Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

3 Questions I'd Like to Ask President Obama & Mitt Romney - What 3 questions would YOU ask?

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM
  • 22 Replies

3 Questions I'd Like to Ask President Obama & Mitt Romney

Posted by Jenny Erikson on May 4, 2012 

obamaIf given the chance, here are three questions I would ask the presidential candidates.

1. Can you recount a moment with one or more of your children that changed your perspective on life?

Things change when you procreate. Parenthood sharpens your focus and gives you a sort of foresight that you didn’t know you had. It makes you prioritize and realize what’s important in life. Things that seemed like huge problems before having kids all of sudden don’t demand as much energy or attention as they once did.

When you raise children, you have to learn the delicate balance of helping them succeed versus trusting them to learn their own lessons. I want a president that knows the difference between helping those that really need it and creating a welfare lifestyle. People need help from time to time, but just like we don’t expect our children to be dependent upon us forever, neither should the government expect anyone to be indefinitely on the dole.

2. As a mom, I worry about my kids’ safety and the rising cost of gasoline. How important is energy independence for America in terms of national security, and what is your plan to get us there?

We import nearly 60 percent of the oil used here in America, and much of that comes from the Middle East, where tension runs high. Iran is constantly threatening to block the Strait of Hormuz, where 20 percent of the world’s traded oil passes.

Worldwide demand for oil is increasing, and renewable energy sources like solar panels or hydro-dams or wind farms seem like a pipedream. The United States has three times the amount of oil in Saudi Arabia in Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah. There’s more off the coasts and buried in the Alaskan tundra known as ANWR. Then there’s the crude oil that Canada wants to ship to Texas via the Keystone Pipeline to be refined.

We have the resources -- now we need leadership that won’t block us from getting to them.

3. Do you believe that rampant racism still exists in this country, and if so, could you give me a specific example?

Having been called a racist more times than I can count for disagreeing with a political ideology that is bankrupting my country, I’m tired of the term. Not only is it not true, but also it devalues the real struggle that many people once faced in the United States. 

Of course there will always be nutters that hold a grudge against another person for their skin color, but racism in general ceases to exist as it did in the Jim Crow era. It’s now wielded as a tool for creating chaos and division, and used often as a power grab and excuse to manufacture change. It’s not fair to anyone to claim racism where it doesn’t exist.

What 3 questions would YOU ask?

by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bluespagan
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:53 PM
2 moms liked this

1.  How do you feel about mixing your personal religious beliefs in with your job as president?

I especially find this important because I hate to think that a president would legislate for a nation as diverse as ours based on his one belief.

2.  If the Constitution grants everyone in the United States, "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness", how do you feel abut people trying to deny these basic rights to people because they disagree with their lifestyle or personal choices? 

Mainly in regards to abortion rights and Gay marriage.

3.  As a mother I worry about the constant rise of basic necessities of things such as gasoline, groceries and rent.  How do you suggest we lower prices on these necessities?

4kidz916
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Your question # 3 was exactly what I was coming in here to post.  

Quoting bluespagan:

1.  How do you feel about mixing your personal religious beliefs in with your job as president?

I especially find this important because I hate to think that a president would legislate for a nation as diverse as ours based on his one belief.

2.  If the Constitution grants everyone in the United States, "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness", how do you feel abut people trying to deny these basic rights to people because they disagree with their lifestyle or personal choices? 

3.  As a mother I worry about the constant rise of basic necessities of things such as gasoline, groceries and rent.  How do you suggest we lower prices on these necessities?

paperorplastic
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

Why either of you are even entitled to be President?  Under our constitution you were both born to a parent that was not an American citizen.  Please re-read what our country was founded on.

Why do you both agree on the same issues?  I thought one was a republican, and the other one was a democrat.  So in essence you are both the same.  America should expect the same with either one of you in office.

Why don't either of you follow our constitution?

bluespagan
by on May. 6, 2012 at 6:52 AM

Wow, someone needs to take a politics class.

They are both American citizens.  That has nothing to do with where your parents are from and all with where you are born.  Both were born in the US so they are qualified to be POTUS.

What do you mean "re-read what our country was founded on"?  Our country is one that is founded on immigrants. 

They both have similarities.  Why is that a bad thing?  Do you enjoy partisan bs?

If neither one were following the Consititution then that would be a Supreme Court issue.  Can you be more specific about which parts of the Constitution they are not following?

Quoting paperorplastic:

Why either of you are even entitled to be President?  Under our constitution you were both born to a parent that was not an American citizen.  Please re-read what our country was founded on.

Why do you both agree on the same issues?  I thought one was a republican, and the other one was a democrat.  So in essence you are both the same.  America should expect the same with either one of you in office.

matreshka
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:44 AM
1 mom liked this

1. how are you going to fix our educational system, and produce more high school graduates, which will only help the economy by having workers that are eligible to do more than flip burgers?

2. How are you going to either bring back or create new jobs here?  Think outside the box.

3. What are you going to do about inflation?

matreshka
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:45 AM

Me too, I have to say it's the one constant worry in my life.

Quoting 4kidz916:

Your question # 3 was exactly what I was coming in here to post.  

Quoting bluespagan:

paperorplastic
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Sorry, your wrong.  Look into the constitution, google it if you have to. It is un-constitutional to become the president of the US if a parent was not born here, but most people have no clue.  Do I enjoy bipartisanship?  I enjoy it as much as I enjoy a colonic.  Google SOPA, PIPA, NDAA, and then tell me how much more specific I need to be.

Quoting bluespagan:

They are both American citizens.  That has nothing to do with where your parents are from and all with where you are born.  Both were born in the US so they are qualified to be POTUS.

What do you mean "re-read what our country was founded on"?  Our country is one that is founded on immigrants. 

They both have similarities.  Why is that a bad thing?  Do you enjoy partisan bs?

If neither one were following the Consititution then that would be a Supreme Court issue.  Can you be more specific about which parts of the Constitution they are not following?

Quoting paperorplastic:

bluespagan
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:36 AM

LMAO, lady you are funny.  I really can't believe people like you vote.  smh

Article Two of the Constitution sets the principal qualifications to be eligible for election as President. A Presidential candidate must:
  • be a natural-born citizen of the United States;
  • be at least thirty-five years old;
  • have been a permanent resident in the United States for at least fourteen years.
Additionally, the Constitution disqualifies some people from the Presidency. Under Article One of the United States Constitution, the Senate has the option, upon conviction, of disqualifying impeached individuals from holding other federal offices, including the Presidency.[4] Under the Twenty-Second Amendment, no one can be elected President more than twice. The Twenty-Second Amendment also specifies that anyone who serves more than two years as President or Acting President, of a term for which someone else was elected President, can only be elected President once. Under the Twelfth Amendment a person who is no longer eligible to be President may not be Vice President either.

No where does it say in the Consitution that the parents of the President can't be immigrants.

Quoting paperorplastic:

Sorry, your wrong.  Look into the constitution, google it if you have to. It is un-constitutional to become the president of the US if a parent was not born here, but most people have no clue.  Do I enjoy bipartisanship?  I enjoy it as much as I enjoy a colonic.  Google SOPA, PIPA, NDAA, and then tell me how much more specific I need to be.

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting paperorplastic:

paperorplastic
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:17 PM

You have obviously not researched the issue. At the adoption of the Constitution a natural born citizen was one born in the country to citizen parents. A supreme court precedent exists in Minor v. Happersett. Senate Resolution SR511 says that John McCane is a natural born citizen due to his citizen parents. There has been no legislation mentioning natural born citizen, except the Naturalization Law of 1770, which was repealed in 1795. Even in that law a natural born citizen had to have two citizen parents, though the child could be born out of the country. No other amendment or law contemplated the phrase natural born citizen.  See how easy this was.  You are the one who obviously has no clue!  Be thankful "people like me educate themeselves and vote!"  It's the other 99% I worry about.

Quoting bluespagan:

LMAO, lady you are funny.  I really can't believe people like you vote.  smh

Article Two of the Constitution sets the principal qualifications to be eligible for election as President. A Presidential candidate must:
  • be a natural-born citizen of the United States;
  • be at least thirty-five years old;
  • have been a permanent resident in the United States for at least fourteen years.
Additionally, the Constitution disqualifies some people from the Presidency. Under Article One of the United States Constitution, the Senate has the option, upon conviction, of disqualifying impeached individuals from holding other federal offices, including the Presidency.[4] Under the Twenty-Second Amendment, no one can be elected President more than twice. The Twenty-Second Amendment also specifies that anyone who serves more than two years as President or Acting President, of a term for which someone else was elected President, can only be elected President once. Under the Twelfth Amendment a person who is no longer eligible to be President may not be Vice President either.

No where does it say in the Consitution that the parents of the President can't be immigrants.

Quoting paperorplastic:

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting paperorplastic:

Clairwil
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:18 PM
Quoting Cafe Steph:

2. As a mom, I worry about my kids’ safety and the rising cost of gasoline. How important is energy independence for America in terms of national security, and what is your plan to get us there?

We import nearly 60 percent of the oil used here in America, and much of that comes from the Middle East, where tension runs high. Iran is constantly threatening to block the Strait of Hormuz, where 20 percent of the world’s traded oil passes.

Worldwide demand for oil is increasing, and renewable energy sources like solar panels or hydro-dams or wind farms seem like a pipedream. The United States has three times the amount of oil in Saudi Arabia in Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah. There’s more off the coasts and buried in the Alaskan tundra known as ANWR. Then there’s the crude oil that Canada wants to ship to Texas via the Keystone Pipeline to be refined.

We have the resources -- now we need leadership that won’t block us from getting to them.

Did I miss hearing about the American invasion and conquest of Canada?  Here I was thinking it was a soverign country.

And, no, Canada is definitely not unified about wanting to extract the oil from their shale sands.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN