Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Log Cabin Republicans: Obama Announcing Support For Marriage Equality Is ‘Offensive And Callous’

Posted by   + Show Post

Log Cabin Republicans: Obama Announcing Support For Marriage Equality Is ‘Offensive And Callous’

The Log Cabin Republicans’ R. Clarke Cooper was quick to try to discredit Obama’s announcement supporting marriage equality today, calling it “cold comfort” and “offensive and callous” in the immediate wake of Amendment One’s passage in North Carolina:

COOPER: That the president has chosen today, when LGBT Americans are mourning the passage of Amendment One, to finally speak up for marriage equality is offensive and callous. Log Cabin Republicans appreciate that President Obama has finally come in line with leaders like Vice President Dick Cheney on this issue, but LGBT Americans are right to be angry that this calculated announcement comes too late to be of any use to the people of North Carolina, or any of the other states that have addressed this issue on his watch. This administration has manipulated LGBT families for political gain as much as anybody, and after his campaign’s ridiculous contortions to deny support for marriage equality this week he does not deserve praise for an announcement that comes a day late and a dollar short.

Though LCR claims not to endorse candidates, this absurd attack suggests the group would rather stand with Mitt Romney, who has pledged to support a federal marriage amendment banning same-sex marriage nationwide. Coming from a group whose mission is to “secure full equality for gays and lesbians,” this is a stunning example of petty partisan politics.

UPDATE

Conservative media is not pleased:

by on May. 9, 2012 at 5:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
butlerro1013
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 7:15 PM

Agreed...on both points.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I think so too. But, I will say it's about damn time someone in the oval office said it out loud.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

This will Hurt him in the election IMO

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Eh, I think he's doing it solely because it's election season. If he cared so much about equality he would have made this a priority from the get go. I don't buy the "evolution". He was ashamed and embarrassed to express his beliefs all along. Shame on him.

sallys452001
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 7:20 PM
2 moms liked this

FOX = Stupid BS

denise3680
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 7:52 PM
1 mom liked this

I am still tryng to figure out how this could help him, don't most "so-called Christians" not like or even beleive he is a christian?  That him coming out in support of gay marriage is right in line with his attack? on religion and its beliefs?  I find it refreshing that he had the courage to come out and say it, regardless the circumstances or the reasons, he is doing the right thing.  I also find it ironic that a group would still support a party who would rather you deny who and what you are, deny your civil rights, and keep you feelling ashamed and disregarded? 

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 8:49 PM

Quoting Jambo4:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

These are the most bass ackwards group a gays ...

Yes..callous in that the party you promote believes you don't deserve the same rights as the straights..and have done everything in their power to keep you from achieving equality..

And Here he is..showing support for you and your plight

Like 4 realz

I do admit I'm surprised by their response.

Is it mostly because they don't like the timing of it?  It is just not what I expected from them.. but it says to me where their loyalties lie.

I agree, They are a group of people that would vote along party lines and sacrifice their civil rights...it's ridiculous to me,..

Maybe a little self hate thing going on...

lga1965
by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

yeah well...the "log cabin" people are still Republicans and Republicans seem to be a bunch of paranoid, suspicious , uptight ,narrow minded fanatics. I guess they can be gay too, huh?

lga1965
by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Quoting PamR:

Interesting, I just saw a little clip of a Fox News anchor, Shepherd Smith, saying something like Obama is now in the 21st century.  I guess not everyone on conservative media is displeased.

Looks like Shepherd Smith is the only one on Fox News with a brain!

Citygirlk
by on May. 10, 2012 at 1:03 AM
Right like the gays give a damn about what any republican has to say.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
joey125
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2012 at 1:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Do folks really believe there are no gay Republicans, now that is funny

asfriend
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:53 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting sallys452001:

FOX = Stupid BS

sallys452001 = closed mined, ignorant

rccmom
by Gold Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:34 AM
I don't know that I necessarily agree that most Christians don't like him. Conservative Christians are another story though. I am a Christian, but I also have no problem with allowing thr gay community equal rights.

Anyway, this could help him with undecided independents, and the youth vote.

Quoting denise3680:

I am still tryng to figure out how this could help him, don't most "so-called Christians" not like or even beleive he is a christian?  That him coming out in support of gay marriage is right in line with his attack? on religion and its beliefs?  I find it refreshing that he had the courage to come out and say it, regardless the circumstances or the reasons, he is doing the right thing.  I also find it ironic that a group would still support a party who would rather you deny who and what you are, deny your civil rights, and keep you feelling ashamed and disregarded? 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN