Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Party Like You Just Don’t Care, on the tax payers of course

Posted by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:59 AM
  • 2 Replies

Party Like You Just Don’t Care

Top government officials were recently fired for spending more than $820,000 on a conference in Las Vegas, reports The Washington Post’s Lisa Rein and Joe Davidson.

Martha N. Johnson, chief of the General Services Administration, resigned from her position, two of her top deputies were fired and four managers were placed on administrative leave for hosting a training conference that featured a clown, a mind reader and a nearly $30,000 reception.

This is a “significant misstep,” wrote Johnson in her resignation letter. “Taxpayer dollars were squandered.”

You think? They spent like it wasn’t their money.

Here’s how some of the money was spent:

●$44 per person per day for breakfast

●$75,000 for a “team-building” exercise that involved building a bicycle

●$146,000 on catered food and drinks

●$6,325 on commemorative coins in velvet boxes to reward all participants for their work on stimulus projects

●$31,208 “networking” reception featuring a $19-per-person cheese display

●$7,000 for sushi

This week’s Color of Money question: Do you have examples of a company that spent too much on an office event or convention? Send your responses to . Be sure to put “ Party Like You Just Don’t Care” in the subject line.

by on Apr. 5, 2012 at 9:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
TruthSeeker.
by CM Junkie on Apr. 5, 2012 at 10:12 AM

What is wrong with these people?! I'm glad action was taken and people were fired. 

I will go further and say any overage spent should be paid back by whoever authorized it. They basically stole from taxpayers.

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Apr. 5, 2012 at 11:54 AM

These figures just make me sick.  Some people get by with a week's worth of groceries for $44

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)