Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

North Carolina votes down same sex marriage...

Posted by   + Show Post

Updated at 8:17 a.m. ET: North Carolina voters Tuesday overwhelmingly approved a proposed amendment to the state’s constitution which limits marriage to traditional one man-one woman marriages.

With all of the state's 100 counties reporting, the amendment won in a landslide, with 61 percent of the vote.

Supporters of traditional marriage were encouraged by the outcome in North Carolina and portrayed it as part of a trend in their favor.

“Our position that marriage is between a man and a woman is gaining support, not losing support,” said Brian Brown, president of the National Organization for Marriage.

“Earlier this week the Gallup poll showed that support for same-sex marriage is down. Actual vote percentages in favor of traditional marriage are rising. In 2008 in California, the Prop 8 constitutional amendment on traditional marriage passed with 52 percent of the vote. Then in 2009 in Maine, 53 percent of voters stood for traditional marriage and rejected same-sex marriage legislation. In 2010, 56 percent of Iowa voters rejected three Supreme Court judges who had imposed gay marriage in that state. And now more than 60 percent of North Carolina voters have passed a constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman. There is a clear trend line, and it is moving in our direction.”

Full article: http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/08/11604355-north-carolina-approves-ban-on-same-sex-marriage-by-wide-margin

Any thoughts?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Replies (31-40):
Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on May. 9, 2012 at 1:28 PM

No she isn't. They paid for my American ceremony for my first marriage. 

Thanks!

Quoting imamomzilla:

Is she paying for any of it? Mine didn't, therefore she had no say...and I reminded her of that. ;-)

Good luck!

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

You have no idea girl. I swear if she b***** about one more thing about the wedding I'm going to tell her not to come. 

frustrated

Quoting imamomzilla:

LOL

Uh oh! *grabs the camera

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

We are discussing. I knew she'd like that I thanked God. ;-) I'm not fighting. I'm not in the mood. I'm about to go bridezilla on my mother. I will save it for her.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting bluerooffarm:

LOL!  Aww Pema and Zilla!  Keep the truce!  You two will never agree on this one!

Not fighting. :-)

matreshka
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I see nothing wrong with my statement. Peole who are aginst same sex marriage need to get out of others' private lives. Same sex marriage doesn't hurt anyone. In fact, here in Mass where it is legal there is a boom in wedding planning and the local economy.

Quoting imamomzilla:

We covered that. Yes. But that was a mighty big brush you used to make that sweeping generalization. ;-)

Quoting matreshka:

African americans cant be bigoted?

Quoting imamomzilla:

I read somewhere that a huge segment of those people who opposed it were black...like 75%. Are you saying they are bigots?

Quoting matreshka:

It's not that they are voting down same-sex marriage, its that they are voted for bigotry.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:33 PM
2 moms liked this

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:34 PM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Saw that on FB earlier today.  Yuck!

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on May. 9, 2012 at 1:49 PM

What sick people! They are ok with cousins marrying but not gays? I just don't know what to say. No wonder other countries think we are f***** up.

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 1:57 PM

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

What sick people! They are ok with cousins marrying but not gays? I just don't know what to say. No wonder other countries think we are f***** up.

Only double first cousins prohibited from getting married: North Carolina. I had to look up double first cousins. What's that? It's when "two siblings reproduce with another set of siblings"... their children are all double first cousins.

So, if a girl and her sister are out and meet two brothers, they pair off, have sex, and each couple produces a baby... those kids couldn't get married in North Carolina.

And since that seems exceedingly rare, I ask you, North Carolina: Why bother? Is this just a token effort not to make my "Anything Goes!" list below? This is like saying you're giving up alcohol, but only giving up Sam Adams Winter Lager.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Quote:

The clear and central purpose of the Fourteenth Amendment was to eliminate all official sources of invidious racial discrimination in the States. There can be no question but that Virginia's miscegenation statutes rest solely upon distinctions drawn according to race. The statutes proscribe generally accepted conduct if engaged in by members of different races. At the very least, the Equal Protection Clause demands that racial classifications, especially suspect in criminal statutes, be subjected to the "most rigid scrutiny", and, if they are ever to be upheld, they must be shown to be necessary to the accomplishment of some permissible state objective, independent of the racial discrimination which was the object of the Fourteenth Amendment to eliminate. Indeed, two members of this Court have already stated that they "cannot conceive of a valid legislative purpose...which makes the color of a person's skin the test of whether his conduct is a criminal offense."

