Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

How to Spot a Fake Politics News Story

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM
  • 11 Replies

5 Ways to Spot a B.S. Political Story in Under 10 Seconds

By: 

David Wong

April 30, 2012

An election year is a shit blizzard. Every place you go for news online -- whether it's portal sites like Reddit, or aggregators like Google News or Yahoo! News or RealClearPolitics, or goddamned clips from late night talk shows -- they're all about to get buried under a brown storm of bullshit inflammatory headlines desperate for your click.

This turdstorm of pointless click-bait filler is a problem for anyone who wants to be an informed voter. To learn anything useful, you need to be able to sort through all of the garbage to find the actual information and insight. So let me just tell you right now that you can safely ignore any story if ...

Read more: 5 Ways to Spot a B.S. Political Story in Under 10 Seconds | Cracked.com http://www.cracked.com/blog/5-ways-to-spot-b.s.-political-story-in-under-10-seconds_p2#ixzz1tXKvwkhz

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imamomzilla
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:20 AM

A site called "cracked" is going to give us pointers? LOL

imagirlgeek
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:24 AM
2 moms liked this

imamomzilla...it's actually a pretty good article!  It works for everyone...not just the left and not just the right.

My favorite part....excuse the salty language...

And here's the worst part:

I'm telling you from experience, watching political races this way is addictive as sh*t. You have thousands of years of violent tribal instincts pumping through your veins, itching for a fight. That makes you an easy tool for manipulation, and every good politician and pundit knows how to push those buttons to make people march neatly in formation.

Don't succumb. Or else you'll start supporting the most b*llsh*t legislation just because your guy is for it. Or you'll start knee-jerk rejecting anything the other "team" proposes. Not because it's bad for the country, but because you want to deny them a "win."

It's a poisonous way of thinking. It will lower your IQ, it will rot your ability to think critically about the subjects that really matter. It's bad for you, it's bad for democracy, it's bad for the world. You have to be better and smarter than the person they think you are. Or else we're all f*cked.

--------------------------------------------
You don't have to be judgmental and be like "Oh, he's using his freedom the wrong way!  I want him to use his freedom the way I use my freedom!"  You can't do that. You have to be tolerant.  People say "Oh no, you can't be tolerant. What if they do something you don't like?" Tolerance does not mean endorsement.  -- Ron Paul
imamomzilla
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Hmm...makes sense and has some valid points. Thanks!

I am soooooo glad the stories from The Onion haven't made their rounds again. That was frustrating!

Quoting imagirlgeek:

imamomzilla...it's actually a pretty good article!  It works for everyone...not just the left and not just the right.

I'm telling you from experience, watching political races this way is addictive as sh*t. You have thousands of years of violent tribal instincts pumping through your veins, itching for a fight. That makes you an easy tool for manipulation, and every good politician and pundit knows how to push those buttons to make people march neatly in formation.

Don't succumb. Or else you'll start supporting the most b*llsh*t legislation just because your guy is for it. Or you'll start knee-jerk rejecting anything the other "team" proposes. Not because it's bad for the country, but because you want to deny them a "win."

It's a poisonous way of thinking. It will lower your IQ, it will rot your ability to think critically about the subjects that really matter. It's bad for you, it's bad for democracy, it's bad for the world. You have to be better and smarter than the person they think you are. Or else we're all f*cked.

jadedcynic
by Nerdilicious on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Why not? Millions of people get their news from a channel named after a furry animal with a bushy tail.

Quoting imamomzilla:

imagirlgeek
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 11:33 AM

I'll tell ya...I clicked the link, totally ready to start rolling my eyes at the story, and then was like..."Hey!  This is pretty great!"  LOL!  I don't know cracked.com, but I might have to check out more of their articles and see if it's worth adding to my daily reading.

I'm with you on the Onion...ugh.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Hmm...makes sense and has some valid points. Thanks!

I am soooooo glad the stories from The Onion haven't made their rounds again. That was frustrating!

Quoting imagirlgeek:

--------------------------------------------
You don't have to be judgmental and be like "Oh, he's using his freedom the wrong way!  I want him to use his freedom the way I use my freedom!"  You can't do that. You have to be tolerant.  People say "Oh no, you can't be tolerant. What if they do something you don't like?" Tolerance does not mean endorsement.  -- Ron Paul
asfriend
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Which is the only real way to make sure that it is going to be accurate.

Quoting jadedcynic:

Why not? Millions of people get their news from a channel named after a furry animal with a bushy tail.

Quoting imamomzilla:

lga1965
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting jadedcynic:

Quoting imamomzilla:

asfriend
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Posts the person who doesn't know the difference between tax rates and tax revenues.

You can't make this stuff up.

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting jadedcynic:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 3:31 PM

"  Deadly blow to Democrat campaign as Ohio Lawmaker blasts Obama over gaffe ? "

Jambo4
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 5:20 PM

just post the whole dang article here... I hate giving sites more views for their tally sheet.

(and I'm lazy wink mini)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN