Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Iran Elections 2012: Ahmadinejad Routed By Rivals

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:07 PM
  • 7 Replies

Source: Huffington Post

TEHRAN, Iran — President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad's support in Iran's parliament crumbled as final results released Saturday showed conservative rivals consolidating their hold on the legislative body in a runoff vote.

Iran has touted a robust turnout for Friday's vote as a show of support for the country's religious leadership in its confrontation with the West over the Islamic Republic's controversial nuclear program.

The result is also a new humiliation for Ahmadinejad, whose political decline started last year with his bold but failed challenge of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei over the choice of intelligence chief.

While usually in agreement with the conservatives on foreign policy and many other issues, he had tried to change the rules of the political game in Iran, where the president and legislature are subordinate to religious figures like Khamenei.

Read more: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/05/iran-elections-2012-ahmadinejad_n_1483744.html

H.R.H. Friday of MaryJane

by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Jambo4
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:21 PM

I had not heard.

Thanks Friday.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I would like to see him hang.

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on May. 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I hadn't heard either and am glad they are standing their ground against him.  Thanks for posting this.

LIMom1105
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:18 AM
I can't stand him, but this isn't necessarily a good thing. The conservatives are no fans of the west, things could get even worse over there.
rocketracer
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 8:55 AM

Ahmadinejad may have been routed by rivals, but something tells me that his rivals will disappear soon...

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:20 AM

Yikes.  Looks like they may have gone from bad to worse.

Friday
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Quoting LIMom1105:

I can't stand him, but this isn't necessarily a good thing. The conservatives are no fans of the west, things could get even worse over there.

That's where I am too. Imadinnerjacket is a nutter but he's the evil we know. This could end up a bad thing.

H.R.H. Friday of MaryJane

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN