Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Johnson wins Libertarian nomination update 5/5

Posted by   + Show Post

Former Gov. Gary Johnson is on the verge of winning the Libertarian Party's nomination for president, but he's reluctant to claim victory yet.

"I wouldn't take anything for granted yet," he said of the Libertarian nominating process, which takes place Saturday at the party's national convention in Las Vegas, Nev. But a moment later, he added, "It does look good."

Johnson has even chosen his preferred running mate -- Jim Gray, a retired California superior court judge, who, like Johnson, is a longtime opponent of marijuana laws. Gray is the only announced Libertarian candidate for vice president.

But even if Johnson wins the Libertarian nod this weekend, he acknowledged his path won't be easy. In an interview Wednesday, Johnson said any hope of being competitive with Democratic President Barack Obama and likely Republican nominee Mitt Romney in November depends on him being included in the presidential debates in October.

But because of the steep standards set by the organization that organizes the debates, that's not easy for any third-party candidate. The last to be included in the debates was Ross Perot in 1992.

Johnson said if he can get on the stage with Obama and Romney, he would have a shot at winning. But as Johnson himself said, "That's a big 'if.' "

The two-term governor, who had been a lifelong Republican, left the GOP early this year after months of being ignored and excluded during his frustrating campaign to win the Republican nomination.

He'd assumed that his reputation as a tight-fisted, small-government, small-taxes advocate who was not afraid to veto hundreds of bills would appeal to GOP primary voters.

However, his libertarian positions on gay marriage, abortion and drug-law reform didn't catch on with socially conservative Republicans. Plus, Ron Paul, himself a former Libertarian Party presidential nominee, announced his candidacy shortly after Johnson entered the Republican race. The better-known Paul was invited to all the GOP debates, while Johnson was only allowed to participate in two.

But -- assuming he's the Libertarian nominee -- being excluded from debates could become Johnson's biggest problem again.

According to the website of the Commission on Presidential Debates, candidates included "must appear on a sufficient number of state ballots to have a mathematical chance of winning a majority vote in the Electoral College, and have a level of support of at least 15 percent of the national electorate as determined by five selected national public opinion polling organizations, using the average of those organizations' most recent publicly reported results at the time of the determination."

Getting on state ballots shouldn't be a problem for Libertarians. Several times in the past they've been on the ballot in all 50 states. "West Virginia has the most impediments," Johnson said.

But the polling requirement is another story.

So far, the only national polling organization that has included Johnson as a third choice is Public Policy Polling, a North Carolina-based company affiliated with the Democratic Party. In late March, a nationwide Public Policy Polling survey found Johnson taking 7 percent of the vote, (with Obama at 46 percent and Romney at 39 percent).

Johnson said he believes that if he continues polling at least 6 percent or 7 percent in the Public Policy Polling surveys, other national polling organizations will begin including him. "If you're a reputable pollster, you couldn't ignore that," he said.

The former governor also said he could get a boost from those who supported Paul in the primaries when the Texas congressman ends his campaign. While Johnson said he does not expect to be endorsed by Paul himself, he said, "What happens to Ron Paul supporters? I believe they'll find me to be a very credible alternative."

But will Johnson be able to raise his poll numbers up to 15 percent? Public Policy Polling is doubtful. "I doubt Johnson will really get anywhere close to 7 percent in the general [election]," said the company's blog in March after publishing the poll showing Johnson at that level.

In its 40-year history, the Libertarian Party only once received more than 1 percent of the national popular vote. The party has never carried a state. The sole electoral vote it ever received was in 1972, when a dissident Richard Nixon elector from Virginia cast his ballot for Libertarian candidate John Hospers. (That elector, Roger McBride, was the Libertarian presidential candidate four years later.)

Lonna Atkeson, a political science professor at The University of New Mexico, said support for third parties typically dwindles the closer you get to Election Day. She expects the same thing to happen with Johnson. "I bet he doesn't get more than 5 percent of the vote [in New Mexico]," she said.

A late April Public Policy Polling survey of New Mexico voters found Johnson getting 15 percent of the vote in a three-way race. (Obama was supported by 48 percent of those polled, while Romney had 35 percent.) But Johnson's numbers have declined here in more recent polls. In December, 23 percent of New Mexico voters said they'd vote for Johnson for president.

Atkeson said third parties losing steam is mainly due to "institutional design," or the fact that in most states, including New Mexico, the Electoral College vote is winner-take-all. Many voters, therefore, are afraid that if they vote for a third-party candidate who is closest to them in ideology, it could damage the major-party candidate who's ideology is not quite as close to their own and help elect the candidate furthest away from their political leanings.

Also, people predominantly vote for a particular party, Atkeson said. Throughout the campaign, Democrats and Republicans constantly remind people why they are members of their party. "There's a lot of emphasis on partisanship," she said. "Campaigns remind people where their self-interest is."

Johnson said Wednesday he's not concerned about the fact his New Mexico number shrank in Public Policy Polling's latest poll. "Is that last poll correct? Or is a correction of the previous poll? I wouldn't lose any sleep over it at this point, just like I wouldn't party all night long if the number was bigger now."

Historically, third parties haven't played much of a role in New Mexico presidential politics. The best showing of a third-party candidate was in 1912 -- the first year New Mexico became a state. That year, Theodore Roosevelt, running on the Progressive or "Bull Moose" ticket, won 16.9 percent of the vote. That was well behind Roosevelt's national showing of 27 percent.

The Bull Moose vote in the state nearly was matched 80 years later when Reform Party candidate Perot won 16.1 percent of New Mexico's popular vote in 1992.

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/Local%20News/Johnson-likely-to-get-Libertarian-ticket

Gary Johnson Wins 2012 Libertarian Nomination

Source: huffingtonpost

LAS VEGAS -- Former New Mexico Gov. Gary Johnson is campaigning to win the White House as a Libertarian after receiving scant attention in the Republican presidential race.

Johnson easily became the party's presidential nominee at the Libertarian national convention in Las Vegas on Saturday. He hopes to appeal to voters fed up with the traditional two-party system this November.

Johnson was a longshot candidate for the Republican presidential nomination when he announced in December that he would instead pursue the Libertarian ticket.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/05/gary-johnson-2012-libertarian-nomination_n_1485044.html

H.R.H. Friday of MaryJane

by on May. 3, 2012 at 2:51 PM
Replies (51-60):
Friday
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Quoting imamomzilla:

But not frustrated enough to vote against Obama? Interesting.

Please show me the parallels between the two. Thanks in advance.

Voting for Johnson certainly isn't FOR Obama.

Off the top of my head...corporate pandering and influence. Lots of WS & corp money in both campaigns. The PA and most things related to the war on terror or whatever it's called this week. The drug war, Obama talks better on it but his actions speak loudly.

I have to pick up dd and run some errands but I'll try to post more later.

asfriend
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:47 PM

I dunno Miss Friday, so inconsistent. You don't like Conservative Republican's, you voted for Arnold, but don't like him. Arnold is a very liberal Republican, in any state but California or NY he would be a liberal Democrat, like his in-laws.

You stated earlier that your vote doesn't matter, and that is true, California will vote Democratic no matter the consequences.

Friday
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Quoting asfriend:

I dunno Miss Friday, so inconsistent. You don't like Conservative Republican's, you voted for Arnold, but don't like him. Arnold is a very liberal Republican, in any state but California or NY he would be a liberal Democrat, like his in-laws.

You stated earlier that your vote doesn't matter, and that is true, California will vote Democratic no matter the consequences.

I don't make sense to many people, I've learned to accept it. I am what I yam. I was very lucky to find a husband who is a square peg as well so we made our own 'holes' where we fit it.