There is patently no legitimate overriding purpose independent of invidious racial discrimination which justifies this classification. The fact that Virginia prohibits only interracial marriages involving white persons demonstrates that the racial classifications must stand on their own justification, as measures designed to maintain White Supremacy. We have consistently denied the constitutionality of measures which restrict the rights of citizens on account of race. There can be no doubt that restricting the freedom to marry solely because of racial classifications violates the central meaning of the Equal Protection Clause.

II.

These statutes also deprive the Lovings of liberty without due process of law in violation of the Due Process Clause of the Fourteenth Amendment. The freedom to marry has long been recognized as one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men.

Marriage is one of the "basic civil rights of man," fundamental to our very existence and survival. To deny this fundamental freedom on so unsupportable a basis as the racial classifications embodied in these statutes, classifications so directly subversive of the principle of equality at the heart of the Fourteenth Amendment, is surely to deprive all the State's citizens of liberty without due process of law. The Fourteenth Amendment requires that the freedom of choice to marry not be restricted by invidious racial discriminations. Under our Constitution, the freedom to marry, or not marry, a person of another race resides with the individual and cannot be infringed by the State.

These convictions must be reversed.

Much of this text (from the Loving decision 1967) can be applied to same sex discrimination

imamomzilla
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here....

How is that any more repugnant than two men committing sodomy? Love is love, right?

Oh and NC isn't the only state where it's legal...take a gander:

Alabama

Alaska

California

Colorado

Connecticut

District of Columbia

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Maryland

Massachusetts

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina*

Rhode Island

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vermont

Virginia

*NC- First cousin marriage is legal. Double cousin marriage is prohibited

(ncsl. org)

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM

If you don't know what's repugnant about cousins marrying....I feel sorry for you....and your cousins

Quoting imamomzilla:

How is that any more repugnant than two men committing sodomy? Love is love, right?

Pema_Jampa
by Celeste on May. 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM

Look I don't have a problem with them getting married. Isn't the problem with the offspring? Why would you create children you knew would have mental and physical disabilities on purpose?

Is it really that hard not to marry within one's family? 

Quoting imamomzilla:

Alabama

Alaska

California

Colorado

Connecticut

District of Columbia

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Maryland

Massachusetts

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina*

Rhode Island

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vermont

Virginia

*NC- First cousin marriage is legal. Double cousin marriage is prohibited

(ncsl. org)

Alabama

Alaska

California

Colorado

Connecticut

District of Columbia

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Maryland

Massachusetts

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina*

Rhode Island

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vermont

Virginia

Cousin marriage legal

First cousin marriage prohibited

Allowed under certain circumstances

Alabama

Alaska

California

Colorado

Connecticut

District of Columbia

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Maryland

Massachusetts

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina*

Rhode Island

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vermont

Virginia

Alabama

Alaska

California

Colorado

Connecticut

District of Columbia

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Maryland

Massachusetts

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina*

Rhode Island

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vermont

Virginia

Alabama

Alaska

California

Colorado

Connecticut

District of Columbia

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Maryland

Massachusetts

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina*

Rhode Island

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vermont

Virginia

Cousin marriage legal

First cousin marriage prohibited

Allowed under certain circumstances

Alabama

Alaska

California

Colorado

Connecticut

District of Columbia

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Maryland

Massachusetts

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina*

Rhode Island

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vermont

Virginia

Arkansas

Delaware

Idaho

Iowa

Kansas

Kentucky

Louisiana

Michigan

Minnesota

Mississippi

Missouri

Montana

Nebraska

Nevada

New Hampshire

North Dakota

Ohio

Oklahoma

Oregon

Pennsylvania

South Dakota

Texas

Washington

West Virginia

Wyoming

Arizona

Illinois

Indiana

Maine

Utah

Wisconsin

Alabama

Alaska

California

Colorado

Connecticut

District of Columbia

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Maryland

Massachusetts

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina*

Rhode Island

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vermont

Virginia

Alabama

Alaska

California

Colorado

Connecticut

District of Columbia

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Maryland

Massachusetts

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina*

Rhode Island

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vermont

Virginia

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)