Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

'I Had An Abortion' T-Shirts Fuel Controversy

Posted by   + Show Post

'I Had An Abortion' T-Shirts Fuel Controversy

Posted: 04/18/2012 4:19 pm Updated: 04/18/2012 4:19 pm

I Had An Abortion Shirt

Here's a simple math equation: T-shirts + abortion = controversy.

Tensions ran high on Monday, after T-shirts reading "I had an abortion" were sold on the University of North Carolina Wilmington campus, WECT reports .

The shirts were on sale as part of a book signing and discussion lead by abortion rights advocate, Jennifer Baumgardner. The shirts are meant to help destigmatize abortion and help people talk about their experience, according to WWAY.

A few students protested the shirts by wearing some of their own that said, "I haven't killed a baby."

One protester told the station that abortion is "unpraiseworthy."

RH Realitycheck's Robin Marty writes that the protesters misconstrued the abortion shirt's intent:

There's a vast difference between erasing stigma and "seeking praise," but I suppose for those who believe each of the one in three women who have had abortions should be ashamed to admit it, anything other than regret is wrong.

Perhaps the protesters got the shirts confused with these ones from Cafe Press which actually do praise abortion.

Watch : http://bcove.me/zuy4ktq8

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/18/i-had-an-abortion-t-shirt_n_1435234.html

by on Apr. 18, 2012 at 9:22 PM
Replies (61-70):
rccmom
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Or it is perhaps to force judgemental people to stop looking at them in a judgemental way, and look at them as a person who made a choice. If all the women who had ever had an abortion wore that shirt on the same day, we would see how many women have made that choice, maybe find out some of the reasons for that choice, and just be a bit more understanding all the way around. Maybe it would force a conversation instead of sound bites from both sides, and lead to more solutions, and less dogma. 

Quoting Abaco:

Another way to look at these people wearing a shirt like this might be a desperate cry for help or even they are ashamed and punishing themselves while wearing it.  That's how I look at it anyway.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this
My thoughts, exactly.

Quoting tnmomofive:

If you cannot see why parading around in such a shirt is shameful then honestly..dont know what to say.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Actually, if every women who'd ever had an abortion - for whatever reason - wore this t-shirt on the same day, we'd have some very surprised people.

tm88rn
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this
The good thing is, you don't have to understand my thoughts or comments. You are free to think that I am cold and callous. Yes, I am proud of the choices I've made. As for the effects, yes, of course it can have a lasting effect. But those women are almost always the ones who didn't really want an abortion to begin with. A few who did will have effects, the majority won't.

Quoting paperorplastic:

The key word I used is "usually."  I totally disagree with you regarding the effects it can have on a person.  Really, making the choice to kill your own child is something to proud of?  Sorry, but your thoughts are cold and callous, and I can not even wrap my mind around your comment. 

Quoting tm88rn:

That is very untrue. Yes, some women have life long effects, but those women are almost always the ones who did not want to abort and felt forced or coerced into having one. I've had an abortion, 8 years ago, and I don't have any effects from it, I never have. I've never had or needed counseling. Most women do not. An abortion in itself is not something to be proud of, but making the choice sometimes is. It certainly is nothing to be ashamed of.

Quoting paperorplastic:

An abortion is nothing to be proud about.  If a person does have one, it usually has a life long effect on that person.  The shirt should read, "I sought counseling after my abortion." 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MsDenuninani
by Bronze Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Actually, if every women who'd ever had an abortion - for whatever reason - wore this t-shirt on the same day, we'd have some very surprised people.

So true.  Ultimately, that I think would be the best thing about the shirt.  It would be a kind of coming-out-of-the-closet for women.  Chances are, many of the women out there who call others sociopaths, killlers, etc., don't realize that it's their friends, neighbors, and family members they're talking about.