Conservative Republicans? Depends on how you define Conservative. I'm socially extremely Liberal, as in let consenting adults do as they wish as long as it's doesn't infringe on the rights of those who don't consent. That often puts me at odds with Dems as some like the nanny state protecting us from ourselves with drug, helmet, seat belt, etc laws. I don't agree with San Frans Happy Meal laws or circumcision laws. Allow the free flow of information and let adults & parents make their own choices. I've met many old school Conservatives who agree with me on this, smaller govt and all that.

I'm fiscally moderate, been bitching about spending since Dubya and feel we need a serious review and overhaul of our Fed budget. There's a lot of waste and redundancy, both sides are bad about that.

I'm good with welfare reform and weeding out the cheats but don't want to leave the honest people who have come to a bad place thru no fault of their own to go hungry or homeless. We are Americans and we are supposed to take care of our own. Not cradle to grave but a hand up in hard times.

I think businesses need regulation but not so much they can't stay open. It's a balancing act but I do feel it's the govts place to keep businesses from raping people and the environment. W/o the environment we have nothing. I am opposed to C&T because I don't think it really helps the problem just moves things around like a shell game. As my dad put it "Allowing corps to regulate themselves and expecting them all to do the right thing is like removing all the stop signs/lights and expecting no accidents."

I agree with much of what Obama has said but not a lot of what he has actually done, which conflicts with his statements.

I first learned of Johnson when Willie Nelson's TeaPot Party mentioned him on FB. Obviously I'm for legalization and as a patient and advocate it's an important issue as is the waste of a drug war. Unfortunately I am also smart enough to know both parties suck on this issue and few in either party will openly support legalization or ending the drug war, Obama said he wanted to change how it's faught but, more BS. I looked up Johnson and he's pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, anti-drug war, pro-playing world police, pro-immigration reform and pro-civil liberties. He's for the fair tax, which I'm not sold on but I'm def open to reform in that area.

I can see good in both parties, platform wise but they've allowed the extremists to set the tone. I think the control the 2 parties have on our govt is creating many of the problems and they often seem 2 sides of the same coin.

If an extremist like Santorum, Perry or Bachmann had gotten the GOP nod I'd vote for Obama, absolutely no question. Those people concern me as a non-Christian.

I'd rather vote for Johnson BUT if it comes to a really close race Obama is more in line with me on social issues than Romney and that's the only real difference I see between the two. Part of me wants to blow off the Dems and go Libertarian but I still have doubts and am mired in the current system.

I don't know if all that helps or confuses more.

asfriend
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Thx

I appreciate getting to know more about you, you are obviously a force on here.

Friday
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Quoting asfriend:

Thx

I appreciate getting to know more about you, you are obviously a force on here.

Thank you, I appreciate the civil discussion.

jejstover
by Jan on May. 8, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting -Eilish-:

Johnson will get my vote if Paul is not the Republican nominee.

Same here.

Jan

gammie
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM
Quoting sweet-a-kins:

voting for who is better than the rest is NOT a wasted vote. It tells the party stop pushing dumber and dumber

Ron Paul 2012big smile mini

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:25 PM

Quoting gammie:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

voting for who is better than the rest is NOT a wasted vote. It tells the party stop pushing dumber and dumber

How so? "Dumb & Dumber" keep winning

GraceHudson
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:28 PM
BUMP!

gammie
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:52 PM
Quoting sweet-a-kins:

look how great our counrty is doing by voting in more of the same. BushObama, MittObama there is nothing different in these guys. I would rather have 4 years of Obama than than he is out!! than 8 years of MittObama (same)

Massachusetts is what Obama wants for the counrty, Mitt is a Demoract! I dont understand how you cant see that? I would think you would want Mitt in office.

My vote will only go to a man that will be a president of the people, not a president for the banks!!

by the way do you know that Obama and Mitt get donations from goldman sachs? (they both will work for the banks)

Ron Paul 2012big smile mini

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)