Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Ann Romney should apologize!

Posted by   + Show Post

Ann Romney should apologize!

Imagining the reaction to her "I know what it means to struggle" remark if Democrats acted like Republicans

Nicely played, GOP.

Mitt Romney’s “I know you are, but what am I?” strategy, declaring President Obama the real perpetrator of a “war on women,” got an assist from CNN Democratic analyst Hilary Rosen Wednesday, when she questioned whether Romney should use his wife, Ann, as his expert on women’s issues when she “never worked a day in her life.” As feminists have known thanks to the silly Mommy Wars over the last 20 years, every mother is a working mother. Rosen, who is herself a mom who also works outside the home, has now apologized, as has every prominent Democrat from President Obama to Debbie Wasserman Schultz to David Axelrod (and probably FDR, from the grave).

But Republicans still won’t shut up about it. An aggrieved Ann Romney even told Fox News, “I will tell you that Mitt said to me more times than I can imagine, Ann, your job is more important than mine,” and added that as the mother of five grown boys, “I know what it’s like to struggle.”

Well, I’d like to demand that Ann Romney apologize to all women for equating the “struggle” of a wealthy mother who had full-time household help to that of a poor or working-class job-holding mother, who must choose between her job and her children when a child gets sick. How dare you, madam? Have you no shame? I’d like to demand that Mitt Romney apologize for his wife’s remarks, too. I’d like to hear every prominent Republican denounce Ann Romney for her heinous insensitivity to non-wealthy mothers who must work outside the home.

Wait. Ann Romney’s not a Democrat, and I’m not a Republican, so that’s not how the world works. Sorry about that. I apologize.

No, Ann Romney doesn’t need to apologize – but in a grown-up world, Hilary Rosen wouldn’t have had to either. The point Rosen was making was, and is, valid: Mitt Romney repeatedly refers to his wife, Ann, in lordly terms, “reporting” to him what matters to women. Reporting to him, like she’s an employee, or maybe a translator. It’s valid to suggest that he ought to talk about what women believe from his own experiences, or what he learns from women colleagues, co-workers, campaign staff. He should stop referring to his wife’s “reports” about women’s issues, sounding like Thurston Howell III.

And the fact is, Ann Romney’s experiences are not the average woman’s. She is a woman of great privilege. Most mothers don’t have the “choice” to stay home full time with their kids; they need a paycheck. Meanwhile, her husband supports the Paul Ryan budget, which cuts nutrition programs for pregnant women and new moms and their kids. It cuts Medicaid for poor women and children. It slashes food stamp funding, when women and children make up two-thirds of the people who get food stamps. He wants to get rid of Planned Parenthood, which provides not just contraception but breast cancer and cervical cancer screenings for millions of low-income women.

In blasting the Obama campaign for the remarks of a Democrat unrelated to his campaign, Concerned Women for America called motherhood “the most important job there is.” Except when poor women do it, that is. Republicans crusaded to kill Aid to Families With Dependent Children (supported eventually by Bill Clinton and other Democrats) to make sure that poor women joined the workforce. Motherhood is “the most important job there is” unless your children are poor. What a bunch of hypocrites.

I’m sure Ann Romney knows what it’s like to struggle. We all do; it’s the nature of being human. But in the political arena we really ought to be able to distinguish between personal struggles, and struggles that have social and political causes and implications. It reminded me of when Bill O’Reilly told Rev. Al Sharpton’s National Action Network, “I’m not black so I don’t know your struggle and you don’t know my struggle because you’re not white.” Nobody knows the troubles Bill’s seen, growing up on the mean streets of Old Westbury. I’m not saying that white people can’t face injustice, but to equate the black and white “struggles” is just ridiculous. Ann Romney is smart enough to distinguish between her own “struggles” and those of women who work at low-wage jobs and struggle to raise their children safely.

by on Apr. 13, 2012 at 10:29 AM
Replies (161-164):
lordkanarven
by Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 5:49 PM

The same way. To me this isn't a political issue. I'm not going to say when people on my side do it it's okay. To me its about women of privilege comparing their lives to mine.

Quoting Jambo4:

Quoting lordkanarven:

well.... what do you think of this? eh

Obama on Why Michelle Was a Working Mom (at $316K Per Year): ‘We Didn't Have the Luxury for Her Not to Work’

Join me in the Blues Mamas if you have a passion for music!
Jambo4
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:12 PM

I wish I lived in Hawaii!  Let alone, ever visit it!  To live in a tourist destination.. must have been a terribly hard time.

Quoting Meadowchik:

Quoting GaleJ:

Now let's look at Mitt Romney...it isn't class envy, I can assure you. There are many people who are wealthy and who I can admire. They have worked hard to be sure but there is the reality that they also have been lucky. They live their lives and try to do good works and understand just how fortunate they are. This is not Mr. Romney however, he has been what is described as a corporate raider, and has made his living and a fair amount of his vast fortune deliberately ruining companies for profit for himself and his associates while completely disregarding the ruin his somewhat dubious business activity has caused. I don't honestly know that much about his wife Ann but I do know that she has not lived a life as wife and mother with which I have much in common. That is neither here nor there and since I have been at various times both a SAHM and a working mother I stand on the fence in that particular war. But the reality that I see is that the Romney's simply don't have a real understanding of how most of us live. Yes she is a woman that has raised five children but she never had to be concerned about how to afford to do so, or gone without anything because the check book just wouldn't stretch any more and there are school fees, or doctor bills or little "fill in the blank" lost his glasses and we just can't afford to replace them. Yes she has suffered with illness but she never had to be concerned about how she would deal with the costs of her illness and how her family could afford to continue to make ends meet without losing everything because of it. I have nothing against her but to put her forward as Mitt Romney's touchstone to the everyday life most of us as women lead is at the very least disingenuous if not downright dishonest. 

Nice thoughts mixed with rubbish...making all these claims about the Romneys while you obviously know almost nothing about them, or you're atleast ignoring it.

Do you know that Bain was an innovator in Venture Capitol?  They were one of the first firms that actually worked with the companies to improve them, a lot of times Bain also accepted company stock for fees, meaning their gain depended on the company's success.

And you may say it's not class envy, but it is a kind of blind prejudice to keep blocking them off into some "other" category due to their wealth. 

The Romneys are clearly family-centered, and as with all of us there are dangers in life that cannot be fixed by money, worries that are very real.  Time: time cannot be bought, and they had to prioritize that. 

Health and safety: they both have walked in that valley of near-death during their lives, Ann with cancer and Mitt in a head-on collision; police even thought he was dead when they arrived on the scene.

We know that money cannot guarantee success but all five of their boys are earning their way as professionals.

People: While still giving needed attention to their children, Ann served in the community through charities including work with at-risk youth, Mitt had a pastor position in church, helping people in spiritual, emotional, and material need, offering encouragement, counsel, helping them find jobs.  This she and he both did unpaid, and they were active in a church where the leader of the congregation could be the plumber or highschool janitor, where members took active, cooperative roles in making the church function.

Choice: none of get to chose the conditions of our birth, but we can chose what steps to take in our lives.  I can respect alot about Michelle and Barack Obama, but that does not mean Obama will be a good President And that's more about his choices, not his circumstances. With Romney, his choices impress me; he governs with more skill and more bipartisan leadership: that's why I can agree with the beginning of your post: "I'm not sure it matters much if you're a Republican or a Democrat in this election."

This is the reality: on one hand we have a president who governs from the background, Obama, who is not in there hammering out budgets and is not there hammering out a bipartisan healthcare bill .  On the other hand we have Romney who as a Republican governor accomplished a great deal even with a Dem supermajority, he passed a healthcare bill with nearly unanimous support from both parties, this he did despite major opposition. The writing is on the wall: the right choice is Romney.

Wonderful comments Meadow... I think Gale dismissed the health issues too quickly.  Living with deterioration and the knowledge that your life with MS may be ended any minute.. knowing that all the money in the world you have matters squat should weigh more heavily into this argument.  Some things money can't cure... it can't cure the incurable.  The worry and struggle is just as valid.. as those who worry about money.

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Apr. 14, 2012 at 6:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Sure it does.. or could.  I realize we are talking different sizes of the excutive experience, but same circumstances are very much in place.  Maybe it reflects more on Obama lack of ability than anything.  

