Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cafemoms/Voters in Farm country any thoughts on Labor Dept Rule

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:29 PM
  • 25 Replies

A proposal from the Obama administration to prevent children from doing farm chores has drawn plenty of criticism from rural-district members of Congress. But now it’s attracting barbs from farm kids themselves.

The Department of Labor is poised to put the finishing touches on a rule that would apply child-labor laws to children working on family farms, prohibiting them from performing a list of jobs on their own families’ land.

Under the rules, children under 18 could no longer work “in the storing, marketing and transporting of farm product raw materials.”

Read more: http://dailycaller.com/2012/04/25/rural-kids-parents-angry-about-labor-dept-rule-banning-farm-chores/#ixzz1t4Q9tivB

___________________________________________________________________________________

I wasn't raised on a farm so I cannot speak to working on  a farm. I know it's very hard work.

Overreach or right on target?  Thoughts. 
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I've never lived or worked on a farm, but I think that is BS.  There is nothing wrong with having your child help on the family farm, just as there is nothing wrong with having your child help work in any family business.  Kids have been doing it for hundreds of years.

imamomzilla
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:32 PM
4 moms liked this

What a joke. Hard works builds character.

Instead of chores,  we're encouraging kids to sit on the arses all day and play stupid video games. What happened to MO's "Get up and Move!" campaign?

pfft. Welcome to the Nanny State.

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:40 PM
2 moms liked this

So if this ruling is enacted as a law, will farms have to hire employees that are of age?  What if those employees don't have the proper training as deemed by the gov't, will those new hires have to take a gov't training courses?  Will the farmer have to join some type of union so that his new employees are taking advantage of?  Will the farmers have to be EOE's?  Where will all of this lead.....perhaps, to the death of the family farm.

imamomzilla
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:44 PM
2 moms liked this

That's the end game. Small farms are folding up left and right because of the regs....now, let's eliminate the work force.

Control the food, control the people.

*smh

Quoting rocketracer:

So if this ruling is enacted as a law, will farms have to hire employees that are of age?  What if those employees don't have the proper training as deemed by the gov't, will those new hires have to take a gov't training courses?  Will the farmer have to join some type of union so that his new employees are taking advantage of?  Will the farmers have to be EOE's?  Where will all of this lead.....perhaps, to the death of the family farm.

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:51 PM

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Why did this need to be changed?

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

That is CRAP!!!! This is a nail in the coffin of the family farm.  Might as well just hand everything over to Cargill and Monsanto!  SMH!  Idiots!

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting bluerooffarm:

That is CRAP!!!! This is a nail in the coffin of the family farm.  Might as well just hand everything over to Cargill and Monsanto!  SMH!  Idiots!

I think that is the idea.  Monsanto is evil.  Talk about the devil's minions...

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 12:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Why did this need to be changed?

Labor Department is claiming it's a child safety issue.  Can the gov't save us from ourselves???? I'm always leery when someone from the gov't says "Hi, I'm from the gov't and I'm here to help you." 

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I have taken a few breaths.  But I still think this is a very bad idea.  What about the 4 H program?  Those kids help with all aspects of those animals and learn so much.  It sounds like this would no longer be allowed.  I worked on a farm as a "child" learned so much about responsibility and prioritizing.  It's so sad to think that kids would no longer be involved.  BUT how are they going to enforce this?  Are we now going to rat each other out?  Is it going to be considered child abuse?  What is wrong with these people?  Oh I know, they've been away from the farm too long!

rocketracer
by Gold Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

I have taken a few breaths.  But I still think this is a very bad idea.  What about the 4 H program?  Those kids help with all aspects of those animals and learn so much.  It sounds like this would no longer be allowed.  I worked on a farm as a "child" learned so much about responsibility and prioritizing.  It's so sad to think that kids would no longer be involved.  BUT how are they going to enforce this?  Are we now going to rat each other out?  Is it going to be considered child abuse?  What is wrong with these people?  Oh I know, they've been away from the farm too long!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

From the article: 

The new regulations, first proposed August 31 by Labor Secretary Hilda Solis, would also revoke the government's approval of safety training and certification taught by independent groups like 4-H and FFA, replacing them instead with a 90-hour federal government training course....

And jobs that could "inflict pain on an animal" would also be off-limits for kids. But "inflicting pain," Clark explained, is left undefined: If it included something like putting a halter on a steer, 4-H and FFA animal shows would be a thing of the past.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)