Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

What is your news source of choice?

Posted by   + Show Post

Do you stick to just one news source like Fox News, MSNBC or CNN? 

According to this article if you do you are more likely to misinformed.  More than not, Fox News viewers were the most misinformed viewers with NPR, New York Times, and USA today being the most informative.  Another good source of information, "The Daily Show with John Stewart".

A University of Maryland study also had similar findings.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/2011-11-22/news/30431182_1_fox-news-results-show-viewers

http://www.newswise.com/articles/survey-fox-news-viewers-least-informed-most-negative-about-occupy-wall-street

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/12/17/fox-news-viewers-are-the-_n_798146.html

the study found that Fox News viewers, regardless of political information, were "significantly more likely" to believe that:

--Most economists estimate the stimulus caused job losses (12 points more likely)

--Most economists have estimated the health care law will worsen the deficit (31 points)

--The economy is getting worse (26 points)

--Most scientists do not agree that climate change is occurring (30 points)

--The stimulus legislation did not include any tax cuts (14 points)

--Their own income taxes have gone up (14 points)

--The auto bailout only occurred under Obama (13 points)

--When TARP came up for a vote most Republicans opposed it (12 points)

--And that it is not clear that Obama was born in the United States (31 points)

Some will die in hot pursuit and fiery auto crashes. Some will die in hot pursuit while sifting through my ashes. Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain. ~Butthole Surfers

by on May. 4, 2012 at 6:25 AM
Replies (21-30):
Momniscient
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:35 AM
1 mom liked this

Lol.

Evil PBS. Evil lefty commies. Nova IS science after all.

Quoting asfriend:

please tel me your joking. tell me that you know npr and pbs are far left wing outlets. living off of taxpayer money means that they dont have to even pretend to be objective

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting UpSheRises:

I listen to NPR in the morning, read the Detroit Free Press at lunch. Listen to NPR on the way home, and watch PBS NewsHour before dinner.

Wow, nothing like a balanced diet. bouncing

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Obviously it's supposed to be some kind of insult by i'm not sure what's so horrible about using news sources that aren't motivated by profit or ratings to sell ads.

-Eilish-
by Johnson 2012 on May. 5, 2012 at 10:12 AM

Internet sources mostly.

4kidz916
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I research on the internet, I listen to NPR on occasion, and I watch CNN and NBC for tv news. 

Jambo4
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 10:55 AM

I haven't had cable for over a year so most of my news comes from other sources, Internet, radio, newspaper (yes, about a month ago I started the Denver Post..lol.... for the coupons mostly but I like to sit down with it when I can.. makes me feel nostalgic for a different time ;)

godotherightthi
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:22 AM

ABC news and Drudge (which is a mix of sources)

godotherightthi
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Did you look at the study?  It's a small sample size from New Jersey - hardly a real study by scientific standards.

Quoting bluespagan:

Then how do you feel about the studies findings that those who rely solely on Fox news as their source tend to be less informed?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Fox News, Local Fox

bluespagan
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:25 AM

And did you notice that I posted other studies from other colleges outside of New Jersey?

Quoting godotherightthi:

Did you look at the study?  It's a small sample size from New Jersey - hardly a real study by scientific standards.

Quoting bluespagan:

Then how do you feel about the studies findings that those who rely solely on Fox news as their source tend to be less informed?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Fox News, Local Fox

godotherightthi
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:29 AM
1 mom liked this

No - one biased, unscientific source was enough to not trust the other sources you had.  I went with the first you had since I thought that would be your strongest.  Was one a comprehensive study for all of the US with unbiased/opinion sort of questions?

Quoting bluespagan:

And did you notice that I posted other studies from other colleges outside of New Jersey?

Quoting godotherightthi:

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Fox News, Local Fox

asfriend
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:39 AM

Hmm -

We were discussing news programs - if you don't know the difference in news and science your post may not be of very high value.

Quoting Momniscient:

Lol.

Evil PBS. Evil lefty commies. Nova IS science after all.

Quoting asfriend:

please tel me your joking. tell me that you know npr and pbs are far left wing outlets. living off of taxpayer money means that they dont have to even pretend to be objective

Quoting UpSheRises:

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting UpSheRises:

I listen to NPR in the morning, read the Detroit Free Press at lunch. Listen to NPR on the way home, and watch PBS NewsHour before dinner.

Wow, nothing like a balanced diet. bouncing

I'm not sure what you mean by that. Obviously it's supposed to be some kind of insult by i'm not sure what's so horrible about using news sources that aren't motivated by profit or ratings to sell ads.

sarebear31976
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:59 AM

I listen to NPR for a little while each day, I watch Morning Joe from 6-630 am, and I read whatever I can get my hands on online off and on all day.  I just checked the history on my computer to see which ones I read most often and it is usually the Washington Post, NY Times and Politico.  I never listen to or read anything from Fox News and local news drives me crazy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN