Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Gas Prices Are Going Up & It’s Obama’s Fault (The Stir)

Posted by   + Show Post

Posted by Jenny Erikson

It’s hard to find gas for less than $4 per gallon in my neck of the woods, and the experts are telling me that I should enjoy this low price while I can, because rates are only going to go up. Please excuse me while I curl into a ball on the floor and weep openly. If only tears could fuel my SUV, I’d be good to go.

Gasoline fuels my vehicle, as it fuels every other vehicle out there (even the coal-powered cars use some gas). Petroleum is a basic necessity in our modern world -- it’s used in practically everything. We need oil to keep the wheels of our economy turning, so why is President Obama so eager to restrict our access to it by making it cost-prohibitive? Even more to the point, since higher fuel costs affect the lower income earners disproportionately to the wealthy – why does President Obama hate poor people? They're going to be suffering the most with high gas prices.

This president has been nothing but bad news on the energy front. His moratorium in the Gulf of Mexico bankrupted Seahawk Drilling and put over 600 people out of work. His rejection of the Keystone XL pipeline to transfer crude oil from Canada to refineries in Texas not only robs the United States of thousands of jobs, but harms the planet because now Canada will ship that oil to China, which will create a lot more pollution than if it had gone to Texas.

We import nearly 60% of the oil used here in America, and much of that comes from the Middle East. In case you hadn’t heard, things aren’t all sunshine and rosebuds over there. On Monday, Iran announced that it would no longer export oil to Britain and France. The U.S. does not import oil from Iran, and now Britain and France are going to be going after the same sources as us. It’s basic economics: Limited supply plus increased demand equals skyrocketing prices.

What’s that? We should be focusing on green, renewable energy? We should invest in, oh I don’t know … let’s say … a solar panel company? How about $535 million in taxpayer dollars? Is that enough? Ok, done. Wait … that already happened. Solyndra went bankrupt after George Kaiser, one of Barack Obama’s campaign bundlers, got a big fat payout. Just because that wasn’t painful enough on its own, they later threw the existing solar panels into the trash.

As more nations industrialize and develop a need for oil, it becomes more and more important that we increase our supply. We have plenty of oil -- tons of it. We just have to get it. Right now, our president is standing in our way. It’s a good thing it’s an election year, because if Barack Obama won’t get out of the way in making America energy independent, we’ll vote someone in who will.

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:25 AM
Replies (11-20):
TurboMom81
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

People seem to forget that the President has NO power over the gas price! It's the greedy oil companies who are making a 200% + profit!

wedding ticker

eastcoastmama11
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Well we could use the money from the raising the taxes of America's richest to invest in renewable energy ...but that's only going to be 300billion... so I guess that won't cut it.

Oh! Why not use the 300million that would be saved from cutting funding to planned parenthood!

That makes much more sense.

Yeah..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:32 AM
I agree! lol

Quoting kcangel63:

Yep!

IMO, the Bush admin is just as at fault for this mess as the Obama admin. There is no difference between the two sides. They are the same. It's funny how people can't see that.

Rant over. LOL!

Quoting AdellesMom:

I understand that. I don't call him that because I realize why more people are on FS. I just think its ridiculous to say that he hates poor people. Esepecially since Republicans have given him that title.

Quoting kcangel63:

He's only the goods stamps pres because our economy has tanked, and our dollar is worth nothing. Due to that, many people can't afford to buy food.

Quoting AdellesMom:

"why does President Obama hate poor people?" Thay question makes no sense. I thought he was the "food stamps President.?" Y'all can't have that both ways.

Anywho, let's blame everything on Obama instead of these greedy companies and their lobbyists! That makes perfect sense! (That was total sarcasm for the sarcasm impaired.)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LIMom1105
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:49 AM

Quoting TurboMom81:

People seem to forget that the President has NO power over the gas price! It's the greedy oil companies who are making a 200% + profit!

I know, it's conveniently forgotten. Gas was very high one summer under Bush (2008 I believe), similar to the prices we are seeing now.  Some blamed Bush at the time also, though honestly, the President has very little effect upon gas prices. So I didn't blame Bush then, I don't blame Obama now.

But there are always people who jump to this argument for poltical reasons.

TurboMom81
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:21 PM

People just want to blame everything on the President.  The man really has no power. The Senate runs everything!

Quoting LIMom1105:

Quoting TurboMom81:

I know, it's conveniently forgotten. Gas was very high one summer under Bush (2008 I believe), similar to the prices we are seeing now.  Some blamed Bush at the time also, though honestly, the President has very little effect upon gas prices. So I didn't blame Bush then, I don't blame Obama now.

But there are always people who jump to this argument for poltical reasons.

wedding ticker

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Friday
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this

The United States is the largest oil importer in the world, bringing in 13.5 million barrels per day (mbd), which accounts for 63.5 percent of total U.S. daily consumption (20.6 mbd). [1] Oil from the Middle East (specifically, the Persian Gulf) accounts for 17 percent of U.S. oil imports, and this dependence is growing.

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2006/04/reducing-us-dependence-on-middle-eastern-oil

U.S. Dependent on Middle East Oil? Think Again.

Email this post Print this post
By Global Macro Monitor - February 26th, 2011, 5:00AM

Given the unrest in the Middle East we’re hearing a lot of noise these days about how the U.S. is totally dependent on oil imports from that region of the world.   The data, however, does not confirm these assertions.

We were surprised by the following table from the E.I.A. which shows the U.S. imports only about 25 percent of its crude oil from the Middle East and just 10  percent when Saudi Arabia is excluded.  It is our sense that Saudi is much more politically stable than oil traders believe. This is not to say the U.S. won’t have to pay the world market price if supply is disrupted from Libya or elsewhere, however.  (click here if table is not observable)

20ish % isn't "much" of our imports as the op states. If the writer can't get this part right I doubt much else is right.

Just another Obama hit piece.

H.R.H. Friday of MaryJane

shannonnigans
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:10 PM
Quoting Friday:

The United States is the
largest oil importer in the world, bringing in 13.5 million barrels
per day (mbd), which accounts for 63.5 percent of total U.S. daily
consumption (20.6 mbd). [1] Oil from the Middle
East (specifically, the Persian Gulf) accounts for 17 percent
of U.S. oil imports
and this dependence is growing.

http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2006/04/reducing-us-dependence-on-middle-eastern-oil

U.S. Dependent on Middle East Oil? Think Again.

Email this post
Print this post

By Global Macro Monitor - February 26th, 2011, 5:00AM

Given the unrest in the Middle East we’re hearing a lot of
noise these days about how the U.S. is totally dependent on oil imports
from that region of the world.   The data, however, does not confirm
these assertions.

We were surprised by the following table from the E.I.A.
which shows the U.S. imports only about 25 percent of its crude oil
from the Middle East and just 10  percent when Saudi Arabia is
excluded.  It is our sense that Saudi is much more politically stable than oil traders believe.
This is not to say the U.S. won’t have to pay the world market price if
supply is disrupted from Libya or elsewhere, however.  (click here if table is not observable)

20ish % isn't "much" of our imports as the op states. If the writer can't get this part right I doubt much else is right.

Just another Obama hit piece.

Exactly!! I didn't have the stats handy but I was pretty sure this was the case. Not only is this a hit piece, it's easily deconstructed.
erika9009
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 1:32 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting jlo1313:

I agree that Obama's decisions and lack of being able to put together any type of green energy plan are standing in our way, but the issues with oil go far deeper.  We export most of the oil we produce in the US, we face OPEC, the cockiest organization in the world and allow them free reign over world trading of oil and we have the richest oil companies in America reaping record high profits and stuffing dollar bills in congressmen's and senator's pants on a daily basis.  Oil companies stand in the way of progressive change to green energy and historically  they always have.  As long as business keeps going the way it is going it is not going to affect anyone except the poor and middle class and continue to drain them.  We need to stop giving power to the oil companies, we need to demand more of our own natural resources stay, we need transparency from government and we need to push our lawmakers to reign in OPEC.  If China can promise to put 500,000 electric cars on their roads by 2015, what the hell is wrong with America promising to do the same or double it?  Its not the people...

Because in America, the gov can't force you to buy an electric car.  In China, the gov can make you do just about anything. 

For an electric car to make it here, it has to be feasible to operate.  It cannot make any dramatic change to the way people live their lives.  The way electric cars and infrastucture are now. It's not a reasonable replacement.

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Apr. 27, 2012 at 2:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting AdellesMom:

"why does President Obama hate poor people?" That question makes no sense. I thought he was the "food stamps President.?" Y'all can't have that both ways.

Anywho, let's blame everything on Obama instead of these greedy companies and their lobbyists! That makes perfect sense! (That was total sarcasm for the sarcasm impaired.)

Obama continues to blame Bush for everything....

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN