Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Elections and Write In's

Posted by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:30 PM
  • 14 Replies

Our Primaries are on May 8th.  I'm not sure if the candidate I would like to vote for will be on the docket.

Does anyone know if you can do a "write-in" in the Primaries?

Also, what does it take to get someone on the docket?

Different, but not less~Temple Grandin

by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 9:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
godotherightthi
by on Apr. 27, 2012 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm pretty sure it would depend on your state election rules.  There should be an elections office you could find out that info from.

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Apr. 27, 2012 at 11:26 PM

yeah, each state is different...    I'll make it easy for ya...   mark this name on the ballot. wink mini

jejstover
by Jan on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:03 AM

Quoting godotherightthi:

I'm pretty sure it would depend on your state election rules.  There should be an elections office you could find out that info from.

Yep ... you can contact your State Board of Elections office or your County Clerks office. Both should be able to tell you what is permitted regarding write-in candidates in your state's primaries.

Jan

jejstover
by Jan on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:25 AM

Quoting jejstover:
Quoting godotherightthi:

Yep ... you can contact your State Board of Elections office or your County Clerks office. Both should be able to tell you what is permitted regarding write-in candidates in your state's primaries.

Jan

Just out of curiosity, I googled "write-in candidates and primaries" and there were quite a few interesting articles regarding a number of different states that came up via the search. The articles offered info not only on the basic question of write-ins being permissible in primary elections, but what if anything is required for a candidate to be a write-in candidate (and for such write-in votes to be counted) -- and/or what is required in certain states should a write-in candidate win in the primary to be on the ballot in November.

You might find some interesting details about your state's primary practices through a google search as well -- but it would still be a good idea to verify the accuracy of that info via your State Board of Elections and/or County Clerk.

Jan

matreshka
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Call city hall they can ususally give the correct info.

Quoting godotherightthi:

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on Apr. 28, 2012 at 7:14 AM

I love the pic in your siggy.  :-)

TruthSeeker.
by CM Junkie on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Quoting Jambo4:

yeah, each state is different...    I'll make it easy for ya...   mark this name on the ballot. wink mini

Oh, I'm pretty sure he will already be there.

TruthSeeker.
by CM Junkie on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jejstover:

Quoting jejstover:
Quoting godotherightthi:

Jan

Just out of curiosity, I googled "write-in candidates and primaries" and there were quite a few interesting articles regarding a number of different states that came up via the search. The articles offered info not only on the basic question of write-ins being permissible in primary elections, but what if anything is required for a candidate to be a write-in candidate (and for such write-in votes to be counted) -- and/or what is required in certain states should a write-in candidate win in the primary to be on the ballot in November.

You might find some interesting details about your state's primary practices through a google search as well -- but it would still be a good idea to verify the accuracy of that info via your State Board of Elections and/or County Clerk.

Jan

Thanks!

TruthSeeker.
by CM Junkie on Apr. 28, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Quoting romalove:

I love the pic in your siggy.  :-)

Thanks!

4kidz916
by Gold Member on Apr. 28, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Thanks for posting this question.  Hopefully it will help us all become more informed on how our area handles it. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN