Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Poll Finds President Obama Is World's Most Respected Leader

Posted by   + Show Post

Which Leaders Rock Our World? Drumroll, Please ...

Apr 23, 2010 – 5:55 PM
Text Size
(April 23) -- President Barack Obama is still the world's most respected leader, according to a new six-country poll.

Released today by France 24 and Radio France Internationale, the Harris Interactive Poll asked 6,135 adults between the ages of 16 and 64 who live in the United States, Britain, France, Italy, Germany or Spain to name their favorite world leaders.

Seventy-seven percent of those surveyed chose Obama, which is one percentage point higher than when Harris Interactive asked the same question in November.
Obama and Dalai Lama
Getty Images
President Obama and the Dalai Lama rank at the top of a new poll measuring the world's most popular leaders.

Close on his heels is the Dalai Lama, Tibet's spiritual leader, who was mentioned by 75 percent of those polled. U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton came in third at 62 percent, and German Chancellor Angela Merkel was mentioned by 54 percent of respondents, good enough for fourth place. 

Taken between March 31 and April 12, the poll found that Pope Benedict XVI still ranked as the seventh most popular leader, despite the ongoing revelations about sexual abuse in the Catholic Church. 

On the flip side of the coin, Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, Libya's Moammar Gadhafi and Chinese President Hu Jintao earned a collective thumbs-down as the world's least popular leaders.
"You are aware that the frontal lobe of the cerebral cortex allows people the ability to store and recall past events as they occurred, right?"
by on May. 2, 2012 at 3:10 PM
Replies (41-50):
jlo1313
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe after the election in November he can go off and ruin run another country.

Quoting butlerro1013:

I have several friends who are not American.  Their impression of Obama may surprise some of you, they quite like him and think he's *gasp* reasonable.

asfriend
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:08 AM
2 moms liked this

We are ruining plenty right now, including ours.

Presbo is thought to be reasonable in a lot of countries, most of those are currently falling under control of the Muslim Brotherhood, which might not be best.

Quoting jlo1313:

Maybe after the election in November he can go off and ruin run another country.

Quoting butlerro1013:

I have several friends who are not American.  Their impression of Obama may surprise some of you, they quite like him and think he's *gasp* reasonable.

flika
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Quoting Sisteract:

Im sorry, what do you mean? I dont understand. Im not sure what do you mean about S. America ..
MizSandy
by Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:14 PM

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_mmBw3uzPnJI/S_5Hh7yhwoI/AAAAAAABSh8/kp9juAdRoT4/s1600/Haters_Gonna_Hate_16.jpg#if you can't win with facts, play the race card
Quoting erika9009:

sidesplittinglaughter

I'm speechless.  I guess this shows you can get polls to say anything you want if you ask the right people and phrase the questions right.

I think I could be the nations best mom if I paid a poll company and had them ask questions in ways that made me look like a perfect mom.

matreshka
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

This is great, and it proves just because the GOP can be loud and spew vitrolic propaganda against the president, people still see that he is doing an alright job.

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on May. 3, 2012 at 7:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I disagree.  I believe it speaks well of Americans, because we are the ones who actually live under Obama's presidential leadership and have to experience things that people outside of the U.S. don't.  They don't know the "true" Obama like Americans do.

Quoting lga1965:

I have been online friends with women from England and Canada on an AOL message board and they all were very unhappy with Bush---and Cheney and the war mongering. When Obama was elected they were  happy. They still like him.I think people in other countries respect him more than a certain group of  people here in America. That is depressing to me.It doesn't speak well for many Americans.

Quoting nanaofsix531:

I have been in a ladies yahoo group since the late 80's.The ladies in the group are from all over the world.Canada,Australia,United Kingdom,New Zealand and they hated Bush.They called him the war monster with no conscience.They all get their news fron the BBC so they got the straight news not the made up news we get here in the states.They were all excited for the US when President Obama was elected.Most of them watch every speech he gives and never miss a chance to see him on TV.

Quoting _Kissy_:

hes not a warmonger with a chip on his shoulder who tries to knock the arrogance america has grown accustomed to..

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on May. 3, 2012 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Are you really saying that if we aren't pro Obama, but are pro America, that we are not respecting him and our country?  That is very un-American and immature to accuse Americans of this.  Were you pro Bush, Reagan, Clinton, Carter, Nixon, Bush Sr.?  Would you be pro Romney if he is elected?  That's why we have elections - to vote for presidents - everyone has different views and opinions towards Presidents and just because some may not agree with a certain president, does NOT mean they are disrespecting him or our country. 

Quoting lga1965:

uhh, no. We are all pro President of The United States and pro America. The president is our leader. He is our representative and he is a respected leader,according to this study,poll, and according to many others. If you laugh at this, you are not respecting the leader of our country and disrespecting our country. You sound un-American. It is really quite immature to laugh at this .....really.

Quoting Abaco:

Quoting lga1965:

So, your whole family is anti-American? No.....yours ?I am proud that our President is respected and admired by other people in other countries. I feel quite happy abut this and I trust the opinions of people in Europe, for example. Living in Germany for a total of 7 years , being an Air Force family ,and traveling in many countries, getting to know people in Germany through the German-American wives club associated with our base has introduced me to the concept that there are wonderful people all over the world and I was lucky to learn that fact. We are fortunate people in America. They know that.

Quoting Abaco:

Exactly......! I about fell off the chair after reading : )  the kids and dh are still laughing !

Quoting erika9009:

sidesplittinglaughter

I'm speechless.  I guess this shows you can get polls to say anything you want if you ask the right people and phrase the questions right.

I think I could be the nations best mom if I paid a poll company and had them ask questions in ways that made me look like a perfect mom.

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on May. 3, 2012 at 7:30 PM

I 2nd that!

Quoting Friday:

Meh. I'm not a fan of polls.

I don't hold much respect for Obama, too much BS.

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on May. 3, 2012 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this

You said it!!  :)

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Then again most popular is NOT what we need. We NEED an Effective leader

Abaco
by on May. 3, 2012 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

Amen !  Well said !

Quoting jcribb16:

Are you really saying that if we aren't pro Obama, but are pro America, that we are not respecting him and our country?  That is very un-American and immature to accuse Americans of this.  Were you pro Bush, Reagan, Clinton, Carter, Nixon, Bush Sr.?  Would you be pro Romney if he is elected?  That's why we have elections - to vote for presidents - everyone has different views and opinions towards Presidents and just because some may not agree with a certain president, does NOT mean they are disrespecting him or our country. 

Quoting lga1965:

uhh, no. We are all pro President of The United States and pro America. The president is our leader. He is our representative and he is a respected leader,according to this study,poll, and according to many others. If you laugh at this, you are not respecting the leader of our country and disrespecting our country. You sound un-American. It is really quite immature to laugh at this .....really.

Quoting Abaco:

Quoting lga1965:

So, your whole family is anti-American? No.....yours ?I am proud that our President is respected and admired by other people in other countries. I feel quite happy abut this and I trust the opinions of people in Europe, for example. Living in Germany for a total of 7 years , being an Air Force family ,and traveling in many countries, getting to know people in Germany through the German-American wives club associated with our base has introduced me to the concept that there are wonderful people all over the world and I was lucky to learn that fact. We are fortunate people in America. They know that.

Quoting Abaco:

Exactly......! I about fell off the chair after reading : )  the kids and dh are still laughing !

Quoting erika9009:

sidesplittinglaughter

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN