Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

What is your news source of choice?

Posted by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:25 AM
  • 41 Replies

Do you stick to just one news source like Fox News, MSNBC or CNN? 

According to this article if you do you are more likely to misinformed.  More than not, Fox News viewers were the most misinformed viewers with NPR, New York Times, and USA today being the most informative.  Another good source of information, "The Daily Show with John Stewart".

A University of Maryland study also had similar findings.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-11-22/news/30431182_1_fox-news-results-show-viewers

http://www.newswise.com/articles/survey-fox-news-viewers-least-informed-most-negative-about-occupy-wall-street

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/17/fox-news-viewers-are-the-_n_798146.html

the study found that Fox News viewers, regardless of political information, were "significantly more likely" to believe that:

--Most economists estimate the stimulus caused job losses (12 points more likely)

--Most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit (31 points)

--The economy is getting worse (26 points)

--Most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring (30 points)

--The stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts (14 points)

--Their own income taxes have gone up (14 points)

--The auto bailout only occurred under Obama (13 points)

--When TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it (12 points)

--And that it is not clear that Obama was born in the United States (31 points)

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes. Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes. Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain. ~Butthole Surfers

by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by SenseandSensibility on May. 4, 2012 at 6:37 AM
2 moms liked this

You have to read and watch and listen to as many different sources as possible in order to get the most complete picture of what is going on.  Even then, because you will get some conflicting information and you need to be able to discern something factual from something opinion based that sounds factual, you have to read critically so you can determine what is and isn't really happening.

bluespagan
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Romalove, I completely agree with you.  I usually read and watch a good mix of news sources in order to get to the truth.  But at the same time I know plenty of people who think that Fox News and MSNBC are the gospel truth.

matreshka
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:50 AM

I get my news from a variety of sources from NPR when All Things Considered is on in the car, to my google news feed which is mostly AP stories, NY Times and some blogs, which I take with a grain of salt on accuracy.  If I want the real story from the blog, like Gawker I follow the link to the real story.

matreshka
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2012 at 6:52 AM
1 mom liked this

The Huffington Post I read for just for the wellness articles. I feel there is not a whole lot of hard journalism on the site.

bluespagan
by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:55 AM

I use the Huffington Post as a stepping stone, I always read the studies they post and I always look a bit deeper into what they have to say.  That and I have an acct there as well because it is fun to debate with the idiots that tend to pop up on news sites like that.

Quoting matreshka:

The Huffington Post I read for just for the wellness articles. I feel there is not a whole lot of hard journalism on the site.

KhaysJadie
by Member on May. 4, 2012 at 1:26 PM

Hmmm, Honestly I get most of my news "jumping off" articles off my FB news feed or articles here or what I hear people talking about. I just use Google, wade through a few viewpoints and read the actual legislation or whatever if the original source is available.

I enjoy the Daily Show and will watch it when I can and will go to CNN ahead of most other news outlets. Although, BBC is always interesting. Nothing like seeing your country from the outside.

I've also found Netflix "controversial documentaries" have made me aware of some things I didn't know before. Should say, perked interest in learning more.

I don't watch FOX....ever. In the past I have found their reporting some of the worst and abrasive out there and just don't care to hear it. I'm, also, not inclined to want to engage in political conversation with people who only reference FOX in their discussions. Unfortunately this means I don't talk politics with many people I live next to or are friends with.

My Husband runs into issues in his work place all the time stemming from FOX "news" as it seems like it is the only news outlet anyone listens to. It's always on in the lunch room and drives him crazy for the few minutes he's in there warming up lunch. He turned it onto MSNBC the other week just for grins and the whole office was hunting for the "liberal f-tard" in their mists. He was amused the entire afternoon.

rachelrothchild
by on May. 4, 2012 at 1:29 PM

Huffington Post, Natural News, AP, yahoo (for entertainment)

UpSheRises
by Silver Member on May. 4, 2012 at 2:02 PM

I listen to NPR in the morning, read the Detroit Free Press at lunch. Listen to NPR on the way home, and watch PBS NewsHour before dinner.

asfriend
by on May. 4, 2012 at 4:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting UpSheRises:

I listen to NPR in the morning, read the Detroit Free Press at lunch. Listen to NPR on the way home, and watch PBS NewsHour before dinner.

Wow, nothing like a balanced diet. bouncing

TruthSeeker.
by CM Junkie on May. 4, 2012 at 4:55 PM

Actually, I get a lot of my "news" here on CM from articles posted from various news sources. I listen to Rush Limbaugh everyday for a half hour while picking up the kids from school even though I know it's a biased news source because I still get to hear about what is going on.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)