Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Physicians Group Asks Michelle Obama To Stop Being Photographed Eating Junk Food

Posted by   + Show Post

(Baltimore Sun) — First Lady Michelle Obama is on a mission to get our kids to eat healthy, but every now and then she is known to indulge on a cheeseburger or other food that is not so good for the body.

A few years ago she made a lunch run with staff to a Five Guys inWashington, D.C.

Well, a physicians group said this is a no-no and wants Michelle Obama and the rest of the first family not to be photographed eating unhealthy foods.

The Physicans Committee for Responsible Medicine said that President Obama has posed in a number of staged photos eating unhealthy foods, including hot dogs at a basketball game with British Prime Minister David Cameron. He and Vice President Joe Biden were spotted making a stop at Ray’s Hell Burger in Virginia and eating cheeseburgers with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev.

The group said Obama’s staff would never schedule a photo opp of the president smoking a cigarette, so why eating a piece of pizza?

The group plans to file a petition later this week asking the White House to issue an executive order banning staged photos of the president, his family the vice president and members of the president’s cabinet eating unhealthy foods.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Replies (111-120):
imamomzilla
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:42 PM

Thanks for the bumps, Mompants! :-)

Momniscient
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:44 PM

Quoting imamomzilla:

Thanks for the bumps, Mompants! :-)

Of course. I think everyone should be able to get to laugh at you.

imamomzilla
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Methinks someone has a crush on me....YIKES!! ew.

Momniscient
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM

Quoting imamomzilla:

Methinks someone has a crush on me....YIKES!! ew.

Totally. How could I not when all you do is parrot my words.

Imitation IS the sincerest form of flattery.

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 6:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting jcribb16:

The group, though, by not wanting pictures taken of them when they treat themselves to "unhealthy foods," is still going to give the wrong idea to kids.  It's going to make them think the Obamas never eat wrong or treat themselves to what some kids actually eat as a normal meal. 

In this case, I think the group is making a mountain out of a molehill - by making the Obamas always look like the perfect healthy food eaters, when behind the scenes they are normal occasionally, like many of Americans are.

Sorry if this response is jumbled - I know what I'm trying to say, but I can't get the words to come out right.

I see what you are trying to say and I get it, but....

I pulled my son from public schools partly because of lunch.  We don't eat junk.  My son LOVES veggies. And there in lies the problem.  He was bullied and harrassed for it.  I'd like to see one of these supposed healthy food proponents that actually showed my kids that the way we eat is okay....all the time.  That fruit is just as good a snack as candy bars. 

And she is so gung ho about it.  To see so many pics of her eating things that I don't feed my kids out (which is often where she seems to eat it so therefore it is definately unhealthy) it just makes me feel as though she isn't doing as she says.  KWIM?  I get what the group is saying because of the way we live our lives and how ostracized we sometimes feel for it.

Abaco
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:53 PM

LOL....I think the way you read it gives you that impression....it's in the mindset ; )

Quoting paknari:

The way you wrote that it sounds like she was giving a blow job in public. Not sure what you were trying to say but you got a laugh out of me!

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Abaco:

She oughta be ashamed of herself ! Shoving that in among children  ! Bad influence.  I hope she takes more than a couple of swallows !

What does that even mean? Would you say something like this in front of Jesus?

Momniscient
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting jcribb16:

The group, though, by not wanting pictures taken of them when they treat themselves to "unhealthy foods," is still going to give the wrong idea to kids.  It's going to make them think the Obamas never eat wrong or treat themselves to what some kids actually eat as a normal meal. 

In this case, I think the group is making a mountain out of a molehill - by making the Obamas always look like the perfect healthy food eaters, when behind the scenes they are normal occasionally, like many of Americans are.

Sorry if this response is jumbled - I know what I'm trying to say, but I can't get the words to come out right.

I pulled my son from public schools partly because of lunch.  We don't eat junk.  My son LOVES veggies. And there in lies the problem.  He was bullied and harrassed for it.  I'd like to see one of these supposed healthy food proponents that actually showed my kids that the way we eat is okay....all the time.  That fruit is just as good a snack as candy bars. 

And she is so gung ho about it.  To see so many pics of her eating things that I don't feed my kids out (which is often where she seems to eat it so therefore it is definately unhealthy) it just makes me feel as though she isn't doing as she says.  KWIM?  I get what the group is saying because of the way we live our lives and how ostracized we sometimes feel for it.

You feel ostracized for eating healthy? I find that to be a lot different from my community.

In my community it's a whole lifestyle thing and I'd be boo'd publicly if caught dead in a McDonalds parking lot. lol.

Momniscient
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:55 PM

Of course it is.

Quoting Abaco:

LOL....I think the way you read it gives you that impression....it's in the mindset ; )

Quoting paknari:

The way you wrote that it sounds like she was giving a blow job in public. Not sure what you were trying to say but you got a laugh out of me!

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Abaco:

She oughta be ashamed of herself ! Shoving that in among children  ! Bad influence.  I hope she takes more than a couple of swallows !

What does that even mean? Would you say something like this in front of Jesus?

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on May. 8, 2012 at 6:56 PM
3 moms liked this

I agree with that totally.  If she's going to practice what she preaches, fine.  If she's going to ocassionally treat, fine - she should say something to that effect.  If she's only pushing her idea of healthy eating, but yet not actually living it much at all, then yes, she's wrong for promoting something she doesn't do herself.  She should know by now, people are everywhere when she's out and about (and B.O., too) and there will always be someone with a camera to call her out on this.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting jcribb16:

imamomzilla
by on May. 8, 2012 at 6:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Get outta here! Bullies suck. frown miniMy son gets ribbed too because he loves veggies. ((hugs))

Here's what I think...if she's photographed IN PUBLIC eating that crap, you know she's doing it when the cameras are not clicking too. She should be more cautious when she knows others are watching....especially if she a spokesperson for eating right.

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting jcribb16:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN