Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Romney’s moment of cowardice

Posted by   + Show Post

Romney’s moment of cowardice

He can't even muster the courage to correct a woman who says the president should be "tried for treason"

In hindsight, the last big moment of integrity for the Republican Party came when Sen. John McCain challenged an older white woman who called Barack Obama an “Arab” at an October 2008 campaign event. “No ma’am,” he told her wearily. “He’s a decent family man [and] citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues and that’s what this campaign’s all about. He’s not [an Arab].”

Since then, Republicans from Sarah Palin to John Boehner to Rick Santorum have had chances to slap down party members’ false and ugly allegations about the president, from his birthplace to his religion to his loyalty to the U.S., and they all failed. Mitt Romney had his moment Monday, when a woman at a town hall event said Obama should be “tried for treason,” and he failed too.

The moment seemed tailor-made for Romney to shake his Etch-A-Sketch and put the right-wing pandering of the primary season behind him. A woman in the crowd raised her hand and asked:

“We have a president right now that is operating outside the structure of our Constitution. And I want to know — yeah, I do agree he should be tried for treason — but I want to know what you would be able to do to restore balance between the three branches of government and what you are going to be able to do to restore our Constitution in this country.”

Romney missed the chance for a McCain moment, simply addressing the woman’s question and ignoring her charge of treason against the president.

“Well, as I’m sure you do, I happen to believe the Constitution was not just brilliant but probably inspired. I happen to believe the same thing about the Declaration of Independence,” he said, to applause. “I would respect the different branches of government if I am fortunate enough to become president.”

After the rally, in response to questions from CNN, Romney replied, sounding whiny: “I don’t correct all of the questions that get asked of me. Obviously I don’t agree that he should be tried.”

Obviously? Nothing is obvious about Romney’s beliefs. He lives in fear that the GOP base will reject him like a bad organ donation. In fact, Romney’s answer was almost identical to what Rick Santorum said after an audience member called Obama a Muslim: “It’s not my responsibility, as a candidate, to correct everybody who makes a statement that I disagree with.” Still going for the Santorum vote, Mitt?

I’ve said before that John McCain gets way too much Beltway credit for political courage. But credit where it’s due – he did the right thing in October 2008, and Romney did the wrong thing on Monday. There’s no better symbol of the GOP’s slide over the last four years than its presumptive nominee’s pathetic pandering.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Replies (11-20):
Momniscient
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Agreed.

He isn't a tea party favorite or a fringe candidate popular with the far right. He should be focusing on the moderate reasonable Americans that he could possibly get to vote for him.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I agree with you.  I don't think he realizes that, though.  I think that his Mormonism is an issue with a small group, but I think he is overestimating that group's influence, and it is making him defensive and concentrating his energies in the wrong areas.

Quoting Sisteract:

IMO, Romney Mormonism is the least of his problems.

Focusing on that tangent is just another excuse.

He should be far more concerned that many average Americans find him out of touch. Some of the things that he has said in  an attempt to appear more mainstream miss by a landslide.

One only knows what one knows- Romney does not know average-has NEVER lived it. 

People need to believe that their President is looking out for the best interest of ALL, not just a select few or non person entities. Both Romney and Obama miss on this mark- IMO, Romney's, rate of error is much, much higher.

Not Romney's fault. He only knows what he knows...and does a TERRIBLE job of convincing otherwise.

godotherightthi
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:24 PM
1 mom liked this

I saw that video, too....I don't think he's overestimating that group's influence, I think that's why he was frustrated with the radio host.  I think the host was trying to tell Romney that he has to publicly flaunt the tenants of his religion that are in line with Evangelicals in order to win - Romney was vehemently disagreeing with the host on that point.  To disagree on that point would be either underestimating or being neutral, but it wouldn't be overestimating. 

I think the Republican Elite are overestimating that group.  There is nothing to be done that could influence those who will vote against a Mormon based solely on the Mormon point.  He shouldn't try to cater to that portion of the R base.

What wrong areas do you think Romney is concentrating his energies on that are wrong?  I think he has been very consistent in his message..."It's about the economy...and we're not stupid". I do think he has an uphill battle of overcoming a RINO label, because of the state he represented as governor.  He's getting a lot of credit for liberal ideas that were not his and that he fought against.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

I agree with you.  I don't think he realizes that, though.  I think that his Mormonism is an issue with a small group, but I think he is overestimating that group's influence, and it is making him defensive and concentrating his energies in the wrong areas.

Quoting Sisteract:

He should be far more concerned that many average Americans find him out of touch. Some of the things that he has said in  an attempt to appear more mainstream miss by a landslide.

People need to believe that their President is looking out for the best interest of ALL, not just a select few or non person entities. Both Romney and Obama miss on this mark- IMO, Romney's, rate of error is much, much higher.

Not Romney's fault. He only knows what he knows...and does a TERRIBLE job of convincing otherwise.

godotherightthi
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:25 PM

He is THIS tea partier's favorite ;)

Quoting Momniscient:

Agreed.

He isn't a tea party favorite or a fringe candidate popular with the far right. He should be focusing on the moderate reasonable Americans that he could possibly get to vote for him.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting Sisteract:

PamR
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:01 PM

Romney's hardly alone in this.  It's rare to see a politician speak up (as McCain did back in '08) and actually tell someone that they are wrong when they say something so outrageous about an opponent.  And it does seem to be getting worse with every election.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on May. 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you feel qualified to say he didn't?

First off I said Can, third Obama took an oath to protect the constitution which he hasn't!

Quoting Momniscient:

So...

Do you then feel like you are qualified to state that the President of the United States has committed treason?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

I don' t know I am not a lawyer.

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

For a president NOT to follow the constitution can be treasonous so how was this wrong?

How would you present your case to the courts?

PamR
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Quote:

First off I said Can, third Obama took an oath to protect the constitution which he hasn't!

Could you be more specific?

nanaofsix531
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Romney looks like the kid on the play ground being bulliedblank stare by his peers.Poor little man.

Momniscient
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:11 PM

And how would you present to the court that President Obama has not followed the Constitution?

What is treason and what is your evidence that President Obama--your elected American official 'can' be considered to have committed treason. I am very interested to know so that I can make an informed decision as to whether the man who holds the highest office in the land is guilty of an imprison able and sometimes capital offense.

You asked how it was wrong that a woman said this. I ask you how it is right. Can you answer?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Momniscient:

So...

Do you then feel like you are qualified to state that the President of the United States has committed treason?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

For a president NOT to follow the constitution can be treasonous so how was this wrong?

rocketracer
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Quoting nanaofsix531:

Romney looks like the kid on the play ground being bulliedblank stare by his peers.Poor little man.

Obama certainly didn't stand up to Teamster Prez, Jimmy Hoffa when Hoffa said, "President Obama, this is your army. We are ready to march. Let's take these son of bitches out ."  Obama was on the same stage with Hoffa.  Obama couldn't ask the Teamster Prez to tone down his rhetoric.  Why?  Is Obama bullied by the Unions? 

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on May. 8, 2012 at 2:27 PM

I am not a lawyer.

Quoting Momniscient:

And how would you present to the court that President Obama has not followed the Constitution?

What is treason and what is your evidence that President Obama--your elected American official 'can' be considered to have committed treason. I am very interested to know so that I can make an informed decision as to whether the man who holds the highest office in the land is guilty of an imprison able and sometimes capital offense.

You asked how it was wrong that a woman said this. I ask you how it is right. Can you answer?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Momniscient:

So...

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN