Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

McCain to Romney: VP should be someone you trust

Posted by   + Show Post

US Republican Senator John McCain had some advice Sunday for his party's presumptive nominee to take on President Barack Obama: choose someone you trust for vice president.

McCain, who lost the election four years ago to Obama, a Democrat, picked Sarah Palin as his running mate. His choice of the little known Alaska governor with limited experience on the national stage fired up the Republican Party's conservative base, but failed to stem a Democratic tide.

McCain was asked on ABC television's "This Week" how he would advise former Massachusetts governor Mitt Romney about picking a running mate.

"I think it's a person that he knows he could trust, and the primary -- the absolute, most important aspect is, if something happened to him, would that person be well qualified to take that place?" McCain said.

"I happen to believe that was the primary factor in my decision in 2008. And I know it will be Mitt's."

Palin, who was savaged by critics for being divisive and unprepared, resigned as Alaska governor after losing the election and went on to become a media personality and a vitriolic critic of the Obama administration.

One of the names mentioned as a possible Romney running mate is Cuban-American Marco Rubio, a 40 year-old senator from Florida who is a favorite of "Tea Party" conservatives.

Rubio, speaking on "Fox News Sunday," said the economy was worse off under Obama, and dismissed the president as a divisive Washington politician.

"All of the things that made him different and special four years ago are gone, and now, all he does is run dividing Americans against each other, obviously, because he can't run on his record," said Rubio.

But he dodged questions about a possible vice presidential run with Romney.

"I'm not going to talk about the vice presidential process," Rubio said. "But I can tell you that there are multiple ways that someone can help our nominee and I look forward to doing that."

Vice President Joe Biden joked that he might be interested in running in 2016 paired on a ticket withSecretary of State Hillary Clinton.

"I think we may run as a team," Biden told NBC's "Meet The Press" when asked to discuss his political future.

"I'm only joking obviously," Biden quickly added. "I don't know. I don't know whether I'm going to run and Hillary doesn't know whether she's going to run."

Clinton, who ran a tight campaign against Obama in 2008 in a failed bid to win the Democratic nomination, has ruled out any further White House bids.

But Biden said he was entirely certain that he will be Obama's 2012 running mate, despite speculation the president would try to strengthen the ticket's appeal by choosing Clinton instead.

"There is no question about it. There's no way out. They've already printed Obama-Biden (campaign posters)" he said. "You are looking at the vice presidential candidate of the United States of America."

http://news.yahoo.com/mccain-romney-vp-someone-trust-235254318.html

by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:53 PM
Replies (21-30):
asfriend
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Based on that being the "elite eight" of the tournament, the winner would be Rob Portman.

Though I dunno if I agree with the final 8.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on May. 7, 2012 at 1:31 PM
Plain gave him an increase and then she opened her mouth.

I would have voted for McCain. Then he picked Palin. There went my vote...

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Nope, I keep hearing Christie but they don't want someone that will over shadow Romney (personality wise) ....he could go Santorum....

He won't go Paul, while his supporters are EXTREMELY LOYAL and organized there aren't as many as needed...

Quoting jcribb16:

Have you heard of any "talks" behind closed doors between Romney and Paul?  I heard rumor of it from some one this weekend.

He won't pick Santorum.  That would be political suicide, much like McCain's choice of Palin.  Funny that he says having someone you trust and can step in for you should anything happen is so important, and he picked someone completely unqualified.

I'm guessing a woman or a Hispanic man.  Marco Rubio may be looking good to him.

Wow you are all over the place. After McCain choose Palin, he shot ahead in the polls. It wasn't until he suspended his campaign and went to Washington to work on the financial crisis that he fell back behind.

Palin was the reason that it was as closes it was. Were you paying any attention?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on May. 7, 2012 at 1:32 PM
You are not alone.

My In-Laws live in Florida...

Quoting mom2myprince:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

First of all he willingly calls himself the "Prince of the Tea Party" and I am 110% AGAINST the Tea Party and their loony antics.

Secondly, he claims to be Catholic AND Baptist. That is just odd and (in my opinion) not possible.

Thirdly, he proposed the amendment trying to make it okay for people to refuse contraception coverage based on "personal morals". Something I highly disagree with.

Also I don't like liars.

He blatantly lied about his family claiming his parents "fled" from Cuba and were "kicked out" of Cuba... Making them seem like refugees who could never return. LIE. (you can look into this story for more info if you like).

There's more...

Simply I don't like many of his policies and I don't like him.

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Rubio?

Really?

I can't vote for that horrible man....

Ugh...

Marco Rubio?

What in the world is horrible about Marco Rubio?

I dont trust Rubio at all.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Just Jess on May. 7, 2012 at 1:33 PM
Wow really?

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting romalove:

Good grief, do you really believe this?

Palin gave him a "bump" until she started to speak, be interviewed, and frankly to be skewered as dumb. 

If he had picked someone better, he might have won.  I can't tell you how many people I know who liked McCain and wanted to vote for him but couldn't put Palin that close to the Oval Office.

Then you should seriously upgrade the people that you know.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asfriend
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:38 PM

Yup really.

You never answered what you were FOR that you would be against fiscal responsibility.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

Wow really?

mom2myprince
by on May. 7, 2012 at 2:05 PM
I'm in Florida and I have not seen nothing he has done.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MizSandy
by Member on May. 7, 2012 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

McCain drives the car off of a cliff and the tells the tow truck driver to be careful.

VP Selection Process

matreshka
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 5:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I've only read it in opinion pieces and other soft news sources.  Nothing confirmed.

Quoting jcribb16:

Have you heard of any "talks" behind closed doors between Romney and Paul?  I heard rumor of it from some one this weekend.

matreshka
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 5:25 PM

I guess it's obvious McCain learned his lesson by choosing Palin, but then again it should have been obvious to him what she was like if he did just a bit of research.

asfriend
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM

There isn't going to be any Romney/Paul ticket, unless you all are talking about Rand Paul.

Cause that fight actually fly.

Quoting matreshka:

I've only read it in opinion pieces and other soft news sources.  Nothing confirmed.

Quoting jcribb16:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)