I think I would feel weird about wearing an "I had an abortion" t-shirt, because it would out me as someone who has, in all likelihood, had unprotected sex.  And I'd feel more embarassed about that.   Many of us have had an Oops! but we don't want to proudly display them.

mommygiggles317
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting tm88rn:

That is very untrue. Yes, some women have life long effects, but those women are almost always the ones who did not want to abort and felt forced or coerced into having one. I've had an abortion, 8 years ago, and I don't have any effects from it, I never have. I've never had or needed counseling. Most women do not. An abortion in itself is not something to be proud of, but making the choice sometimes is. It certainly is nothing to be ashamed of.

Quoting paperorplastic:

An abortion is nothing to be proud about.  If a person does have one, it usually has a life long effect on that person.  The shirt should read, "I sought counseling after my abortion." 

My mother forced me to have an talked me into getting an abortion when I was 15 years old. Do I regret it. No. If I had given birth back then, today I'd more than likely be one of the so-called poor people who feel as if they are "entitled" to government hand outs. If I had became a mother at such a young age, I more than likely would not have been a college student at the age of 17. Those college credits I earned back then, left the door open for me to be a college student today. Today, i stand as an assett to society, not a liability. Today, I am a damn good mother to a happy, productive child, this may not have been the case back then. That experience taught me a valuable lesson - it would be another 15 years until I became pregnant again. Next month I will be 33 years old. I am happy to say that I have one child, I work and study hard and I'm enjoying motherhood. I can't imagine how different my life would have been if things had turned out differently...

love you signExercising Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding...

mommygiggles317
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Ain't that the truth...

love you signExercising Knowledge, Wisdom and Understanding...

paperorplastic
by Silver Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM
2 moms liked this

All I can say is, my God have mercy on your soul for being proud of your choices.   You really blow me away.

Quoting tm88rn:

The good thing is, you don't have to understand my thoughts or comments. You are free to think that I am cold and callous. Yes, I am proud of the choices I've made. As for the effects, yes, of course it can have a lasting effect. But those women are almost always the ones who didn't really want an abortion to begin with. A few who did will have effects, the majority won't.

Quoting paperorplastic:

The key word I used is "usually."  I totally disagree with you regarding the effects it can have on a person.  Really, making the choice to kill your own child is something to proud of?  Sorry, but your thoughts are cold and callous, and I can not even wrap my mind around your comment. 

Quoting tm88rn:

Quoting paperorplastic:

gammie
by on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:40 PM
3 moms liked this

sorry Friday there is no way your friend got pregnant by using two forms of BC. She did not use them right.

A co-worker of my niece told her she got pregnant on the pill. Will she thinks you only take the pill when going to have sex. A Condom has be put on before the penis  touches the women.

Some women just do know how to use BC.

And YES I have been told by a lot of women they will not use Birth control because they are lazy.

Quoting Friday:

Quoting gammie:

That is just plain ugly, I killed a baby T-shirt, great!

That is something you should not be proud of. If birth control is taken correctly you will not need a abortion. Should always use two forms of Birth control if you are not ready to have a baby.

Respect your body, respect life that is my choice.

BC fails all the time, even when used properly. I have a friend who was on the pill and using condoms, still got pregnant.

Friday
by Platinum Member on Apr. 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Quoting gammie:

sorry Friday there is no way your friend got pregnant by using two forms of BC. She did not use them right.

A co-worker of my niece told her she got pregnant on the pill. Will she thinks you only take the pill when going to have sex. A Condom has be put on before the penis  touches the women.

Some women just do know how to use BC.

And YES I have been told by a lot of women they will not use Birth control because they are lazy.

Quoting Friday:

Quoting gammie:

That is just plain ugly, I killed a baby T-shirt, great!

That is something you should not be proud of. If birth control is taken correctly you will not need a abortion. Should always use two forms of Birth control if you are not ready to have a baby.

Respect your body, respect life that is my choice.

BC fails all the time, even when used properly. I have a friend who was on the pill and using condoms, still got pregnant.

I don't know what to tell you, it happened. She was over 40 with grown kids and knew how to use it.

I got pregnant on the pill while breastfeeding and I know how to take it. Used it w/o problem for many years. Stuff happens.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)