Quoting GaleJ:Mitt Romney may have accomplished some very positive things as governor of Massachusetts in the situation as you described but that doesn't relate to the federal situation. Our politics, on both sides of the aisle, have become impossibly bogged down in uber-partisanship, that is a problem no matter your particular politics and is a discussion for another day and post.
blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Apr. 14, 2012 at 8:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Jambo4:

I wish I lived in Hawaii!  Let alone, ever visit it!  To live in a tourist destination.. must have been a terribly hard time.

Quoting Meadowchik:

Quoting GaleJ:

Now let's look at Mitt Romney...it isn't class envy, I can assure you. There are many people who are wealthy and who I can admire. They have worked hard to be sure but there is the reality that they also have been lucky. They live their lives and try to do good works and understand just how fortunate they are. This is not Mr. Romney however, he has been what is described as a corporate raider, and has made his living and a fair amount of his vast fortune deliberately ruining companies for profit for himself and his associates while completely disregarding the ruin his somewhat dubious business activity has caused. I don't honestly know that much about his wife Ann but I do know that she has not lived a life as wife and mother with which I have much in common. That is neither here nor there and since I have been at various times both a SAHM and a working mother I stand on the fence in that particular war. But the reality that I see is that the Romney's simply don't have a real understanding of how most of us live. Yes she is a woman that has raised five children but she never had to be concerned about how to afford to do so, or gone without anything because the check book just wouldn't stretch any more and there are school fees, or doctor bills or little "fill in the blank" lost his glasses and we just can't afford to replace them. Yes she has suffered with illness but she never had to be concerned about how she would deal with the costs of her illness and how her family could afford to continue to make ends meet without losing everything because of it. I have nothing against her but to put her forward as Mitt Romney's touchstone to the everyday life most of us as women lead is at the very least disingenuous if not downright dishonest. 

Nice thoughts mixed with rubbish...making all these claims about the Romneys while you obviously know almost nothing about them, or you're atleast ignoring it.

Do you know that Bain was an innovator in Venture Capitol?  They were one of the first firms that actually worked with the companies to improve them, a lot of times Bain also accepted company stock for fees, meaning their gain depended on the company's success.

And you may say it's not class envy, but it is a kind of blind prejudice to keep blocking them off into some "other" category due to their wealth. 

The Romneys are clearly family-centered, and as with all of us there are dangers in life that cannot be fixed by money, worries that are very real.  Time: time cannot be bought, and they had to prioritize that. 

Health and safety: they both have walked in that valley of near-death during their lives, Ann with cancer and Mitt in a head-on collision; police even thought he was dead when they arrived on the scene.

We know that money cannot guarantee success but all five of their boys are earning their way as professionals.

People: While still giving needed attention to their children, Ann served in the community through charities including work with at-risk youth, Mitt had a pastor position in church, helping people in spiritual, emotional, and material need, offering encouragement, counsel, helping them find jobs.  This she and he both did unpaid, and they were active in a church where the leader of the congregation could be the plumber or highschool janitor, where members took active, cooperative roles in making the church function.

Choice: none of get to chose the conditions of our birth, but we can chose what steps to take in our lives.  I can respect alot about Michelle and Barack Obama, but that does not mean Obama will be a good President And that's more about his choices, not his circumstances. With Romney, his choices impress me; he governs with more skill and more bipartisan leadership: that's why I can agree with the beginning of your post: "I'm not sure it matters much if you're a Republican or a Democrat in this election."

This is the reality: on one hand we have a president who governs from the background, Obama, who is not in there hammering out budgets and is not there hammering out a bipartisan healthcare bill .  On the other hand we have Romney who as a Republican governor accomplished a great deal even with a Dem supermajority, he passed a healthcare bill with nearly unanimous support from both parties, this he did despite major opposition. The writing is on the wall: the right choice is Romney.

Wonderful comments Meadow... I think Gale dismissed the health issues too quickly.  Living with deterioration and the knowledge that your life with MS may be ended any minute.. knowing that all the money in the world you have matters squat should weigh more heavily into this argument.  Some things money can't cure... it can't cure the incurable.  The worry and struggle is just as valid.. as those who worry about money.

My point earlier Jambo. We all have our crosses, financial struggle for some, health issues and even terminal illness etc....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)