Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Physicians Group Asks Michelle Obama To Stop Being Photographed Eating Junk Food

Posted by   + Show Post

(Baltimore Sun) — First Lady Michelle Obama is on a mission to get our kids to eat healthy, but every now and then she is known to indulge on a cheeseburger or other food that is not so good for the body.

A few years ago she made a lunch run with staff to a Five Guys inWashington, D.C.

Well, a physicians group said this is a no-no and wants Michelle Obama and the rest of the first family not to be photographed eating unhealthy foods.

The Physicans Committee for Responsible Medicine said that President Obama has posed in a number of staged photos eating unhealthy foods, including hot dogs at a basketball game with British Prime Minister David Cameron. He and Vice President Joe Biden were spotted making a stop at Ray’s Hell Burger in Virginia and eating cheeseburgers with Russian President Dmitry Medvedev.

The group said Obama’s staff would never schedule a photo opp of the president smoking a cigarette, so why eating a piece of pizza?

The group plans to file a petition later this week asking the White House to issue an executive order banning staged photos of the president, his family the vice president and members of the president’s cabinet eating unhealthy foods.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:32 AM
Replies (21-30):
1Giovanni
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Omg, Omg...what? Really I can't believe it, she is really human? She isn't perfect? Wow, the first time I heard this. lol

I think I respect her more now, because she really is a human. 

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on May. 8, 2012 at 1:07 PM
2 moms liked this

Is a hamburger always junk food?

I think advocating healthier eating and excercise is a good thing.  I think demonizing foods is a bad thing.  I don't remember Mrs. Obama saying no one should ever eat a hamburger or have a piece of cake?

I don't know how effective her campaign is (I suspect that most people don't know/don't care) but I think sometimes they have to eat something "junky" because they are supporting something where they are, like at a fair or festival or a ball game.

::checks the teapot to see the size of the tempest::

Abaco
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 1:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Abaco:

She oughta be ashamed of herself ! Shoving that in among children  ! Bad influence.  I hope she takes more than a couple of swallows !

What does that even mean? Would you say something like this in front of Jesus?

You being a Jerk for Jesus I don't expect you to understand.....but I think I did say it in front of Jesus.....He is with me always : ) And have reason to believe he's smiling......"I hope she takes more than a couple of swallows" is implying I hope she doesn't choke on it.  LOL...."slow down cow poke" !

imamomzilla
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree...the Food Police should be stopped. Like this story:

Massachusetts Bans School Bake Sales Because They’re Not Nutritious Enough

(Boston Herald) — Bake sales, the calorie-laden standby cash-strapped classrooms, PTAs and booster clubs rely on, will be outlawed from public schools as of Aug. 1 as part of new no-nonsense nutrition standards, forcing fundraisers back to the blackboard to cook up alternative ways to raise money for kids.

At a minimum, the nosh clampdown targets so-called “competitive” foods — those sold or served during the school day in hallways, cafeterias, stores and vending machines outside the regular lunch program, including bake sales, holiday parties and treats dished out to reward academic achievement. But state officials are pushing schools to expand the ban 24/7 to include evening, weekend and community events such as banquets, door-to-door candy sales and football games.

The Departments of Public Health and Education contend clearing tables of even whole milk and white bread is necessary to combat an obesity epidemic affecting a third of the state’s 1.5 million students. But parents argue crudites won’t cut it when the bills come due on athletic equipment and band trips.

“If you want to make a quick $250, you hold a bake sale,” said Sandy Malec, vice president of the Horace Mann Elementary School PTO in Newtonville.

Maura Dawley of Scituate said the candy bars her 15-year-old son brought to school to help pay for a youth group trip to Guatemala “sold like wildfire.” She worries the ban “would seriously affect the bottom line of the PTOs.

It's controversial because it appears she doesn't practice what she preaches.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

It's an odd request.  I don't think that telling people that they should NEVER have a cheeseburger or hot dog is sustainable.  People are going to eat unhealthy food every now and then.  It's what people eat everyday that makes the difference.  All her initiative is doing is trying to encourage people to eat healthy food more regularly.  I truly don't get why this is so controversial.

Momniscient
by on May. 8, 2012 at 1:59 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Abaco:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Abaco:

She oughta be ashamed of herself ! Shoving that in among children  ! Bad influence.  I hope she takes more than a couple of swallows !

You being a Jerk for Jesus I don't expect you to understand.....but I think I did say it in front of Jesus.....He is with me always : ) And have reason to believe he's smiling......"I hope she takes more than a couple of swallows" is implying I hope she doesn't choke on it.  LOL...."slow down cow poke" !

Riiiiiight.

I'm sure Jesus is so proud of you. So very very proud.

Abaco
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 1:59 PM
1 mom liked this

eye rolling

Quoting imamomzilla:

I agree...the Food Police should be stopped. Like this story:

Massachusetts Bans School Bake Sales Because They’re Not Nutritious Enough

(Boston Herald) — Bake sales, the calorie-laden standby cash-strapped classrooms, PTAs and booster clubs rely on, will be outlawed from public schools as of Aug. 1 as part of new no-nonsense nutrition standards, forcing fundraisers back to the blackboard to cook up alternative ways to raise money for kids.

At a minimum, the nosh clampdown targets so-called “competitive” foods — those sold or served during the school day in hallways, cafeterias, stores and vending machines outside the regular lunch program, including bake sales, holiday parties and treats dished out to reward academic achievement. But state officials are pushing schools to expand the ban 24/7 to include evening, weekend and community events such as banquets, door-to-door candy sales and football games.

The Departments of Public Health and Education contend clearing tables of even whole milk and white bread is necessary to combat an obesity epidemic affecting a third of the state’s 1.5 million students. But parents argue crudites won’t cut it when the bills come due on athletic equipment and band trips.

“If you want to make a quick $250, you hold a bake sale,” said Sandy Malec, vice president of the Horace Mann Elementary School PTO in Newtonville.

Maura Dawley of Scituate said the candy bars her 15-year-old son brought to school to help pay for a youth group trip to Guatemala “sold like wildfire.” She worries the ban “would seriously affect the bottom line of the PTOs.

It's controversial because it appears she doesn't practice what she preaches.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

It's an odd request.  I don't think that telling people that they should NEVER have a cheeseburger or hot dog is sustainable.  People are going to eat unhealthy food every now and then.  It's what people eat everyday that makes the difference.  All her initiative is doing is trying to encourage people to eat healthy food more regularly.  I truly don't get why this is so controversial.

Abaco
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:03 PM
2 moms liked this

Oh.....I'm sure He is proud of you too ! I'll give you an " L " for Learning : )

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Abaco:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Abaco:

Riiiiiight.

PamR
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 2:04 PM
3 moms liked this

Eating the occasional burger is fine.  My doctor says to follow the 80/20 rule - if you eat healthfully 80% of the time, you can enjoy a little junk food from time to time.

Momniscient
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course Jesus is proud of me Aldea. I actually care about people and their issues. I am not filled with malice towards that which I don't understand.

Quoting Abaco:

Oh.....I'm sure He is proud of you too ! I'll give you an " L " for Learning : )

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Abaco:

Quoting Momniscient:

Quoting Abaco:

Riiiiiight.

imamomzilla
by on May. 8, 2012 at 2:10 PM

That's why Mompants works for J4J. She's not just a member, she's the president!smile big 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)