Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT: Happy Beltane from your resident heathen

Posted by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:01 PM
  • 10 Replies

Beltane is also known as Walburge, Bealtaine, Bhealtainn and May Day. It is usually celebrated on May eve or the 1st of May. Beltane means "Bel’s fire." Beal, the Gaelic word for "shining one" or "brilliant," gives Beltane the meaning of "brilliant fire."

On the eve of Beltane all fires were extinguished and relit with embers from the Beltane fire. The Celts built two fires created from the nine sacred woods (Rowan, Apple, Dogwood, Poplar, Juniper, Cedar, Pine, Holly and Oak). The herds were ritually driven between them to purify and protect them. The fires celebrated the return of life and fruitfulness to the earth and would protect, heal and purify anything or one that passed by or jumped over.

Beltane is the Sacred Marriage and union of the God and Goddess. Beltane is also celebration of fertility, fruitfulness and the coming of summer. It is a time when the light half of the year is waxing and everything is growing and coming into full greenery and bloom. It is the last of the spring fertility festivals, and is a time when all prepare for the warm months ahead. Beltane celebrates the height of Spring and the flowering of life. The Goddess manifests as the May Queen and Flora. The God emerges as the May King and Jack in the Green. The danced Maypole represents Their unity, with the pole itself being the God and the ribbons that encompass it, the Goddess. Colors are the Rainbow spectrum. Beltane is a festival of flowers, fertility, sensuality, and delight.

Blessed Be!

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes. Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes. Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain. ~Butthole Surfers

by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rccmom
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 3:07 PM
Thanks for the interesting read! Happy Beltane to you. Some areas of the country celebrate May Day by leaving anonymous gifts like flowers at their neighbors' doors. I would think this has its origin in a Beltane celebration.
bluespagan
by on May. 1, 2012 at 3:13 PM
Many of the thing done on May Day are very Pagan in origin as is almost all of the holiday traditions. Just thought I would take the time to do a bit of educating :)
rccmom
by Gold Member on May. 1, 2012 at 3:20 PM

Quoting bluespagan:

Many of the thing done on May Day are very Pagan in origin as is almost all of the holiday traditions. Just thought I would take the time to do a bit of educating :)

It is funny because many Christian holidays have Pagan traditions. Just look at Easter with bunnies, eggs, and it being based on the phase of the moon.

UpSheRises
by Silver Member on May. 1, 2012 at 3:31 PM

It's called May Day, damn it...speak American!

bluespagan
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:51 AM

Actually the original "May Day" was called Beltane. 

Quoting UpSheRises:

littleacorn
by on May. 2, 2012 at 5:53 AM
Belated blessed Beltane to you as well :-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Silver Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:07 AM

I was just being silly. Thanks for the information, it's interesting.

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting UpSheRises:

bluespagan
by on May. 2, 2012 at 9:09 AM

Do you know how many times I have heard people say something similar to that though?  Too often and sarcasm is hard to read online lol.

Quoting UpSheRises:

I was just being silly. Thanks for the information, it's interesting.

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting UpSheRises:

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Happy belated Beltane to you.  :-)

matreshka
by Gold Member on May. 2, 2012 at 10:29 AM

Happy Beltaine to you as well :)  The weather has definitely taken a trun toward drenching rain which is very much needed and spring like here.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)