Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

North Carolina votes down same sex marriage...

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM
  • 125 Replies

Updated at 8:17 a.m. ET: North Carolina voters Tuesday overwhelmingly approved a proposed amendment to the state’s constitution which limits marriage to traditional one man-one woman marriages.

With all of the state's 100 counties reporting, the amendment won in a landslide, with 61 percent of the vote.

Supporters of traditional marriage were encouraged by the outcome in North Carolina and portrayed it as part of a trend in their favor.

“Our position that marriage is between a man and a woman is gaining support, not losing support,” said Brian Brown, president of the National Organization for Marriage.

“Earlier this week the Gallup poll showed that support for same-sex marriage is down. Actual vote percentages in favor of traditional marriage are rising. In 2008 in California, the Prop 8 constitutional amendment on traditional marriage passed with 52 percent of the vote. Then in 2009 in Maine, 53 percent of voters stood for traditional marriage and rejected same-sex marriage legislation. In 2010, 56 percent of Iowa voters rejected three Supreme Court judges who had imposed gay marriage in that state. And now more than 60 percent of North Carolina voters have passed a constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman. There is a clear trend line, and it is moving in our direction.”

Full article: http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/08/11604355-north-carolina-approves-ban-on-same-sex-marriage-by-wide-margin

Any thoughts?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
_Kissy_
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:23 PM
2 moms liked this
How does gay marriage effect these peoples lives.

But hey marrying your cousin and sugar daddy websites are still a hit in NC
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
imamomzilla
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:29 PM
1 mom liked this

How would YOU know? LOL

Quoting _Kissy_:

How does gay marriage effect these peoples lives.

But hey marrying your cousin and sugar daddy websites are still a hit in NC

Momniscient
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:32 PM
2 moms liked this

That's too bad.

Let's get this economy back on track so that social issues become important again and we can hopefully get to a place where we are not a country of ideological backwardness.

matreshka
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM

It's not that they are voting down same-sex marriage, its that they are voted for bigotry.

mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:50 PM
5 moms liked this

What's so SMART about  2 men or 2 women mating?

And the people who encourage it.

Do you have to possess a certain high IQ to love it?

Because I'm smart and I think it's rather odd behaviour...............

To insinuate that you possess some special skill or trait because you approve of homosexuality is the ultimate arrogance.

imamomzilla
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:53 PM
2 moms liked this

I read somewhere that a huge segment of those people who opposed it were black...like 75%. Are you saying they are bigots?

Quoting matreshka:

It's not that they are voting down same-sex marriage, its that they are voted for bigotry.

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on May. 9, 2012 at 12:55 PM
1 mom liked this

How sad for NC. Maybe one day they will see the light.

mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:56 PM
3 moms liked this

Keep looking for the light...............................

Ugh.

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on May. 9, 2012 at 12:56 PM

woah woah woah. AA people can't be bigots? I do believe a large percentage of AA's are of Christian faith. I'm guessing that would be why they are against gay marriage. 

Quoting imamomzilla:

I read somewhere that a huge segment of those people who opposed it were black...like 75%. Are you saying they are bigots?

Quoting matreshka:

Pamela05
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:01 PM
3 moms liked this

I voted yesterday...It is a sad day for NC. Its funny how we can go fight for rights and freedoms overseas but we can't do the same here. We are hypocrites.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)