Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

North Carolina votes down same sex marriage...

Posted by   + Show Post

Updated at 8:17 a.m. ET: North Carolina voters Tuesday overwhelmingly approved a proposed amendment to the state’s constitution which limits marriage to traditional one man-one woman marriages.

With all of the state's 100 counties reporting, the amendment won in a landslide, with 61 percent of the vote.

Supporters of traditional marriage were encouraged by the outcome in North Carolina and portrayed it as part of a trend in their favor.

“Our position that marriage is between a man and a woman is gaining support, not losing support,” said Brian Brown, president of the National Organization for Marriage.

“Earlier this week the Gallup poll showed that support for same-sex marriage is down. Actual vote percentages in favor of traditional marriage are rising. In 2008 in California, the Prop 8 constitutional amendment on traditional marriage passed with 52 percent of the vote. Then in 2009 in Maine, 53 percent of voters stood for traditional marriage and rejected same-sex marriage legislation. In 2010, 56 percent of Iowa voters rejected three Supreme Court judges who had imposed gay marriage in that state. And now more than 60 percent of North Carolina voters have passed a constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman. There is a clear trend line, and it is moving in our direction.”

Full article: http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/08/11604355-north-carolina-approves-ban-on-same-sex-marriage-by-wide-margin

Any thoughts?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Replies (11-20):
imamomzilla
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I didn't say that. Of course, bigots come in all sizes, colors, and religions. ;-)

If 75 % is faithful...shouldn't we conclude that this country is a 'Christian Nation'....or is N.C. the exception?

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

woah woah woah. AA people can't be bigots? I do believe a large percentage of AA's are of Christian faith. I'm guessing that would be why they are against gay marriage. 

Quoting imamomzilla:

I read somewhere that a huge segment of those people who opposed it were black...like 75%. Are you saying they are bigots?

Quoting matreshka:

It's not that they are voting down same-sex marriage, its that they are voted for bigotry.

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on May. 9, 2012 at 1:03 PM
2 moms liked this

If the founders deemed it as such and if all people here were Christian then yes it would be a Christian nation. Thank God that it is not and that we are all free to believe and practice as we wish. 

Quoting imamomzilla:

I didn't say that. Of course, bigots come in all sizes, colors, and religions. ;-)

If 75 % is faithful...shouldn't we conclude that this country is a 'Christian Nation'....or is N.C. the exception?

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

woah woah woah. AA people can't be bigots? I do believe a large percentage of AA's are of Christian faith. I'm guessing that would be why they are against gay marriage. 

Quoting imamomzilla:

I read somewhere that a huge segment of those people who opposed it were black...like 75%. Are you saying they are bigots?

Quoting matreshka:

It's not that they are voting down same-sex marriage, its that they are voted for bigotry.

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

What's so SMART about  2 men or 2 women mating?

And the people who encourage it.

Do you have to possess a certain high IQ to love it?

Because I'm smart and I think it's rather odd behaviour...............

To insinuate that you possess some special skill or trait because you approve of homosexuality is the ultimate arrogance.

Who said that you have to be smart or that only smart people approve of homosexuality?  And do you have to approve of the behavior to want it made legal?

imamomzilla
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Yes, THANK GOD!

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

If the founders deemed it as such and if all people here were Christian then yes it would be a Christian nation. Thank God that it is not and that we are all free to believe and practice as we wish. 

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting matreshka:

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on May. 9, 2012 at 1:08 PM
2 moms liked this

What's wrong with two people who love each other being together?

Who said anything about having a certain IQ if you support this?

How do gay people and them getting married affect your life / marriage? 

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

To insinuate that you possess some special skill or trait because you approve of homosexuality is the ultimate arrogance.

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:10 PM

LOL!  Aww Pema and Zilla!  Keep the truce!  You two will never agree on this one!

imamomzilla
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:13 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting bluerooffarm:

LOL!  Aww Pema and Zilla!  Keep the truce!  You two will never agree on this one!

Not fighting. :-)

imamomzilla
by on May. 9, 2012 at 1:15 PM

I think she's referring to Mompant's comment about "backwardness". Could be wrong.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on May. 9, 2012 at 1:16 PM

We are discussing. I knew she'd like that I thanked God. ;-) I'm not fighting. I'm not in the mood. I'm about to go bridezilla on my mother. I will save it for her.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

Not fighting. :-)

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on May. 9, 2012 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

OOooohhh..that is what I get for not reading all the responses. 

Quoting imamomzilla:

I think she's referring to Mompant's comment about "backwardness". Could be wrong.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)