Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Newspaper Rescinds Endorsement After GOP Candidate Goes Birther: ‘He Has Done Nothing But Embarrass Us’

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:04 PM
  • 4 Replies

Newspaper Rescinds Endorsement After GOP Candidate Goes Birther: ‘He Has Done Nothing But Embarrass Us’

GOP congressional candidate Jim Pendergraph

Last week, the The Charlotte Observer endorsedRepublican congressional candidate Jim Pendergraph, but quickly backtracked after the candidate joined notorious birther Sheriff Joe Arpaio on the campaign trail, and raised his own doubts about President Obama’s birthplace.

I have reason to be suspicious,” he said of Obama’s birth certificate. “But I don’t know. I haven’t seen the facts. I think there’s a lot of smoke and generally when there’s smoke there’s got to be fire somewhere.”

The Observer, which originally praised Pendergraph as “conservative” was not pleased, publishing a scathing retraction of its support today for the North Carolina candidate:

After winning the Observer’s endorsement in his bid for Congress, he has done nothing but embarrass us and himself.

By buddying up to one of America’s more hateful egomaniacs and then joining with fringe “birthers” to question President Obama’s citizenship, Pendergraph has contradicted much of what he told the Observer’s editorial board in his endorsement interview last month. As a result, we have lost faith in him, and urge voters to consider Edwin Peacock or Ric Killian in the 9th Congressional District race.

The paper’s editorial board went on to say that it had originally thought Pendergraph was intelligent and reasonable and moderate, but that they don’t trust him now and are afraid he will “say whatever a given audience wants to hear, if it will help him get elected.”

"You are aware that the frontal lobe of the cerebral cortex allows people the ability to store and recall past events as they occurred, right?"
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
_Kissy_
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:32 PM
2 moms liked this
Insane people should have to wear a sign stating they are insane..i think I will start a business making them and link it from the heritage foundation, fox news and wnd websitea
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I am suprised that a newspaper would endorse such a character.  But then again they are a dying industry and will do anything for a sale.

lga1965
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:25 PM

ughhh...."birthers". I can't believe that there are still some mental midgets out there who think they have a leg to stand on.Idiots.

asfriend
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:47 AM

"one of America's more hatefull egomaniacs"   bouncing

I luved that part - that is only fringe groups and newspapers that believe that.

To the vast majority of Americans Sherrif Joe is a National Hero!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN