Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Pay Us Back: Boehner and GOP Owe Taxpayers $124 Million for Bush Vacation Travel

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:35 PM
  • 60 Replies
2 moms liked this

President George W. Bush spent over 124 million taxpayer dollars on trips to his ranch in Crawford, TX, and using John Boehner’s logic we demand that the GOP pay us back.

While trying to distract America from the fact that his own caucus passed a budget that would double the interest rate on student loans, Speaker of the House John Boehner is whipping up the faux outrage over the cost of President Obama’s travel this week. Today, Boehner said, “This week, the President traveled across the country on taxpayers’ dime, at a cost of $179,000 an hour, insisting that Congress fix a problem that we were already working on. Frankly, I think this is beneath the dignity of the White House.”

Not surprisingly, John Boehner was totally silent when President George W. Bush was setting the presidential record for most vacation days. Bush was not only on vacation more than any other president. He spent more money on non-official travel than any other president in American history. As president, George W. Bush used Air Force One to fly to his ranch in Crawford, TX for vacation.

Boehner’s comments about the cost of Obama’s travel got us thinking about how much money the Republican Party owes taxpayers for George W. Bush’s non-official vacation travels. Using a method that we have cleverly coined Boehner Math, this is what we came up with.

Number of George W. Bush flights for vacation in Crawford, TX: 77

Cost of running Air Force One: $179,000/hour

Flight time one way from the White House to Crawford: 4.5 hours

Cost of one way flight: $805,500

Roundtrip cost: $1,611,000

Total cost to taxpayers of Bush’s vacation trips to the ranch: $124,047,000

Unlike President Bush who used Air Force One as personal vacation and campaign jet, President Obama’s events were held to discuss the public policy issue of the impending increase in the student loan interest rate. Bush spent over $124 million of our tax dollars flying to Crawford to clear brush, and while he was doing this Republicans like John Boehner never demanded that he pay back the cost of his travel to the taxpayers.

Boehner and the Republican Party just don’t get it. This is a non-issue, and if they really want people to look into the cost of presidential travel, they aren’t going to like the results. They are not going to be able to paint Obama as a presidential globetrotter whose largesse is coming on the taxpayer dime.

Instead of creating a distraction issue, Boehner and the Republican Party attack on President Obama has alerted the American people to the fact that they owe us a whole lot of money. And we would like to be paid.

George W. Bush and the Republican Party owe taxpayers over $124 million, so until Boehner and Bush pay us back, the Speaker needs to keep his hypocrisy infected mouth closed.

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 5:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 6:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Unlike President Bush who used Air Force One as personal vacation and campaign jet, President Obama’s events were held to discuss the public policy issue of the impending increase in the student loan interest rate. Bush spent over $124 million of our tax dollars flying to Crawford to clear brush, and while he was doing this Republicans like John Boehner never demanded that he pay back the cost of his travel to the taxpayers.

Seriously? EVERY time Obama has used AF1 it's been to discuss the public policy issue of student loan interest rate increases? You mean he NEVER used it to go on vacation? And he has never used it to go somewhere that could be used for campaigning? How did someone type that sentence with a straight face?

Bush may have gone to his ranch a lot. But when he did I believe the SS stayed on the ranch with him. There was also no need to send them there a week or so in advance to scout out the place. Both of those saved a lot of money. I wonder why the Obamas never go home to Chicago to their house for some downtime, why always somewhere else?

im23vaughn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:13 PM
2 moms liked this

Doesn't the SS travel every where Obama goes too? Do you really think all those vacations that Bush took that weren't TX didn't have the SS going and scouting in advance? Or how about all that  "official " travel he did during the 2004 election cycle to various states. Both parties do it when they are POTUS.   Oh and Obama has gone to Chicago many times. You just don't follow Obama news enough to know that.

Why don't you just admit that this argument is a stupid argument no matter who brings it up Dem or Rep & that it needs to quit being addressed seeing that NONE of our POTUS can just hop on South West to fly & they bring their SS everywhere.

Why don't we focus on valid arguments instead of silliness for a change?

Quoting DSamuels:

Seriously? EVERY time Obama has used AF1 it's been to discuss the public policy issue of student loan interest rate increases? You mean he NEVER used it to go on vacation? And he has never used it to go somewhere that could be used for campaigning? How did someone type that sentence with a straight face?

Bush may have gone to his ranch a lot. But when he did I believe the SS stayed on the ranch with him. There was also no need to send them there a week or so in advance to scout out the place. Both of those saved a lot of money. I wonder why the Obamas never go home to Chicago to their house for some downtime, why always somewhere else?

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Well, seeing as the OP was about the trips Bush made to TX, that's what I was talking about. And I wasn't aware of them going back to Chicago "many times". I remember hearing about him going back a couple times, not going back and staying there like Bush did with his ranch.

I agree, it is stupid. I was trying to point out the stupidity of the argument. Guess you didn't get it.

President George W. Bush spent over 124 million taxpayer dollars on trips to his ranch in Crawford, TX, and using John Boehner’s logic we demand that the GOP pay us back.

Quoting im23vaughn:

Doesn't the SS travel every where Obama goes too? Do you really think all those vacations that Bush took that weren't TX didn't have the SS going and scouting in advance? Or how about all that  "official " travel he did during the 2004 election cycle to various states. Both parties do it when they are POTUS.   Oh and Obama has gone to Chicago many times. You just don't follow Obama news enough to know that.

Why don't you just admit that this argument is a stupid argument no matter who brings it up Dem or Rep & that it needs to quit being addressed seeing that NONE of our POTUS can just hop on South West to fly & they bring their SS everywhere.

Quoting DSamuels:

TruthSeeker.
by CM Junkie on Apr. 27, 2012 at 8:16 PM
2 moms liked this

Will the Obamas also be paying us back? Hmmmm

Carpy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting DSamuels:

I have always wondered why no trips home to Chicago.

im23vaughn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 1:33 AM

This statement that you made right here showed you did get it. This statement implied that "yea Bush went on a lot of vacations, but they were to his ranch unlike Obama who didn't go to his house. "

No he doesn't go to Chicago as much as Bush went to his ranch, but that may have something to do with the fact that Bush's ranch is out in the middle of nowhere with acres of land while Obama's house is in the middle of a city with neighbors less than 2 minutes away. Obama is from Hawaii and he travels there at least once a year as well.

But if you meant that the argument was silly & shouldn't be discussed, then I will give you the benefit of the doubt. = )

Quoting DSamuels:

Well, seeing as the OP was about the trips Bush made to TX, that's what I was talking about. And I wasn't aware of them going back to Chicago "many times". I remember hearing about him going back a couple times, not going back and staying there like Bush did with his ranch.

I agree, it is stupid. I was trying to point out the stupidity of the argument. Guess you didn't get it.

Quoting im23vaughn:

Quoting DSamuels:

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:24 AM
2 moms liked this
It's ok for all white presidents to travel freely

Black Presidents should just be happy they are allowed to be there...never vacation or use the same means of travel every other white first family has enjoyed..

At least according to fox republicans
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:26 AM
He has traveled to Chicago

He goes to Hawaii also

Bush was also from CT, how many trips there?

Quoting Carpy:

Quoting DSamuels:

Unlike President Bush who used Air Force One as personal vacation and campaign jet,
President Obama’s events were held to discuss the public policy issue
of the impending increase in the student loan interest rate
. Bush spent
over $124 million of our tax dollars flying to Crawford to clear brush,
and while he was doing this Republicans like John Boehner never demanded
that he pay back the cost of his travel to the taxpayers.

I have always wondered why no trips home to Chicago.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Yes, Obama has not made Chicago his "western white house" as Bush called his ranch.

Quoting DSamuels:

Quoting im23vaughn:

Quoting DSamuels:

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on Apr. 28, 2012 at 9:19 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

It's ok for all white presidents to travel freely

Black Presidents should just be happy they are allowed to be there...never vacation or use the same means of travel every other white first family has enjoyed..

At least according to fox republicans

hmmm...I believe Obama is part white also. America is currently in a recession and the economy continues to drop according to many economists. Not the case when Bush was President~

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)