Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is "social liberal, fiscal conservative" an oxymoron???

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:23 PM
  • 20 Replies

I didn't want to hijack the other thread, but I don't understand how someone that considers themselves liberal socially would consider that stance to be conservative fiscally.  All of these social programs that the government is involved in are EXTREMELY costly.  Even if we shut down the government entirely, we could not afford the social programs we have today - yet if a conservative whispers that maybe we should cut back on the funding of a social program, heads start exploding.

It may sound like a snarky question, but I'm serious in trying to understand.

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
matreshka
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:25 PM
2 moms liked this

No I don't think its an oxymoron.  To me that is what I see a Libertarian as.  People who want others to live their lives as they see fit without judgement yet conservative about goverment spending.

momtoscott
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:48 PM

I personally use socially liberal not in the sense of wanting to preserve "entitlement" programs, but of allowing people to be free to make what some would call nontraditional choices, such as who they want to have sex with and/or marry.  It has nothing to do with government-funded programs.  For me it's more about tolerance. 

I might feel a personal disagreement with another person's religious or sexual or vocational choices.  However, I would not want to have my own choices about my family or my beliefs, etc., regulated by others, so I try to live by the golden rule in this regard.   As long as I pay my taxes and my bills and am fair to others and take care of the people who depend on me, I'd like my private life left alone.  That's what I mean by socially liberal, at any rate. 

rachelrothchild
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:51 PM
3 moms liked this

Socially liberal has nothing to do with social programs.  It is about morality-issues such as gay marriage, legalizing marijuana, and abortion.  Libertarians are often fiscally conservative and socially liberal.  About half are pro-life and half are pro-choice (or they believe the government should stay out of abortion altogether).  They believe people should be free to live their lives as they choose, as long as they don't hurt anyone else.

godotherightthi
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 3:57 PM

Is this a case of "I do not think that means what you think it means" (yes, I just quoted Princess Bride)? 

The definition of social liberalism is an embracing of social justice through entitlement programs. It's not about the individual, it's about the community or group.

Here's a good article I found the explains what I mean:

http://socialliberal.net/2009/02/12/what-is-social-liberalism/

erika9009
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:32 PM

It's being portrayed that way a lot because the programs take up so much of the budget now a days.

To me socially liberal would be things like:

Abortion is ok

Gay and lesbian is ok

etc

Quoting rachelrothchild:

Socially liberal has nothing to do with social programs.  It is about morality-issues such as gay marriage, legalizing marijuana, and abortion.  Libertarians are often fiscally conservative and socially liberal.  About half are pro-life and half are pro-choice (or they believe the government should stay out of abortion altogether).  They believe people should be free to live their lives as they choose, as long as they don't hurt anyone else.

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

rachelrothchild
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Well, if you are talking about taxpayer funded abortions, birth control, and stuff like that...those would be social programs based on moral issues.

Quoting erika9009:

It's being portrayed that way a lot because the programs take up so much of the budget now a days.

Abortion is ok

Gay and lesbian is ok

etc

Quoting rachelrothchild:

CafeMom Tickers
rachelrothchild
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 4:56 PM

This is a good article too:

http://www.examiner.com/article/are-libertarians-socially-liberal

"While many libertarians and social liberals may agree on the hot-button social issues (abortion and gay marriage), libertarians and social liberals tend to disagree on affirmative action and gun control, as well as education and campaign finance reform and several other social issues. Libertarians generally believe that affirmative action is antiquated and unjust, that restrictions on gun ownership should be limited, that public education needs to be radically reformed (or eliminated entirely), and that campaign finance reform is unconstitional. Social liberals typically take the opposite position in each case.

This is not a simple difference of opinion, but rather a fundamental ideological divergence. While libertarians are thoroughly individualstic on every social (and economic) matter, social liberals are far more willing to support an active state to ensure a certain set of desired results." 

I think the issue here is that "socially liberal" and "social liberalism" mean different things.

I am not a fan of social justice.  It is inherently unfair.

Quoting godotherightthi:

Is this a case of "I do not think that means what you think it means" (yes, I just quoted Princess Bride)? 

The definition of social liberalism is an embracing of social justice through entitlement programs. It's not about the individual, it's about the community or group.

Here's a good article I found the explains what I mean:

http://socialliberal.net/2009/02/12/what-is-social-liberalism/

CafeMom Tickers
erika9009
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Yeah, that's starting to blur the lines there.  I don't think much is that black and white.

Quoting rachelrothchild:

Well, if you are talking about taxpayer funded abortions, birth control, and stuff like that...those would be social programs based on moral issues.

Quoting erika9009:

Abortion is ok

Gay and lesbian is ok

etc

Quoting rachelrothchild:

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Socially liberal means that I want everyone to have every right possible, not that i support social programs.  I am pro-choice, pro gay marriage, pro- racial and gender equality, pro-birth control.  Basically, I believe everyone should go do as they want unless it actually harms another human being. 

I am fiscally conservative because I want the gov't to stop spending so much and allow us to handle all of the responsibilities that come with our freedom.

PamR
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:03 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't think it is.  Most people don't fit into a neat "box" that describes all their beliefs along the lines of liberal/conservative. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)