9988382#ixzz1qzgE1g6X

Michelle Obama, who has quickly become the Obama campaign’s tip of the spear when it comes to fundraising and vote-getting, is now stumping for children to convince their “great-grandparents” to vote for her husband. At an event at San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park – for which tickets cost at least $500 – Michelle said:

I mean, I can’t tell you in the last election how many grandparents I ran into who said, I wasn’t going to vote for Barack Obama until my grandson talked to me, until my great-grandson talked to me, and talked about the future he wanted for this country.

You can get out there with your parents. You guys can knock on doors. I had one young lady who brought me a petition — she’s already working. You can convince wrong people. Sometimes we don’t listen to ourselves, but we will listen to our children.

by on Apr. 3, 2012 at 2:47 PM
Replies (31-40):
nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I would love for Michelle to talk to my grand kids! They already love her and the President.Not a better role model in the world as far as I am concerned.And of course she wants people to vote for her husband.It would be pretty darn stupid if she didn't.eye rolling

jillianmayasmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:57 AM
1 mom liked this
I really don't understand why anyone can possibly have a problem with what she said. What is wrong with children talking to their parents and grandparents about politics? Children can learn something from the wisdom and experience of the older generation but the older generation can also learn something by listening to the perspective of the younger generations. I have always talked about politics with my grandmother and my father. They learn from me and I learn from them. To assume that older people ALWAYS know better then younger people is naive, often not true and does not give the younger generations enough credit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillianmayasmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 8:59 AM
Most of them probably won't but it might give them some perspective that they didn't have before. Is that a bad thing?

Quoting Mamawto4:

Who are these people who are great-grandparents that would change their whole political line of thinking because a child said they wanted a future where Obama's policies prevailed.  What a crock!  Total BS.  It is nothing more than an attempt to divert from an indoctrination of the young.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillianmayasmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:04 AM
So I guess Laura Bush, Hillary Clinton, Barbara Bush, Nancy Reagan etc etc had the same propaganda campaigns going then right? Ever since wives of presidential candidates have been actively campaigning for their husbands, these kinds of events have occurred and similar comments have been made. Why is it so bad this time? Oh wait, never mind. I know the answer.

Quoting Jambo4:

Since I am the one that brought up Hitler, I'll explain my comment further.  I said that this reminded me of the Hitler Youth.  Hitler wanted to control the minds of the children.  The Deutsches Jungvolk and then when they were older, Hitler Jugend (and the girls version Jungmadelbund and Bund Deutscher for the older girls). Hitler's goal was to indoctrinate the youth to his ideology early on and then have them go about being his spies and his mouthpieces to influence (and tattle) on those within their personal spheres.

THAT is what I meant with my comparison. (not Hitler's particular indoctrination propaganda.)  I believe Obama has his own propaganda that he'd love the youth to take up and spread around. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Carpy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Give me one example of any former first lady encouraging children to pursuade their grandparents to vote for their husband.  Just one.

Quoting jillianmayasmom:

So I guess Laura Bush, Hillary Clinton, Barbara Bush, Nancy Reagan etc etc had the same propaganda campaigns going then right? Ever since wives of presidential candidates have been actively campaigning for their husbands, these kinds of events have occurred and similar comments have been made. Why is it so bad this time? Oh wait, never mind. I know the answer.

Quoting Jambo4:

Since I am the one that brought up Hitler, I'll explain my comment further.  I said that this reminded me of the Hitler Youth.  Hitler wanted to control the minds of the children.  The Deutsches Jungvolk and then when they were older, Hitler Jugend (and the girls version Jungmadelbund and Bund Deutscher for the older girls). Hitler's goal was to indoctrinate the youth to his ideology early on and then have them go about being his spies and his mouthpieces to influence (and tattle) on those within their personal spheres.

THAT is what I meant with my comparison. (not Hitler's particular indoctrination propaganda.)  I believe Obama has his own propaganda that he'd love the youth to take up and spread around. 

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Apr. 4, 2012 at 9:47 AM

desperate much?

gammie
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:39 AM
Because of the future of this country this grandmother WILL NOT VOTE for Obama!

Ron Paul 2012big smile mini

mommygiggles317
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting asfriend:

There is probably some truth to that, Obama has the real potential to be much, much worse.

Quoting mommygiggles317:

badPresident Obama and Hitler do not belong in the same sentence... Very disrespectful...

Really, what's more worst than gas chambers, experiments, destroying families, etc? Maybe you should read the diary of Anne Frank and then talk to me... President Obama and HItler do not belong in the same sentence... I don't care if you like the man or not, just be real...

love you signExercising Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding...

asfriend
by on Apr. 4, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Well for 1 thing, Hitler didn't have the nuclear codes.

Quoting mommygiggles317:

Quoting asfriend:

There is probably some truth to that, Obama has the real potential to be much, much worse.

Quoting mommygiggles317:

badPresident Obama and Hitler do not belong in the same sentence... Very disrespectful...

Really, what's more worst than gas chambers, experiments, destroying families, etc? Maybe you should read the diary of Anne Frank and then talk to me... President Obama and HItler do not belong in the same sentence... I don't care if you like the man or not, just be real...

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2012 at 12:16 PM

What's wrong with getting young people involved in politics?

It's not like she was using them as a PROP of the HOUSE floor as a F'ing GIMMICK..

Quote:

Michelle Obama, who has quickly become the Obama campaign’s tip of the spear when it comes to fundraising and vote-getting, is now stumping for children to convince their “great-grandparents” to vote for her husband. At an event at San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park – for which tickets cost at least $500 – Michelle said:

I mean, I can’t tell you in the last election how many grandparents I ran into who said, I wasn’t going to vote for Barack Obama until my grandson talked to me, until my great-grandson talked to me, and talked about the future he wanted for this country.

You can get out there with your parents. You guys can knock on doors. I had one young lady who brought me a petition — she’s already working. You can convince wrong people. Sometimes we don’t listen to ourselves, but we will listen to our children.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN