Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok Be honest with me, is this mainly a Republican board?

Posted by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:17 PM
  • 43 Replies

I just have to know because if it is I am just going to leave the group.  I prefer not to argue against rhetoric, morals and anything that doesn't even closely resemble a hard fact. 

So far, that is all I have read and been met with here. 

So be honest with me, is this board made up of mostly conservative "thinkers" who are all about NObama and "Anyone but Obama for 2012"?

by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imamomzilla
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:20 PM
4 moms liked this

LOL. Quite the opposite...but if you must....

wave

rccmom
by Gold Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:25 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't know what to tell you. I am fairly new to the board, and when I first hit it, it seemed overwhelmingly Republican, but I think it is due more to a very vocal few. There actually is quite a variety here, you just have to read the threads, try commenting, and find out who is willing to have a decent conversation. I promise, there are those who will converse and exchange ideas, and then there are those who cannot get beyond rhetoric. I have found some interesting conversations and ideas here, so stick around for a bit and see what you find. It also seems to go in cycles, so maybe you have hit it during a bad cycle. 

shimamab
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:28 PM

I've seen quite a few people willing to have reasonable debates in the short time I've been here...but there are a few hardlines on each side that don't seem up for considering anything other than what they already believe. Stick around for a bit before you decide!

LIMom1105
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Quoting rccmom:

I don't know what to tell you. I am fairly new to the board, and when I first hit it, it seemed overwhelmingly Republican, but I think it is due more to a very vocal few. There actually is quite a variety here, you just have to read the threads, try commenting, and find out who is willing to have a decent conversation. I promise, there are those who will converse and exchange ideas, and then there are those who cannot get beyond rhetoric. I have found some interesting conversations and ideas here, so stick around for a bit and see what you find. It also seems to go in cycles, so maybe you have hit it during a bad cycle. 

Agreed. Initially I thought OMG, this is hard-core Republican, but I do think there are a few very vocal people with extreme views who post frequently who happen to be Republican.  There are some Republicans who have less extreme, or more well researched views who post too, but I don't see their posts as frequently.

I'd guess it's somewhere in the middle, but it's hard to say. If you don't like the board though, quit. Life is too short.

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:38 PM
1 mom liked this

We did a poll once. It is mostly Republicans. There are a few that can talk about the issues in a reasonable manner. Others just cannot and resort to name calling etc. Just ignore those. It's a good group for the most part. Everyone brings something different to the table.

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm Libertarian, as are a number of others.  So sometimes our posts seem very Republican and then for a couple weeks the issues shift to social policy and we argue mostly on the "Dems 'side'". 

Stick around.  There are many of us that like to have a good debate and can still shake hands at the end.

cbk_mom3
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:40 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting imamomzilla:

LOL. Quite the opposite...but if you must....

wave

im23vaughn
by Bronze Member on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:41 PM
2 moms liked this
It's mixed, it's just that since a Dem is POTUS the Reps feel they have to blast the board every day with 20 anti-Obama articles. Funny how they don't seem to post hardly any pro-GOP or pro-Romney articles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluespagan
by on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Well then I will stick around.  But I do want to note than an actual debate is usually based on arguable facts. I hate arguing pure opinion that is based on ones own beliefs and morals.  You can't debate it, it is a constant circle where no one wins.

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on Apr. 30, 2012 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

At least give it a chance.  Many debate and discuss really well, and like others have mentioned, some (both sides) will resort to name calling or personal insults.  You learn pretty quick who enjoys debating.  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)