Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Marine who criticized President Obama on Facebook to be discharged

Posted by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:34 PM
  • 13 Replies

Marine who criticized President Obama on Facebook to be discharged

Handout via Associated Press

Gary Stein, a Marine stationed at Camp Pendleton near San Diego, learned Wednesday that he will be discharged from the military for his online comments criticizing the Obama administration.

The U.S. Marine Corps has decided to discharge a sergeant for criticizing President Barack Obama on Facebook.

The Corps said Wednesday that Sgt. Gary Stein will be given an other-than-honorable discharge for violating Pentagon policy limiting speech of service members.

The discharge means he will lose all military benefits. According to a Facebook post on the site that originally got him in trouble, the discharge was postponed. Stein's "discharge will be postponed until results of a medical condition, he was diagnosed with on Monday, are returned and treatment is discussed," the message said.

Two weeks ago, Stein was denied a restraining order that would have temporarily halted his dismissal.

He had sought relief from U.S. District Court Judge Marilyn Huff after a military board recommended his dismissal.

Judge Huff declined to intervene for Stein, saying since she is not a military expert, she cannot rule on issues of military law.

Stein, a nine-year member of the U.S. Marines, started a Facebook group called "Armed Forces Tea Party" in 2010.

Since its creation, the page has displayed numerous posts criticizing President Barack Obama that Stein's commanding officers called into question.

“How can some words that I wrote on Facebook outweigh my 9 years of service?” Stein asked in court on April 13.

One posting brought up during a recent hearing showed President Obama's face superimposed on a jackass, the Associated Press reported.

Another document brought forward in an earlier proceeding revealed that Stein posted on a Marine meteorology and oceanographic Facebook page March 23, "As an active Marine I say, 'Screw Obama' and I will not follow orders from him."

There were at least four other times a U.S. attorney told Stein to tone down his "inflammatory" political comments. His lawyers say the possibility of discharge is "absurd" and "heavy handed." Stein's lawyers say the Marine Corps is trying to "railroad a good Marine out of the Corps" for expressing his First Amendment rights.

After Stein posted objections to Obama's health care policy and encouraged others to go against the orders of superiors if they disagreed with the actions, the U.S. Marine Corps decided to reconsider a previous decision to not take punitive action against him.

The military started monitoring Stein's Facebook group after he posted his stance against prosecuting Americans for burning the Quran in Afghanistan.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/04/25/11394219-marine-who-criticized-president-obama-on-facebook-to-be-discharged?fb_ref=.T5h4t5uh1_Q.like&fb_source=other_multiline

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Citygirlk
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:54 PM
He looks kinda like vin diesel. And I think he really should of thought before he spoke or in this case typed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lunarprancer
by Bronze Member on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Freedom of speech?
katzmeow726
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Not in the military. And lets say you called your boss a jacka** while on the job even if it was behind his.back, and encouraged employees to ignore him....do you think you would keep your job?

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Freedom of speech?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ragitty
by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:59 PM

I am not a fan of Obama's, but I have always said the military needs to watch what they say, especially online, about the president (no matter who it happens to be at the time). The president is the Master and Commander, aka their BOSS. In the real world, if you publically speak out against your boss, you will lose your job. Why should the military be any different? My cousin is in the navy, and I have caught him bashing Obama from time to time and I have called him out on it.

joey125
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Good

Lunarprancer
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:01 AM
Quoting katzmeow726:

Honestly, I can see how some troops wouldn't or can't identify with him being the Commander...

With light and love

jadedcynic
by Nerdilicious on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:08 AM

Disrespect for the Commander-in-Chief is always grounds for Dishonorable Discharge.

im23vaughn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:41 AM
1 mom liked this

"One posting brought up during a recent hearing showed President Obama's face superimposed on a jackass,

Stein posted on a Marine meteorology and oceanographic Facebook page March 23, "As an active Marine I say, 'Screw Obama' and I will not follow orders from him."

There were at least four other times a U.S. attorney told Stein to tone down his "inflammatory" political comments

After Stein posted objections to Obama's health care policy and encouraged others to go against the orders of superiors if they disagreed with the actions,  "

So this Marine did this SIX times with at least 1 time he actively encouraged his peers to go against the orders of their superiors and he's wondering why he was discharged without benefits?

He was warned multiple times. He was told to take down the page. 1. it's a violation of military policy for a military person to create a webpage being affliated with ANY party. 2. He blatantly disrespected his boss 3. He encouraged his peers to disrespect their boss.

Good riddance. ALL military soliders should respect their higher ups. It doesn't matter if the commander in chief is a Dem, Rep, or etc. I do not want my family members over in Iraq with some dumbass who thinks it's okay to go against a direct order from a higher up. I could cost my family members their lives.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:01 AM
GOOD RIDDANCE.

You make the uniform look bad and I'm glad the Corps booted your dumb a$$
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:02 AM
Your point is?

He broke code of conduct rules MULTIPLE times. And as a SGT he knew better.

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Quoting katzmeow726:

Honestly, I can see how some troops wouldn't or can't identify with him being the Commander...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)