Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Right-Wing Refuses To Believe Cleveland Bombers Are NOT Part Of Occupy Movement

Posted by   + Show Post

Right-Wing Refuses To Believe Cleveland Bombers Are NOT Part Of Occupy Movement

(From MSNBC) “Douglas L. Wright, 26, Brandon L. Baxter, 20, and Anthony Hayne, 35, were arrested by members of the FBI’s Joint Terrorism Task Force on April 30 on charges of conspiracy and attempted use of explosive materials to damage physical property affecting interstate commerce. Also arrested were Connor C. Stevens, 20, and Joshua S. Stafford, 23. Charges are pending against them.

“‘The five were “controlled by an undercover FBI employee,’ and agents had them under extensive surveillance for a long period of time. The explosives they allegedly purchased were inoperable.

“‘There was never any danger,’ one federal official said.”

(From Fox) “It is unknown if the bridge incident was connected to Occupy Wall Street’s plans for nationwide protests Tuesday.”

If perhaps, like myself, you are afflicted by the unfortunate addiction to the daily regressive rantings of the Newsbusters.org writing staff, you would I am sure have cringed in gross disbelief in staff writer Matthew Sheffield’s ridiculous and baseless assertion that yesterday’s bridge-bombing plot was actually connected to the Occupy Wall Street protests occurring in unison across the country and, more specifically, Cleveland.

Like many of his right-wing brethren, Sheffield leaps willfully in a thinly-veiled attempt to not only suggest that the five suspects taken into custody by the FBI were perhaps connected to the OWS movement, but are, undeniably, active leaders of the grassroots and widely non-violent protest.

Within the very first line of his post, he sets the stage:

“The leaders of the plot to bomb an Ohio highway bridge are members of the ‘Occupy’ movement,” he writes, “ but you won’t find that information in much of the mainstream media coverage of the story.”

Appalled by the “mainstream” media’s reluctance to cover a story that has no merit, Sheffield laments the would-be bombers’ connections to OWS yet offers absolutely no proof whatsoever to his condemnation, save for a brief link-out to a Breitbart.com story of the same nature and – as typical of most things pushed by the Breitbart moniker – a distinct slant on reality.

But even that withstanding, the Breitbart piece alone portrays the band of anarchists’ sheer displeasure with the Occupy Movement’s lack of violence and ultimate separation; where author Dan Riehl quotes an unnamed source in which the members ridiculed Occupy for not being on par with their violent, anarchistic world views.

As such, the rag-tag bunch of misfits decided to lash out on their own and – due to their own stupidity – were flagged by authorities months ago.

So why does Sheffield not focus on this? Oh, that’s right – it would not fit well within the narrative of his knee-jerk post.

Instead of examining the chronology of an event – or in this case, non-event – Sheffield instead purposefully attempts to attach blame to a peaceful, citizen-led, nation-wide movement for the actions of a small group of anarchy-obsessed “separatists” who had long-since denounced Occupy’s apparently all-too-humble cause.

by on May. 3, 2012 at 9:27 AM
Replies (11-20):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:15 AM

I don't know about other cities, but here in Portland the Occupiers hand over to the police anyone that they discover has done anything violent or criminal.  They do not want violence detracting from their message.

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Every Occupy group constantly reminds everyone to immediately alert police and each other if they think someone's about to break the law, and they try to point out known anarchists.

Apparently it's a real problem for some of the groups.

imamomzilla
by on May. 3, 2012 at 11:33 AM

No comment?

Quoting imamomzilla:

WHAT? Get your head out of the sand...

(dailykos)

Tue May 01, 2012 at 10:39 PM PDT

Occupy May Day: Seattle Violence Videos

There have been reports of broken windows and other vandalism in three cities. Portland, Seattle, and San Francisco. Here are some video scenes from Seattle, I will be finding more video in the days ahead.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I have no clue, are you psychic?

Even Breitbarts idiots say they LEFT the OWS because they wouldn't participate in VIOLENT ACTS

by the way, "May Day" had not any violence from OWS, but there WAS violence from the POLICE and there is a Federal judge threatening the OK police for the VIOLENCE towards the OWS protestors....do YOu care about that?

Quoting imamomzilla:

SAK, do you really think it was a coincidence they planned it for May 1st?

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

But even that withstanding, the Breitbart piece alone portrays the band of anarchists’ sheer displeasure with the Occupy Movement’s lack of violence and ultimate separation; where author Dan Riehl quotes an unnamed source in which the members ridiculed Occupy for not being on par with their violent, anarchistic world views.

**They left OWS because they didn't like that they weren't willing to be VIOLENT

Quoting imamomzilla:

Fields456
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:37 AM
All I know is those guys. Look like bums and lunitics. Whether they are a part of OWS or not I'm just glad they were caught before anyone was hurt or killed
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on May. 3, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Agreed and agreed

Quoting Fields456:

All I know is those guys. Look like bums and lunitics. Whether they are a part of OWS or not I'm just glad they were caught before anyone was hurt or killed

Mamawto4
by Bronze Member on May. 3, 2012 at 12:00 PM
2 moms liked this

Does it really matter if they were or weren't officially affiliated with OWS?  It's more than obvious that they were coordinating their moves with that of the OWS movement, but that doesn't mean that everyone associated with OWS advocates violence.

All large groups will attract some fanatics.  We may not agree with parts of or even their entire message, but we need to show support for them to gather anyway.  My fear is that if enough people become discouraged with groups such as this, because of fanatical incidences, that the gov't will see an opening of support to write legislation banning or limiting such groups.  That would be another first amendment violation of our freedom of assembly.

matreshka
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Sometimes, no matter how much you hammer the facts home, people do not want to listen.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

**They left OWS because they didn't like that they weren't willing to be VIOLENT

Quoting imamomzilla:

matreshka
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Yes.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Agreed and agreed

Quoting Fields456:

matreshka
by Gold Member on May. 3, 2012 at 1:18 PM

I used to be very active in the protest movement in the late '90's early '00's.  We stayed away from the black bloc, a group of chaotic violent anarchists.  Many people who are active in protest movements feel the same way and try to avoid the violence and strive for more peaceful means of protest, such as civil disobedience, teach-ins, and even puppet shows.

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Every Occupy group constantly reminds everyone to immediately alert police and each other if they think someone's about to break the law, and they try to point out known anarchists.

Apparently it's a real problem for some of the groups.

Momniscient
by on May. 3, 2012 at 1:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I see the hypocrisy continues.

So now do I get to claim that Ready represents everyone who supports the right wing obsession with Arizona's laws?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)