Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Right-Wing Refuses To Believe Cleveland Bombers Are NOT Part Of Occupy Movement

Posted by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM
  • 22 Replies

Right-Wing Refuses To Believe Cleveland Bombers Are NOT Part Of Occupy Movement

(From MSNBC) “Douglas L. Wright, 26, Brandon L. Baxter, 20, and Anthony Hayne, 35, were arrested by members of the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force on April 30 on charges of conspiracy and attempted use of explosive materials to damage physical property affecting interstate commerce. Also arrested were Connor C. Stevens, 20, and Joshua S. Stafford, 23. Charges are pending against them.

“‘The five were “controlled by an undercover FBI employee,’ and agents had them under extensive surveillance for a long period of time. The explosives they allegedly purchased were inoperable.

“‘There was never any danger,’ one federal official said.”

(From Fox) “It is unknown if the bridge incident was connected to Occupy Wall Street’s plans for nationwide protests Tuesday.”

If perhaps, like myself, you are afflicted by the unfortunate addiction to the daily regressive rantings of the Newsbusters.org writing staff, you would I am sure have cringed in gross disbelief in staff writer Matthew Sheffield’s ridiculous and baseless assertion that yesterday’s bridge-bombing plot was actually connected to the Occupy Wall Street protests occurring in unison across the country and, more specifically, Cleveland.

Like many of his right-wing brethren, Sheffield leaps willfully in a thinly-veiled attempt to not only suggest that the five suspects taken into custody by the FBI were perhaps connected to the OWS movement, but are, undeniably, active leaders of the grassroots and widely non-violent protest.

Within the very first line of his post, he sets the stage:

“The leaders of the plot to bomb an Ohio highway bridge are members of the ‘Occupy’ movement,” he writes, “ but you won’t find that information in much of the mainstream media coverage of the story.”

Appalled by the “mainstream” media’s reluctance to cover a story that has no merit, Sheffield laments the would-be bombers’ connections to OWS yet offers absolutely no proof whatsoever to his condemnation, save for a brief link-out to a Breitbart.com story of the same nature and – as typical of most things pushed by the Breitbart moniker – a distinct slant on reality.

But even that withstanding, the Breitbart piece alone portrays the band of anarchists’ sheer displeasure with the Occupy Movement’s lack of violence and ultimate separation; where author Dan Riehl quotes an unnamed source in which the members ridiculed Occupy for not being on par with their violent, anarchistic world views.

As such, the rag-tag bunch of misfits decided to lash out on their own and – due to their own stupidity – were flagged by authorities months ago.

So why does Sheffield not focus on this? Oh, that’s right – it would not fit well within the narrative of his knee-jerk post.

Instead of examining the chronology of an event – or in this case, non-event – Sheffield instead purposefully attempts to attach blame to a peaceful, citizen-led, nation-wide movement for the actions of a small group of anarchy-obsessed “separatists” who had long-since denounced Occupy’s apparently all-too-humble cause.

by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
itsmesteph11
by Silver Member on May. 3, 2012 at 9:44 AM
2 moms liked this

So I'm on the right and they somehow know that I refuse to believe these nuts were not part of OWS?  The left wing media obviously doesn't know what they are talking about.  Personally the thought never entered my mind because I DON"T CARE! I'm sure the majority of the right feel the same way.

Since I have read about it and you put it out here I will repy to what I do think.  OWS is not one organized group. Just as The Tea Party isn't one group. OWS is a bunch of crazy thumb suckers who hate government and big business for the most part. The people who had valid complaints have all been drowned out byt these nuts.  Fact is, they chose to go out on the day OWS touted to be a day they would "disrupt" the world.   They may not be part of this main OWS group but they are part of the problem and they have similar beliefs.  The media has nothng better to do?

imamomzilla
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:49 AM
2 moms liked this

We all know the media doesn't do it's job. Look no further than the White House for proof.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on May. 3, 2012 at 9:55 AM

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/01/cleveland-bomb-plot-suspe_n_1468415.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HP%2FPolitics+(Politics+on+The+Huffington+Post)

According to the criminal complaint, Wright told the confidential source that they would need protective gear -- such as helmets and body armor -- for what they allegedly had in store for Chicago during the summit. Wright allegedly told the source that the Chicago summit would be "crazier" than their Cleveland bomb plot, according to NBC.

The two had bought inert improvised explosive devices and smoke grenades and planned to head to Chicago after they left Cleveland in a "pile of rubble and ashes," CBS Chicago reports. Wright allegedly predicted that a "s--t load" of people would be heading to Chicago to demonstrate against the summit.

As Chicago prepares to host President Obama and other world leaders at the NATO summit, to be held May 20-21 largely at the McCormick Place convention center, federal law enforcement agents are expected to arrive this week downtown to secure federal buildings as part of the so-called "Operation Red Zone." Adbusters, a magazine instrumental to the early days of the Occupy movement, last Friday renewed their call for protesters to "swarm" the Chicago summit as part of the "May 2012 insurrection."

This has nothing to do with right or left. Your post is from MSNBC and it couldn't get any more liberal but here is another liberal showing why people are thinking it maybe OWS connection

imamomzilla
by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:59 AM

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:15 AM

But even that withstanding, the Breitbart piece alone portrays the band of anarchists’ sheer displeasure with the Occupy Movement’s lack of violence and ultimate separation; where author Dan Riehl quotes an unnamed source in which the members ridiculed Occupy for not being on par with their violent, anarchistic world views.

**They left OWS because they didn't like that they weren't willing to be VIOLENT

Quoting imamomzilla:

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:21 AM

Maybe people who have not had active anarchist in their areas like Seatle and even Eugene Oregon cannot tell the difference. But anyone who has seen the wantant distruction and violence that the anarchist create can tell you they are miles apart from the people of the occupy movement.

I beleive that many on the right believe there is not difference but there is. Not all obviously. It is true that the anarchist tried to move in with the occupyer but that does not mean they part of the movement. 

Depending on wherey ou live set the tone for what these protest where about with an underlying theme that Coporate greed needs to get out of our government. But across America each OWS movement seem to take on it's own mantra and I felt this was a fault in it. If they would of gotten behind that one centeral theme across America it would of been better off.  Big difference bettween beating drums (OWS), and burning Car (anarchist). They do not have the same beliefs

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on May. 3, 2012 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

OWS has been nothing but distrutive and abusive

imamomzilla
by on May. 3, 2012 at 10:38 AM

SAK, do you really think it was a coincidence they planned it for May 1st?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

**They left OWS because they didn't like that they weren't willing to be VIOLENT

Quoting imamomzilla:

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I have no clue, are you psychic?

Even Breitbarts idiots say they LEFT the OWS because they wouldn't participate in VIOLENT ACTS

by the way, "May Day" had not any violence from OWS, but there WAS violence from the POLICE and there is a Federal judge threatening the OK police for the VIOLENCE towards the OWS protestors....do YOu care about that?

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting imamomzilla:

imamomzilla
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:07 AM

WHAT? Get your head out of the sand...

(dailykos)

Tue May 01, 2012 at 10:39 PM PDT

Occupy May Day: Seattle Violence Videos

There have been reports of broken windows and other vandalism in three cities. Portland, Seattle, and San Francisco. Here are some video scenes from Seattle, I will be finding more video in the days ahead.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I have no clue, are you psychic?

Even Breitbarts idiots say they LEFT the OWS because they wouldn't participate in VIOLENT ACTS

by the way, "May Day" had not any violence from OWS, but there WAS violence from the POLICE and there is a Federal judge threatening the OK police for the VIOLENCE towards the OWS protestors....do YOu care about that?

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN