Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Let me get this straight....

by on Apr. 25, 2012 at 11:59 PM
Replies (21-30):
lylalane7275
by Silver Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:21 AM

What?????

Quoting _Kissy_:

technically it is the govs money, without them you wouldn't have any money

Pamela05
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this
So we are basically slaves in your eyes?

Quoting lylalane7275:

What?????

Quoting _Kissy_:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pamela05
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:32 AM
2 moms liked this

The government does not  have rights. I have natural rights and they exist because I am human. I do not buy into social contract theory. I believe in property rights and the non-agression principle.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

What we earn is OURS, not theirs!

When you accept the benefits of being a citizen of a country, you accept the social contract that gives the government a right to remove some of the money you earn and say "This portion is no longer individually yours.  This is now part of a collective pot that we, society collectively (via representatives) get to make a collective decision upon how to use for our collective benefit."

I bet you go to a 'bring and share' lunch then grab back the chocolates you brought saying "No!  I brought those ones, they're MINE.", after already having munched on the delicious salad someone else brought.

You probably try to justify it by saying that the chocolates cost you more than her salad cost her, so you're a net contributor to the meal, while she's a beggar and a taker.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:35 AM

I love your quote it's so true.  See you have to understand, if you're sucessful and save right and invest right, you then have to give it to someone who wants to be on GA for life. 

GA is NOT  A FULL TIME JOB!

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Obama is personally doing something with your money? Strange accusation.

I'm a taxpayer.  What are my tax dollars spent on?

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Honestly, I don't like getting raises or bonuses at work because they will take more out of me.

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Quoting Pamela05:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting toomanypoodles:

What we earn is OURS, not theirs!

When you accept the benefits of being a citizen of a country, you accept the social contract that gives the government a right to remove some of the money you earn and say "This portion is no longer individually yours.  This is now part of a collective pot that we, society collectively (via representatives) get to make a collective decision upon how to use for our collective benefit."

I bet you go to a 'bring and share' lunch then grab back the chocolates you brought saying "No!  I brought those ones, they're MINE.", after already having munched on the delicious salad someone else brought.

You probably try to justify it by saying that the chocolates cost you more than her salad cost her, so you're a net contributor to the meal, while she's a beggar and a taker.

The government does not  have rights. I have natural rights and they exist because I am human. I do not buy into social contract theory. I believe in property rights and the non-agression principle.

How do you advocate a country pays for defending those rights?  Or do you not buy into collectivised defence either?  Do you intend to protect your property rights and your rights not to be aggressed against, by owing a handgun?

"  The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich and the poor alike to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.  "

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Quoting jejstover:

the government does not -- can not -- create wealth.

Once you have 1 million dollars, you can use that plus wise investment decisions to make 1.1 million dollars.

If that is "wealth creation" when an individual does it, or a financier does it on behalf of a client, then why call it something different when a government does it on behalf of a group of individuals?

Clairwil
by Gold Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:11 PM

Quoting jejstover:

Quoting _Kissy_:

The notion that the money is technically the governments [...] is inaccurate. 

You are confusing money (the medium of exchange) with the value it represents.

If you use US Dollars, then you are using as a medium of exchange something that is issued by the government (or banks/fed_reserve on behalf of the government).

If you were to use Japanese Yen then it wouldn't be the US Gov's money, and you could do pretty much the same things as you did differently, just paying with different coloured pieces of paper (assuming the people selling the things you want to buy will accept those pieces of paper in exchange for stuff).

If you didn't have any money, you'd still have the value behind it, you'd just store it in a different form.

etsmom
by Member on Apr. 26, 2012 at 12:56 PM

Appearently. I try not to follow the norm.

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Apr. 26, 2012 at 1:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting roseytheriveter:

I'm reading the responses on here and I'm just in awe of how uninformed you all are about this admistration.  I'm not the smartest person on this board by far, but even I understand that Obama's POLICIES affect spending, and he is the person who initiates these decisions that are being made, so YES he is responsible for the outrageous deficit, outrageous misappropriation of MY tax dollars.  All of you are being taken for a ride...a ride that I want off of, which is why I am doing all I can to get this guy VOTED OUT in November.

clapping

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)