Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

North Carolina votes down same sex marriage...

Posted by   + Show Post

Updated at 8:17 a.m. ET: North Carolina voters Tuesday overwhelmingly approved a proposed amendment to the state’s constitution which limits marriage to traditional one man-one woman marriages.

With all of the state's 100 counties reporting, the amendment won in a landslide, with 61 percent of the vote.

Supporters of traditional marriage were encouraged by the outcome in North Carolina and portrayed it as part of a trend in their favor.

“Our position that marriage is between a man and a woman is gaining support, not losing support,” said Brian Brown, president of the National Organization for Marriage.

“Earlier this week the Gallup poll showed that support for same-sex marriage is down. Actual vote percentages in favor of traditional marriage are rising. In 2008 in California, the Prop 8 constitutional amendment on traditional marriage passed with 52 percent of the vote. Then in 2009 in Maine, 53 percent of voters stood for traditional marriage and rejected same-sex marriage legislation. In 2010, 56 percent of Iowa voters rejected three Supreme Court judges who had imposed gay marriage in that state. And now more than 60 percent of North Carolina voters have passed a constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman. There is a clear trend line, and it is moving in our direction.”

Full article: http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/08/11604355-north-carolina-approves-ban-on-same-sex-marriage-by-wide-margin

Any thoughts?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Replies (41-50):
imamomzilla
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:12 PM

" typical lies and ignorance. "

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

If you don't know what's repugnant about cousins marrying....I feel sorry for you....and your cousins

Quoting imamomzilla:

I'm going to play the devil's advocate here....

How is that any more repugnant than two men committing sodomy? Love is love, right?

Oh and NC isn't the only state where it's legal...take a gander:

imamomzilla
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:21 PM

Sorry that copy/pasted weird. I tried to edit it.

It's not something I'd personally do...but it doesn't always cause disabilities. Again, I'm not a doctor, nor an expert. I met a child once doing social work who was the product of such an arrangement...kid was completely normal....for what I could tell, and above average in intelligence.

The family was very poor.

:-(

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Look I don't have a problem with them getting married. Isn't the problem with the offspring? Why would you create children you knew would have mental and physical disabilities on purpose?

Is it really that hard not to marry within one's family? 

Quoting imamomzilla:

How is that any more repugnant than two men committing sodomy? Love is love, right?

Alabama

Alaska

California

Colorado

Connecticut

District of Columbia

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Maryland

Massachusetts

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina*

Rhode Island

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vermont

Virginia

*NC- First cousin marriage is legal. Double cousin marriage is prohibited

(ncsl. org)

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

What sick people! They are ok with cousins marrying but not gays? I just don't know what to say. No wonder other countries think we are f***** up.

Abaco
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:22 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL....you make a good point here Momzie ! Love is Love !  LOL

Quoting imamomzilla:

Alabama

Alaska

California

Colorado

Connecticut

District of Columbia

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Maryland

Massachusetts

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina*

Rhode Island

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vermont

Virginia

(ncsl. org)

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

What sick people! They are ok with cousins marrying but not gays? I just don't know what to say. No wonder other countries think we are f***** up.

Abaco
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM
1 mom liked this

There was quite a bit of this in the out islands of the Bahamas.  Most of the children were pretty normal ......others were like a few in this group.

Quoting imamomzilla:

It's not something I'd personally do...but it doesn't always cause disabilities. Again, I'm not a doctor, nor an expert. I met a child once doing social work who was the product of such an arrangement...kid was completely normal....for what I could tell, and above average in intelligence.

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Look I don't have a problem with them getting married. Isn't the problem with the offspring? Why would you create children you knew would have mental and physical disabilities on purpose?

Quoting imamomzilla:

Alabama

Alaska

California

Colorado

Connecticut

District of Columbia

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Maryland

Massachusetts

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina*

Rhode Island

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vermont

Virginia

(ncsl. org)

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

imamomzilla
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:29 PM

I just spit out my tea.

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting Abaco:

There was quite a bit of this in the out islands of the Bahamas.  Most of the children were pretty normal ......others were like a few in this group.

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Abaco
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:33 PM

Momzie.....I was sincere in saying that, really I was !  It would be amusing talking to some of them.....the adults that is.  Going around in circles.  Reminds me of that Agriculturist or whoever in "Green Acres".  Our neighbor Bill is the same way ! 

Quoting imamomzilla:

I just spit out my tea.

sidesplittinglaughter

Quoting Abaco:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on May. 9, 2012 at 2:34 PM

I'm wondering if this was seen as ok long ago because well people didn't travel like they do today so they knew their family and closest neighbors. families used to stay together for the most part. Many living with their parents until they wed. 

I saw some horror movie where these deformed family where the mother would have sex with her sons and have babies. I just can't get this image out of my head....

throwing up

Quoting imamomzilla:

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Quoting imamomzilla:

Alabama

Alaska

California

Colorado

Connecticut

District of Columbia

Florida

Georgia

Hawaii

Maryland

Massachusetts

New Jersey

New Mexico

New York

North Carolina*

Rhode Island

South Carolina

Tennessee

Vermont

Virginia

(ncsl. org)

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

jessi2girls
by on May. 9, 2012 at 2:35 PM

that's sad it really is!

These people disgust me that vote against it! Unamerican!

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on May. 9, 2012 at 2:39 PM

There's nothing wrong with cousins getting married, scientists say

Risk of babies having genetic defects 'has been overstated'

The risk of giving birth to babies with genetic defects as a result of marriages between first cousins is no greater than that run by women over 40 who become pregnant, according to two scientists who call for the taboo on first-cousin families to be lifted.

Women in their forties are not made to feel guilty about having babies and the same should apply to cousins who want to marry, said Professor Diane Paul of the University of Massachusetts in Boston and Professor Hamish Spencer of the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand. Although first-cousin marriages are legal in Britain, there have been calls to ban the practice because of reports that it has resulted in a higher-than-average incidence of birth defects in certain immigrant communities where it is common and culturally acceptable.

However, Professors Paul and Spencer said that the risk of congenital defects is about 2 per cent higher than average for babies born to first-cousin marriages – with the infant mortality about 4.4 per cent higher – which is on a par with the risk to babies born to women over 40. "Women over the age of 40 have a similar risk of having children with birth defects and no one is suggesting they should be prevented from reproducing," said Professor Spencer, whose co-authored study is published in the online journal Public Library of Science.

First-cousin marriages were once quite common in Europe, especially among the elite – Charles Darwin married his first cousin Emma Wedgwood – but that changed in the late 19th-century as people, especially women, became more socially mobile and the risks became more evident. The stigma attached to first-cousin marriages was supported by early studies into human genetics suggesting that "recessive" versions of a gene (which are not expressed unless there are two of them, one from each parent) are more likely to be expressed in the children of genetically related parents, as well as more likely to be defective.

Most states in America have either outlawed or restricted the practice, as has China, Taiwan and both North and South Korea. Professor Spencer, an evolutionary zoologist, said these laws should be repealed, especially in America, where he said they were drafted in a way that discriminated against the rural poor and immigrants: "Neither the scientific nor social assumptions behind such legislation stand up to close scrutiny. Such legislation reflects outmoded prejudices about immigrants and the rural poor and relies on over-simplified views of heredity. There is no scientific grounding for it."

In the UK, the issue came to the fore when the MP Phil Woolas, now the Immigration minister, claimed earlier this year that first-cousin marriages within Asian communities in Britain resulted in an increasing number of children with health problems. "A lot of arranged marriages are with first cousins, and that produces lots of genetic problems in terms of disability [in children]," Mr Woolas said.

Peter Corry of St Luke's Hospital in Bradford estimates that among people of Pakistani descent in the city, 55 per cent of whom marry first cousins, the risk of recessive genetic disorders – the type due to related parents – is between 10 and 15 times higher than in the general population. A 2004 study found that 13 out of 1,000 Asian children born in the Bradford area had inherited recessive disorders, which can lead to disabilities.

A family affair: Cousins who tied the knot

Jerry Lee Lewis

The rock 'n 'roll star infamously married his 13-year-old first cousin once removed, 10 years his junior, in 1957. His popularity initially fell but recovered when he began performing country and western music.

Jesse James

The Missouri outlaw married his first cousin Zerelda "Zee" Mimms in 1874 at the height of the James-Younger gang's reign. They had two children and remained together until Jesse's death, aged 34, 12 years later.

H G Wells

The science fiction author of The Time Machine and The War of the Worlds married his first cousin Isabel Mary Wells in 1891 but left her after three years to marry one of his students, with whom he had two children.

Edgar Allan Poe

The American gothic poet secretly married his 13-year-old first cousin, Virginia Eliza Clemm, in 1834. She died of tuberculosis in 1847.

Johann Sebastian Bach

In 1707 Bach married his second cousin Maria Barbara Bach and had seven of his 20 children with her.

Khalid Mahmood

The Birmingham MP married his first cousin, Rifat, when he was in his twenties. They had a child – now a teenager – but separated in 1992.

Charles Darwin

The naturalist, whose work forms the basis for contemporary evolutionary theory, married his first cousin Emma Wedgwood in 1839. They had 10 children, to whom he was a devoted father.

Pema_Jampa
by 2HotTacoTini on May. 9, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Ok then we should let everyone get married. LOVE is LOVE ;-)

clapping

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN