Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Romney’s moment of cowardice

Posted by   + Show Post

He can't even muster the courage to correct a woman who says the president should be "tried for treason"

In hindsight, the last big moment of integrity for the Republican Party came when Sen. John McCain challenged an older white woman who called Barack Obama an “Arab” at an October 2008 campaign event. “No ma’am,” he told her wearily. “He’s a decent family man [and] citizen that I just happen to have disagreements with on fundamental issues and that’s what this campaign’s all about. He’s not [an Arab].”

Since then, Republicans from Sarah Palin to John Boehner to Rick Santorum have had chances to slap down party members’ false and ugly allegations about the president, from his birthplace to his religion to his loyalty to the U.S., and they all failed. Mitt Romney had his moment Monday, when a woman at a town hall event said Obama should be “tried for treason,” and he failed too.

The moment seemed tailor-made for Romney to shake his Etch-A-Sketch and put the right-wing pandering of the primary season behind him. A woman in the crowd raised her hand and asked:

“We have a president right now that is operating outside the structure of our Constitution. And I want to know — yeah, I do agree he should be tried for treason — but I want to know what you would be able to do to restore balance between the three branches of government and what you are going to be able to do to restore our Constitution in this country.”

Romney missed the chance for a McCain moment, simply addressing the woman’s question and ignoring her charge of treason against the president.

“Well, as I’m sure you do, I happen to believe the Constitution was not just brilliant but probably inspired. I happen to believe the same thing about the Declaration of Independence,” he said, to applause. “I would respect the different branches of government if I am fortunate enough to become president.”

After the rally, in response to questions from CNN, Romney replied, sounding whiny: “I don’t correct all of the questions that get asked of me. Obviously I don’t agree that he should be tried.”

Obviously? Nothing is obvious about Romney’s beliefs. He lives in fear that the GOP base will reject him like a bad organ donation. In fact, Romney’s answer was almost identical to what Rick Santorum said after an audience member called Obama a Muslim: “It’s not my responsibility, as a candidate, to correct everybody who makes a statement that I disagree with.” Still going for the Santorum vote, Mitt?

I’ve said before that John McCain gets way too much Beltway credit for political courage. But credit where it’s due – he did the right thing in October 2008, and Romney did the wrong thing on Monday. There’s no better symbol of the GOP’s slide over the last four years than its presumptive nominee’s pathetic pandering.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:18 AM
Replies (41-50):
rachelrothchild
by on May. 8, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Yes. Matt went to a town hall meeting here a couple years ago and asked a legit question about the Federal Reserve.  Our rep (Keith Ellison-D) not only didn't answer the question, but he turned and walked away from the microphone.  It was ridiculous.  The man is scum.  There's even video of it.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting rachelrothchild:

Deflecting/ignoring questions is common among politicians.

This is true....and very sad, isn't it?

CafeMom Tickers
Momniscient
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 4:09 PM
Feel free to direct me to the issue you would like me to address.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

LMAO sure!

Quoting Momniscient:

That's because I have no idea what you are talking about in your attempts to shift focus from the fact that you can't answer as to why it is okay for you to insinuate the President has committed treason.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

The only one deflecting here is you.  You can't answer 2 of my posts now.

Quoting Momniscient:

Specifically?

Nice deflection btw. lol.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

And you failed to comment on the hypocricy of the Obama administration? 

Quoting Momniscient:

Not really. You made insinuations and claims and you can't back them up with anything.

Not my responsibility to do it for you, right? Kind of like Romney isn't responsible. lol.

Funny.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Same thing you are doing isn't it?

Quoting Momniscient:

Out loud laugh.

So... that's a no. You just want to spout opinion with no backup.

God Bless America.

Snicker.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

I said it could be for one.  SEcond I live in America and I can say what I want.

Quoting Momniscient:

Then how are you qualified to insinuate that President Obama does not follow the constitution and 'can' be held as treasonous?

I'll ask again: can you defend your statement For a president NOT to follow the constitution can be treasonous so how was this wrong? in the context in which you replied to?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

I am not a lawyer.

Quoting Momniscient:

And how would you present to the court that President Obama has not followed the Constitution?

What is treason and what is your evidence that President Obama--your elected American official 'can' be considered to have committed treason. I am very interested to know so that I can make an informed decision as to whether the man who holds the highest office in the land is guilty of an imprison able and sometimes capital offense.

You asked how it was wrong that a woman said this. I ask you how it is right. Can you answer?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Do you feel qualified to say he didn't?

First off I said Can, third Obama took an oath to protect the constitution which he hasn't!

Quoting Momniscient:

So...

Do you then feel like you are qualified to state that the President of the United States has committed treason?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

I don' t know I am not a lawyer.

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

For a president NOT to follow the constitution can be treasonous so how was this wrong?

How would you present your case to the courts?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imamomzilla
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Ohhh..So, he's a coward for not having a "slap down" on a complete stranger at a rally? Um OK. I'm glad he didn't pull a McCain... then slink away.

For all we know she was an Obama plant. The whole thing sounds contrived.

What was it you were just lamenting on....? Something about blindness and partisianship....hmm.

PamR
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 6:34 PM

Quote:

Ohhh..So, he's a coward for not having a "slap down" on a complete stranger at a rally? Um OK. I'm glad he didn't pull a McCain... then slink away.

What was it you were just lamenting on....? Something about blindness and partisianship....hmm.

Yeah - lamenting partisanship - why couldn't Romney have simply (as McCain did) stated that this is not correct?  That whatever his political differences with Obama, he's not some sort of terrorist/Arab/nogoodnik that everyone needs to fear?  Answer is that Romney didn't want to upset anyone - he never does - who might vote for him. 

An Obama plant?  Really?  Seriously?

Momniscient
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Quoting PamR:

Quote:

Yeah - lamenting partisanship - why couldn't Romney have simply (as McCain did) stated that this is not correct?  That whatever his political differences with Obama, he's not some sort of terrorist/Arab/nogoodnik that everyone needs to fear?  Answer is that Romney didn't want to upset anyone - he never does - who might vote for him. 

An Obama plant?  Really?  Seriously?

Seriously.

Remember it is the Democrats who have manufactured the war on women to make the Republicans look bad.

They've done a good job apparently.

NancSBRN
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I amired MCain when he correct that woman. It is the most honorable things I saw in this compaign once he let who ever was mangaging it run him off into the ditch. I could of voted for him is not for that pandering to the extreme is what  I think lost him the election.

I think Romney is afraid of the GOP because most of them do not care for him.

PamR
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Quote:

I amired MCain when he correct that woman. It is the most honorable things I saw in this compaign once he let who ever was mangaging it run him off into the ditch. I could of voted for him is not for that pandering to the extreme is what  I think lost him the election.

I think Romney is afraid of the GOP because most of them do not care for him.

Yes.

doriselm
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 9:29 PM

You are correct, you are not a lawyer and neither am I but Obama did go against the constitution and that is clear and it was all over the papers the news and everywhere, he ignored this country's constitution. He said that he didn't care what anyone says if Congress doesn't come up with something he will do what he wants to do anyway, he said that more than once. He does exactly what he wants to do he makes decisions that he wants not what is best for our country and its people.

An inmate almost beat Obama in the votes, he earned one delegate, that is funny. Still afraid that the election will be rigged. The democrats are so sure they will win, that is why I am thinking that it will be rigged. Something is wrong with this whole affair. There is an agenda by the president that we will be surprised with should he get elected again. And I am sure it will not be in our favors.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

I am not a lawyer.

Quoting Momniscient:

And how would you present to the court that President Obama has not followed the Constitution?

What is treason and what is your evidence that President Obama--your elected American official 'can' be considered to have committed treason. I am very interested to know so that I can make an informed decision as to whether the man who holds the highest office in the land is guilty of an imprison able and sometimes capital offense.

You asked how it was wrong that a woman said this. I ask you how it is right. Can you answer?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

First off I said Can, third Obama took an oath to protect the constitution which he hasn't!

Quoting Momniscient:

So...

Do you then feel like you are qualified to state that the President of the United States has committed treason?

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

For a president NOT to follow the constitution can be treasonous so how was this wrong?

Citygirlk
by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:04 AM
People are so sure because mitt romney is joke and will most likely fail in debates against obama. I think the election will be a close one because it seems that more people will be voting third party, but I honestly doubt mitt will win the election. He'll wont get the youth vote, womans vote, or independent vote (meaning he wont get the majority) say the election will be riged is nonsence. The russion election was riged but I doubt that will happen here.

Quoting doriselm:

You are correct, you are not a lawyer and neither am I but Obama did go against the constitution and that is clear and it was all over the papers the news and everywhere, he ignored this country's constitution. He said that he didn't care what anyone says if Congress doesn't come up with something he will do what he wants to do anyway, he said that more than once. He does exactly what he wants to do he makes decisions that he wants not what is best for our country and its people.

An inmate almost beat Obama in the votes, he earned one delegate, that is funny. Still afraid that the election will be rigged. The democrats are so sure they will win, that is why I am thinking that it will be rigged. Something is wrong with this whole affair. There is an agenda by the president that we will be surprised with should he get elected again. And I am sure it will not be in our favors.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

I am not a lawyer.

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Momniscient:

So...

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Clairwil
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 4:42 AM
Quoting PamR:

Romney missed the chance for a McCain moment

I very much doubt it is a question of courage.

It was a question of cold political calculation.

Does anyone here think that, in modern American politics, someone could get to be president by having an unguarded mouth and just 'doing the right thing' ?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)