Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Congressional Black Caucus Offers Resolution to Honor Trayvon Martin...

Posted by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:00 AM
  • 36 Replies

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/04/trayvon-martin-resolution-congressional-black-caucus_n_1404441.html

Do you agree that the "Stand Your Ground" law should be repealed?

I apologize to anyone who may have tried to open the previous link... it was a bad one... sorry, this one should be okay...

love you signExercising Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding...

by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 3:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mamawto4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 8:30 AM
2 moms liked this

No.  I believe people should be able to defend themselves.  It is wrong to place the burden of outcome on the victim.

matreshka
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 8:35 AM

Yes, I think it is completely way too vague and allows for offensive violent action rather than reasonable self-defense. This is how people get killed for no reason. 

Connie127
by on Apr. 6, 2012 at 8:36 AM
No

mommygiggles317
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Quoting Mamawto4:

No.  I believe people should be able to defend themselves.  It is wrong to place the burden of outcome on the victim.

Now knowing the unintended consequences of this law, you still feel that Stand Your Ground should stay in place? Even with the circumstances surrounding this case?...

mommygiggles317
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Quoting matreshka:

Yes, I think it is completely way too vague and allows for offensive violent action rather than reasonable self-defense. This is how people get killed for no reason. 

I agree with you 100%... if it were not for Trayvon Martin's death, I would have never known about this law... It is definitely way to vague... I think it is fair that regardless of self defense or not, anyone who takes a life has to prove why...

mommygiggles317
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Quoting Connie127:

No

Why?...

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:16 AM

Yes, I think it should be repealed.  All a person has to do is claim that they *felt* threatened and they get away with murder.  I think it is reasonable to expect a victim to at least try to leave the scene before they start firing.

mommygiggles317
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Yes, I think it should be repealed.  All a person has to do is claim that they *felt* threatened and they get away with murder.  I think it is reasonable to expect a victim to at least try to leave the scene before they start firing.

Today, I'm gonna research what other states have laws similar to Stand Your Ground... I'm calling everyubody out... The NRA needs to stay the hell out of politics!!!...

Mamawto4
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:44 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mommygiggles317:

Quoting Mamawto4:

Now knowing the unintended consequences of this law, you still feel that Stand Your Ground should stay in place? Even with the circumstances surrounding this case?...

Yes, but please don't assume that I am saying that Zimmerman was the victim in this case.  That is what investigations are for.

tnmomofive
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2012 at 10:49 AM
1 mom liked this

No.Investigations takes place it's not like anyone can off someone else and their word is just taken as gospel.Get real.I don't think it's right when innocent people are like sitting ducks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN