Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Test your memory: What have Republicans done for the US in the last 10-20 yrs?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:58 PM
  • 3 Replies

I have been reading two posts here and I have a feeling I am greatly outnumbered.  I consider myself an Independent voter.  I don't vote based on party lines  but on the nominees record and who I think will do the best job.  I don't vote for the other guy just because I go off on the notion of "Anyone is better than".  I voted for Bush for his 2nd presidency and then I voted for Obama because I didn't feel McCain had what it takes to make a change.  Really, party lines mean nothing to me.

But recently I am starting to think I may be more liberal than independent.  Mainly because as I read and research I find little traits admirable on the Republican side of the house.  All I can see is this.

War on women's reproductive rights:  Many states have worked towards this, trying to give fertilized eggs personhood rights, taking away a woman's right to choose in cases other than rape, incest or maternal death, and shutting down Planned Parenthood.  I understand that it is under some moral obligation that they do this but here is the catch, it is a MORAL obligation not a legal one.  Why is it that I am to be forced to follow their morals and beliefs when I don't agree with them?  Here is the beauty of being Pro-CHOICE:  If you don't agree with abortions then don't get one. 

War on WIC:  So after they allow all of these babies to be born the next thing they will want to do is ensure they don't get free gov. handouts.  Republicans on the House Appropriations Committee approved the appropriations bill which reduces WIC funding from $6.73 billion this year to $5.90 billion in 2012.

War on Equal rights:  This is mainly geared towards the LGBT community because being gay means that you shouldn't get the same rights as all of the straight people.  I don't understand what will happen if we allow them to marry so they have the same rights as my husband and I do.  Will that mean that our marriage is any less?  Will the world implode?  What will happen?  Once again, those damn little morals of the Repubicans keep trying to seep in and make everyone follow them regardless if we agree.  I thought this was home of the free, where everyone has the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.  Yet, our conservative polticians are ok with denying those rights from the ones they disagree with.

No more net neutrality:  House Republicans pushed for a resolution to eliminate ‘net neutrality’ rules recently adopted by the Federal Communications Commission (FCC).” Rep. Greg Walden (R-OR) introduced H. J. Res. 37 which would prohibit the FCC from regulating the Internet. Republicans claim net neutrality rules amount to a government takeover of the Internet; what they really amount to is protection against a corporate takeover of the Internet.

The list goes on and on but I won't bore you with the details.  So here is what I want to know.  What have the Republicans done for this country other than help to mound us in debt (thanks Reaganomics!) and slowly try to take away our rights and carry us back to the dark ages?

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes. Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes. Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain. ~Butthole Surfers

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
_Kissy_
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:02 PM
ran up the deficit
started wars
govern from the Bible while doing the exact opposite
alienated everyone buy Israel.
made America a laughing stock of the world
declared war on women, minorities and the poor

these are just a few things
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluespagan
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 1:20 PM

And...crickets.  Why am I not surprised?  I guess the thread on how Obama is trying to make the White House look like an Arabic retreat is SO much more important than looking that the historical relevance of the voting record and overall record of one of our countries leading political parties.

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:21 PM

This is some of the issues I have had with the GOP also. They say they want Government out of people lives but then they put in rules that supersede  what a woman's doctor feel is right for her. They would love nothing more to dismantel many of the rights women have.

Now many new laws are done by states but these issues do go beyond just the Federal Government. To me most politians just see parties they do not see the people that these laws effect, in every day life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)