Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

North Carolina votes down same sex marriage...

Posted by   + Show Post

Updated at 8:17 a.m. ET: North Carolina voters Tuesday overwhelmingly approved a proposed amendment to the state’s constitution which limits marriage to traditional one man-one woman marriages.

With all of the state's 100 counties reporting, the amendment won in a landslide, with 61 percent of the vote.

Supporters of traditional marriage were encouraged by the outcome in North Carolina and portrayed it as part of a trend in their favor.

“Our position that marriage is between a man and a woman is gaining support, not losing support,” said Brian Brown, president of the National Organization for Marriage.

“Earlier this week the Gallup poll showed that support for same-sex marriage is down. Actual vote percentages in favor of traditional marriage are rising. In 2008 in California, the Prop 8 constitutional amendment on traditional marriage passed with 52 percent of the vote. Then in 2009 in Maine, 53 percent of voters stood for traditional marriage and rejected same-sex marriage legislation. In 2010, 56 percent of Iowa voters rejected three Supreme Court judges who had imposed gay marriage in that state. And now more than 60 percent of North Carolina voters have passed a constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman. There is a clear trend line, and it is moving in our direction.”

Full article: http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/08/11604355-north-carolina-approves-ban-on-same-sex-marriage-by-wide-margin

Any thoughts?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Replies (101-110):
imamomzilla
by on May. 10, 2012 at 7:57 AM

bowing down

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting lga1965:

Quoting asfriend:

i live in nc and voted "for" of course, it was already against the law, this was just a step to thwart activist judges who think they are above the law. over 60% voted for, over 90% of the states it is illegal. if you are for gays having special rights simply because they were born with a defective gene, you should check yourself you are seriously outside the mainstream

Are you serious? Defective gene? LOL. Wow, you are so undereducated.Your problem is a bloated ego, no compassion and a hard heart.

Two people who love each other should be able to marry. Do you even understand love?

Yah, I suppose you will complain and have my post removed and I will hear from someone about how I have to stop personal attacks....even though you are the one who needs a wake up call and an attitude adjustment.

FOR THE RECORD:

I have never and would never complain about words on a screen. Does this site even have a report a abuse button? Couldn't tell ya.   Liberals do that, not conservatives.  We say let everyone speak, no matter how ignorant their thought may be.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so". ~Ronald Reagan

roseytheriveter
by Member on May. 10, 2012 at 8:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Basically, the media is reporting that NC voted against gay marriage, but there is a correction: they voted to uphold the definition of marriage!  That in effect is what they legally did.  So, rather than say, "you can't get married" they said, "we don't want to change the definition of marriage".  Splitting hairs?  Not really.  It depends on how you look at it.

In my opinion, I don't want to change the definition; too many want to get married for the benefits only.  And yes, I'm also against it because of my faith.  I'm not judging anyone; live your life as you see fit, but it is perfectly ok for Christians to say, hey, this is not what marriage is defined as in my faith and I'm against gay marriage.

MonicaV1982
by on May. 10, 2012 at 8:05 AM
i never said there wasn't a gay gene; just that it isn't a "defective" gene.

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Quoting asfriend:

i live in nc and voted "for" of course, it was already against the law, this was just a step to thwart activist judges who think they are above the law. over 60% voted for, over 90% of the states it is illegal. if you are for gays having special rights simply because they were born with a defective gene, you should check yourself you are seriously outside the mainstream

Seriously?! Not only is that scientifically unproven, but reprehensible for you to say that. Myself, my sister, my friends, and all the other LGBTQ people should be full and equal citizens with the right to marry who they wish. You seriously are a backwards person.

Really?  The homosexual lobby has spent the last 50 years telling everyone that it is not a choice, that people are born that way.  That people should not be discriminated upon that basis. That kinda kills that argument. (Not the ones that experiment. that's a different story)

Scientists are about to isolate the gay gene, that is going to overnight turn the Homosexual lobby into Pro-life, as mothers start aborting gay babies.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
asfriend
by on May. 10, 2012 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

What possible evidence could you have that it is not defective? As a species we evolve. Attraction to the same sex is not a mutation conducive to promoting the species. It is a defect. People shouldn't be discriminated against because of this defect anymore than if they had a cleft palate or the down syndrome gene. But we shouldn't legislate special rights either.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Quoting asfriend:

Seriously?! Not only is that scientifically unproven, but reprehensible for you to say that. Myself, my sister, my friends, and all the other LGBTQ people should be full and equal citizens with the right to marry who they wish. You seriously are a backwards person.

Really?  The homosexual lobby has spent the last 50 years telling everyone that it is not a choice, that people are born that way.  That people should not be discriminated upon that basis. That kinda kills that argument. (Not the ones that experiment. that's a different story)

Scientists are about to isolate the gay gene, that is going to overnight turn the Homosexual lobby into Pro-life, as mothers start aborting gay babies.

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Quoting MonicaV1982:

People are not realizing that North Carolina already had a ban on same sex marriage!

Actually we did cover that.  But this is more.  This has farther reaching affects.  It takes away the right of unmarried couples to be involved in medical desicions.  It's juat a very bad decision!

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2012 at 8:56 AM

Where was it legally stated what the definition of marriage was?

The Constitution doesn't state it's a man and a woman.

Two adults , that can enter into binding contracts, should be able to make that choice

People are bigots, which is why man and woman is the "traditional" marriage.

Gay people were beaten and killed for being gay...sometimes they STILL are

Quoting roseytheriveter:

Basically, the media is reporting that NC voted against gay marriage, but there is a correction: they voted to uphold the definition of marriage!  That in effect is what they legally did.  So, rather than say, "you can't get married" they said, "we don't want to change the definition of marriage".  Splitting hairs?  Not really.  It depends on how you look at it.

In my opinion, I don't want to change the definition; too many want to get married for the benefits only.  And yes, I'm also against it because of my faith.  I'm not judging anyone; live your life as you see fit, but it is perfectly ok for Christians to say, hey, this is not what marriage is defined as in my faith and I'm against gay marriage.

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2012 at 8:57 AM

Can you explain what "special right" you believe is being given to same sex couples when the state recognizes their right to marry?  Seriously, I don't understand that position.

Quoting asfriend:

What possible evidence could you have that it is not defective? As a species we evolve. Attraction to the same sex is not a mutation conducive to promoting the species. It is a defect. People shouldn't be discriminated against because of this defect anymore than if they had a cleft palate or the down syndrome gene. But we shouldn't legislate special rights either.

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Quoting asfriend:

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on May. 10, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Calling gay people defective are we?

Please provide proof of this

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Quoting asfriend:

Quoting MonicaV1982:

Quoting asfriend:

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Why does there need to be a "legal" or state definition of marriage?  If it is a religious institution, what do laws have to do with it?

You are also arguing semantics.  They didn't "say" you can't get married, but they protected the fact that the gay community cannot marry.  And are you saying that straight couples don't marry for the benefits?  Citizenship?  Insurance?  Why are we singling out gay couples and saying they can't marry for the benefits, but we don't make it illegal for straight couples to marry for the benefits?

Quoting roseytheriveter:

MonicaV1982
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this
i know that

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Quoting MonicaV1982:

People are not realizing that North Carolina already had a ban on same sex marriage!

Actually we did cover that.  But this is more.  This has farther reaching affects.  It takes away the right of unmarried couples to be involved in medical desicions.  It's juat a very bad decision!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)