Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

North Carolina votes down same sex marriage...

Posted by   + Show Post

Updated at 8:17 a.m. ET: North Carolina voters Tuesday overwhelmingly approved a proposed amendment to the state’s constitution which limits marriage to traditional one man-one woman marriages.

With all of the state's 100 counties reporting, the amendment won in a landslide, with 61 percent of the vote.

Supporters of traditional marriage were encouraged by the outcome in North Carolina and portrayed it as part of a trend in their favor.

“Our position that marriage is between a man and a woman is gaining support, not losing support,” said Brian Brown, president of the National Organization for Marriage.

“Earlier this week the Gallup poll showed that support for same-sex marriage is down. Actual vote percentages in favor of traditional marriage are rising. In 2008 in California, the Prop 8 constitutional amendment on traditional marriage passed with 52 percent of the vote. Then in 2009 in Maine, 53 percent of voters stood for traditional marriage and rejected same-sex marriage legislation. In 2010, 56 percent of Iowa voters rejected three Supreme Court judges who had imposed gay marriage in that state. And now more than 60 percent of North Carolina voters have passed a constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman. There is a clear trend line, and it is moving in our direction.”

Full article: http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/08/11604355-north-carolina-approves-ban-on-same-sex-marriage-by-wide-margin

Any thoughts?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Replies (61-70):
Pamela05
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Government should not be involved in the business of marriage.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Quoting Pamela05:

I totally agree!  I was kind of waiting for that response.

PamR
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Civil marriage?

Quote:

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on May. 9, 2012 at 3:39 PM

That is not un-American.  People have the freedom to vote the way they feel according to their views and beliefs - that's part of the American freedoms we are fortunate to have.  If you were against it, I guess what you are saying is that then if anyone then voted for it, they would be un-American, because they don't vote as you think they should to match what you feel and believe.

Quoting jessi2girls:

that's sad it really is!

These people disgust me that vote against it! Unamerican!

JakeandEmmasMom
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:41 PM
3 moms liked this
I don't think that how adults choose to live their lives should be a matter that is up for a vote.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Friday
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 3:56 PM
2 moms liked this

Civil rights should never be up for vote, ever. This is very wrong and sad.

H.R.H. Friday of MaryJane

rachelrothchild
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:00 PM
1 mom liked this

I wish the government would stay out of marriage.  

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 4:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Nobody's rights should EVER be up for vote

The MINORITY are PROTECTED from the TIERNY of the MAJORITY, sound familiar?

Quoting jcribb16:

That is not un-American.  People have the freedom to vote the way they feel according to their views and beliefs - that's part of the American freedoms we are fortunate to have.  If you were against it, I guess what you are saying is that then if anyone then voted for it, they would be un-American, because they don't vote as you think they should to match what you feel and believe.

Quoting jessi2girls:

that's sad it really is!

_Kissy_
by on May. 9, 2012 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Can we put your civil rights and freedoms to a vote?
AGAIN, HOW DOES GAY MARRIAGE EFFECT ANYONES LIFE

Quoting jcribb16:

Quoting jessi2girls:

that's sad it really is!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on May. 9, 2012 at 4:34 PM

Well then, why don't you just march right up to NC and tell them this, okay?  I don't make the rules - I gave my thoughts according to what the other poster said.  Since it HAS to be voted on, people have the RIGHT to vote yay or nay, is my point; not just one way only and be called un-American for not voting the way she apparently thinks.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Nobody's rights should EVER be up for vote

The MINORITY are PROTECTED from the TIERNY of the MAJORITY, sound familiar?

Quoting jcribb16:

Quoting jessi2girls:

that's sad it really is!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN