Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Allen West Trashes Guests Of White House Correspondents Dinner After He Attends

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:32 AM
  • 24 Replies

Allen West White House Correspondents Dinner
Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) autographs a baseball for a fan kept away from the festivities during Saturday night's White House Correspondents Association dinner.

WASHINGTON -- Rep. Allen West (R-Fla.) lit into attendees of Saturday night's White House Correspondents Association dinner for "laughing and living it up" as some in the country are suffering. But not only did West attend the highbrow event, he also spent time signing autographs for people who weren't allowed into the festivities.

"On Saturday night I was honored to be invited to the White House Correspondents Association dinner. There was much glam, glamour, and humor flowing," West posted on his Facebook page on Monday morning.

But after he left, he said he began thinking about life outside the party.

"While the President laughs and dines, our Constitutional Republic is eroding and my countrymen are suffering," West wrote. "In this election year, it is sad to think that some of those who were sitting in that ballroom Saturday night laughing and living it up, are helping to perpetuate the manipulation and deception of our country."

The Huffington Post spotted West walking solo amid Saturday night's festivities. At one point, as guests were being ushered out of pre-dinner parties and into the dinner hall, West was standing off to the side signing a baseball and other items for people who were roped off from party events.

A West spokeswoman did not immediately return a request for comment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/30/allen-west-white-house-correspondents-dinner_n_1465017.html

by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
_Kissy_
by on May. 1, 2012 at 8:33 AM

What the Hell was he doing there. Oh, signing autographs, not sure why anyone would want it. He attended, but ridicules others for attending, typical GOP BS. Don't nobody want your ass for VP..go back under the rock in which you came.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:35 AM
3 moms liked this

"While the President laughs and dines, our Constitutional Republic is eroding and my countrymen are suffering," West wrote. "In this election year, it is sad to think that some of those who were sitting in that ballroom Saturday night laughing and living it up, are helping to perpetuate the manipulation and deception of our country."

I particularly agree with this statement.  And while I understand big parties are a part of life for all politicians, I do wish more would stop and reflect on what life is like outside that bubble.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

It does state that he was honored to be a part of the glitz and glam but after he started to reflect on life outside the party.  And instead of being swept up in the celebrity craze, he was on the sidelines with the regular people.  Too bad more politicians don't take that same thing in account.  Putting all the people of America first, not just the other politicians and celebrities. 

Quoting _Kissy_:

What the Hell was he doing there. Oh, signing autographs, not sure why anyone would want it. He attended, but ridicules others for attending, typical GOP BS. Don't nobody want your ass for VP..go back under the rock in which you came.

shimamab
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:02 AM
2 moms liked this
Yes, AFTER he attended he reflected on it. Convenient. As if it was a sudden invite that he didn't have time to consider. Whatevs, dude. Don't you have a list of suspected Communists to put together??
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
denise3680
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:10 AM
2 moms liked this

He is such a joke it is not even humorous any more.  After the fact,huh?  He probably got all salty after they cracked on his ass:)

denise3680
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:15 AM

Quoting 4kidz916:

I particularly agree with this statement.  And while I understand big parties are a part of life for all politicians, I do wish more would stop and reflect on what life is like outside that bubble.

Why should we not have white house dinners?  It did not stop any other war time President, why should it stop now?  Should everyone, including all other not in the bubble Americans stop having parties, get together, stop having or taking vacations because of what is going on?  This makes no sense, so what if they have a dinner?

4kidz916
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:19 AM

I didn't say they shouldn't have parties, as a matter of fact, it says while I understand that big parties are a part of life for politicians, I wish more of them would try to realize what life outside that glam life is like.  Why not put as much emphasis on the little people and what life if like for the millions of struggling Americans?

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting 4kidz916:

Why should we not have white house dinners?  It did not stop any other war time President, why should it stop now?  Should everyone, including all other not in the bubble Americans stop having parties, get together, stop having or taking vacations because of what is going on?  This makes no sense, so what if they have a dinner?

Conservative61
by New Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember the Kardashians and a bunch of other celeb-trash attending previous Correspondents Dinners. Why are taxpayers paying for uber-rich Hollywood types to party? President, press, maybe a couple of roast-type commedians, cool. Huge, lavish, very expensive party for 1% of the 1% at my expense, NOT cool.

denise3680
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Quoting 4kidz916:

I didn't say they shouldn't have parties, as a matter of fact, it says while I understand that big parties are a part of life for politicians, I wish more of them would try to realize what life outside that glam life is like.  Why not put as much emphasis on the little people and what life if like for the millions of struggling Americans?

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting 4kidz916:

but how is that fair to say, how  is having a party not knowing what it is like for others outside of Washington?  or hollywood, or anywhere for that matter?  This is one night, not to have to worry about all the realities in the world.  I find West comment hypocritical and staged, it was done after the fact and in such a manner where it leaves one to ask, why? and why then not before or refuse to go, because of all the little people? 

shimamab
by on May. 1, 2012 at 9:35 AM
2 moms liked this
The White House Correspondents Assoc pays for the dinner with ticket sales and the guest list is comprised of the news media outlets choices. Obama doesn't invite celebs and taxpayers don't pay for it.

Quoting Conservative61:

Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't remember the Kardashians and a bunch of other celeb-trash attending previous Correspondents Dinners. Why are taxpayers paying for uber-rich Hollywood types to party? President, press, maybe a couple of roast-type commedians, cool. Huge, lavish, very expensive party for 1% of the 1% at my expense, NOT cool.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN