Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

North Carolina votes down same sex marriage...

Posted by   + Show Post

Updated at 8:17 a.m. ET: North Carolina voters Tuesday overwhelmingly approved a proposed amendment to the state’s constitution which limits marriage to traditional one man-one woman marriages.

With all of the state's 100 counties reporting, the amendment won in a landslide, with 61 percent of the vote.

Supporters of traditional marriage were encouraged by the outcome in North Carolina and portrayed it as part of a trend in their favor.

“Our position that marriage is between a man and a woman is gaining support, not losing support,” said Brian Brown, president of the National Organization for Marriage.

“Earlier this week the Gallup poll showed that support for same-sex marriage is down. Actual vote percentages in favor of traditional marriage are rising. In 2008 in California, the Prop 8 constitutional amendment on traditional marriage passed with 52 percent of the vote. Then in 2009 in Maine, 53 percent of voters stood for traditional marriage and rejected same-sex marriage legislation. In 2010, 56 percent of Iowa voters rejected three Supreme Court judges who had imposed gay marriage in that state. And now more than 60 percent of North Carolina voters have passed a constitutional amendment defining marriage as the union of one man and one woman. There is a clear trend line, and it is moving in our direction.”

Full article: http://nbcpolitics.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/08/11604355-north-carolina-approves-ban-on-same-sex-marriage-by-wide-margin

Any thoughts?

by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Replies (81-90):
Gaccck
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:28 PM
1 mom liked this

They voted against equality and civil rights.  and that's disgusting and disappointing. 

jessi2girls
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:41 PM

People have the right to vote.. the problem is, this should even be UP FOR VOTE.. it's a civil rights issue!

So yes, when you go in and vote against an issue like this, you are voting against those people's civil rights.

voting for it doesn't violate someones civil rights!

Quoting jcribb16:

That is not un-American.  People have the freedom to vote the way they feel according to their views and beliefs - that's part of the American freedoms we are fortunate to have.  If you were against it, I guess what you are saying is that then if anyone then voted for it, they would be un-American, because they don't vote as you think they should to match what you feel and believe.

Quoting jessi2girls:

that's sad it really is!

These people disgust me that vote against it! Unamerican!

PamR
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 5:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Quote:

I don't feel like or want to argue something non-arguable.  I simply said something to a poster who called people involved in this un-American for voting a certain way instead of apparently the way she wanted.  There are differing opinions on this issue as we all know.  Some people applaud what happened as others don't.  I just disagreed with her that only certain type voters are un-American because they don't "go with the flow" so-to-speak.
Of course it isn't un-American to disagree, and of course there are differing opinions.  The point is that civil rights are not up for a vote.
jessi2girls
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:46 PM

1- plenty of us have marched for the rights of the gay community.

2- it doesn't HAVE to be voted on, nor should it ever have been brought up to a vote.  It's civil rights we are talking about, not an anti smoking/pro marijuana campaign! 

So yes, if you vote against someone's civil rights, someone's freedoms, because of your religious beliefs, when we are suppose to have freedom of religion..

that's unamerican!

Quoting jcribb16:

Well then, why don't you just march right up to NC and tell them this, okay?  I don't make the rules - I gave my thoughts according to what the other poster said.  Since it HAS to be voted on, people have the RIGHT to vote yay or nay, is my point; not just one way only and be called un-American for not voting the way she apparently thinks.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Nobody's rights should EVER be up for vote

The MINORITY are PROTECTED from the TIERNY of the MAJORITY, sound familiar?

Quoting jcribb16:

That is not un-American.  People have the freedom to vote the way they feel according to their views and beliefs - that's part of the American freedoms we are fortunate to have.  If you were against it, I guess what you are saying is that then if anyone then voted for it, they would be un-American, because they don't vote as you think they should to match what you feel and believe.

Quoting jessi2girls:

that's sad it really is!

jessi2girls
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:53 PM

It's not about what I like as far as the sides go or which side I'm on.. the fact that it's even up for vote is a joke.. and completely unconstitutional..

Voting against it.. is saying, screw you, my religious beliefs are more important that your civil rights!  THAT is what makes a person voting against it UNAMERICAN!

Again, it's not like I'm debating legalizing pot, or raising taxes for ___, shutting or fighting to keep open a local library.. THOSE of course are issues that SHOULD be up for vote, and voting either way isn't violating anyones rights!

The Gay marriage issue however shouldn't (again) be up for vote AT ALL!

Quoting jcribb16:

I did not even ONCE give my preference toward that and YOU KNOW IT.  I said something to the other poster for calling people "un-American" because they apparently didn't vote like she thinks.  Every American has the right to vote for what they think, not just one way.  Get your facts straight, ma'am, and stop calling me names for something I wasn't speaking of myself on.  That is just plain ridiculous to assume like you enjoy doing.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

None of your responses were conducive to a conversation

I wan't calling you a name, telling the truth....discrimination against gay people = bigot

Quoting jcribb16:

Since you choose to belittle and call names, there is apparently no way to have a decent conversation with you.  Good day.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

It is Unamerican because the VOTE itself is UNCONSTITUTIONAL...

What part of that are you pretending to not understand so you can remain a bigot?

Quoting jcribb16:

Well then, why don't you just march right up to NC and tell them this, okay?  I don't make the rules - I gave my thoughts according to what the other poster said.  Since it HAS to be voted on, people have the RIGHT to vote yay or nay, is my point; not just one way only and be called un-American for not voting the way she apparently thinks.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Nobody's rights should EVER be up for vote

The MINORITY are PROTECTED from the TIERNY of the MAJORITY, sound familiar?

Quoting jcribb16:

Quoting jessi2girls:

that's sad it really is!

jessi2girls
by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Let's put it like this then:

If you feel gay marriage is against your personal beliefs, and do not agree with it, you have the right to that opinion, be it I agree or not.

VOTING against said issue however, which clearly violates the gay communities civil rights, among being unconstitution.. however, (which I clearly said voting, not just simply having your own personal beliefs on the matter)... is where it makes you unamerican!

Quoting jcribb16:

I don't feel like or want to argue something non-arguable.  I simply said something to a poster who called people involved in this un-American for voting a certain way instead of apparently the way she wanted.  There are differing opinions on this issue as we all know.  Some people applaud what happened as others don't.  I just disagreed with her that only certain type voters are un-American because they don't "go with the flow" so-to-speak.

Quoting PamR:

Quote:

But it doesn't HAVE to be voted on.  There was never a vote for interracial marriage.  Or voting.  Or any other civil rights issue.  This will end up going through the courts, to the Supreme Court.  No doubt.  And eventually, I think, it will be legalized.  As it should be.

lga1965
by on May. 9, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Quoting mustbeGRACE:

What's so SMART about  2 men or 2 women mating?

And the people who encourage it.

Do you have to possess a certain high IQ to love it?

Because I'm smart and I think it's rather odd behaviour...............

To insinuate that you possess some special skill or trait because you approve of homosexuality is the ultimate arrogance.

No, you just have to be a nice, accepting,loving and generous human being in order to let gays and lesbians have a life together and love each other. gays and lesbians have the right to love each other.

If you don't approve and it bothers you, you are going to have a hard time avoiding it . There are gays and lesbians being born all the time and they will not go away.

It used to be that people thought it was wrong for people of different races to marry---in some states mixed marriages are still illegal and some churches won't allow a couple attend their church if they are not white.

Its the same kind of prejudice against gays and lesbians. If you disapprove of any of them, it is being mean , bigoted . But you feel free to live that way,. Its just that they are all around....maybe next door. big smile miniYou will need to go live by yourself on top of a mountain,maybe.LOL.Or in a cave?

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on May. 9, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Thank you for clarifying your view more.  I'm just trying to say that SOME people out there will not agree with that stance, have their own stance on the issue,and are entitled to their own views and opinions, whether others agree or not, and if something does have to come to a vote, they will vote their view, which is freedom of being an American.  I'm only trying to make a specific point.

Quoting jessi2girls:

If you feel gay marriage is against your personal beliefs, and do not agree with it, you have the right to that opinion, be it I agree or not.

VOTING against said issue however, which clearly violates the gay communities civil rights, among being unconstitution.. however, (which I clearly said voting, not just simply having your own personal beliefs on the matter)... is where it makes you unamerican!

Quoting jcribb16:

Quoting PamR:

Quote:

But it doesn't HAVE to be voted on.  There was never a vote for interracial marriage.  Or voting.  Or any other civil rights issue.  This will end up going through the courts, to the Supreme Court.  No doubt.  And eventually, I think, it will be legalized.  As it should be.

cedailey
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Too bad the government can't just keep out of it altogether. I'm all for separation of marriage and state. Private contracts for all the legal stuff (inheritance, custody, survivorship, medical poa) and no more special tax breaks and stuff for having a government paper on your family.

jessi2girls
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Most other things put to vote don't involve civil rights, so while I may not agree with how you vote, you have the right to vote..

but this is an issue that shouldn't even be voted on.

And regardless of another person's view, there is NO constitutional reason to deny someone's civil rights.

You can disagree with what they do, and choose to not participate, you can dislike it all you want, but when you make the effort to go out and vote against someone having equal civil rights, I find it repulsive, and yes unamerican!

When you vote against someone else's rights and happiness, you are being a dictator, and that's not what america is about.

America is about freedoms.. and yes, that means you have the freedom to not like it, to disagree with it, etc.. you can't infridge on other's freedoms.

Quoting jcribb16:

Thank you for clarifying your view more.  I'm just trying to say that SOME people out there will not agree with that stance, have their own stance on the issue,and are entitled to their own views and opinions, whether others agree or not, and if something does have to come to a vote, they will vote their view, which is freedom of being an American.  I'm only trying to make a specific point.

Quoting jessi2girls:

Quoting jcribb16:

Quoting PamR:

Quote:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN