Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A Smidgen of Truth ... or Spot On?

Posted by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:28 AM
Jan
  • 12 Replies

"The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it."   -- P.J. O'Rourke

Who sees at least a smidgen of truth in P.J. O'Rourke's quote? Or maybe you see the quote as being absolutely spot on.  If so, (or, if not for that matter) care to elaborate?

Jan

by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lga1965
by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:48 AM
2 moms liked this

That's quite funny!  I guess I never thought that the Government would do much for me. I really don't know any Democrats who have that view of the Government either. We believe in Education, good jobs thanks to higher education, managing a budget so that we don't need "welfare" and living carefully. Personally, I have wanted to take care of myself and so have my Democratic friends and family. So, PJ was wrong as far as I am concerned..

As far as Republicans.....I have no clue.The current bunch of Republicans are strange and isolated in their Conservative little world. At least the people here at CM are.And they all seem to be influenced by the right wing Republican media and websites.The REAL Republicans were Eisenhower and Goldwater. Since Nixon, they have been self centered, selfish, greedy and paranoid. I voted Republican before but I won't any more. If they keep going the way the are now, then yes, they will prove that government doesn't work.

_Kissy_
by on May. 10, 2012 at 12:51 AM

Rings true for me.

romalove
by SenseandSensibility on May. 10, 2012 at 7:07 AM
4 moms liked this

It's a great quote.  Truth is, politics and the type of people it attracts are a big part of the problem.  There is something in the personality of someone who thinks they are good enough to run for public office, withstand a campaign, and want to be elected that also gives them an inflated sense of their self, and often the feeling that they are "above" the very things they supposedly stand for.  That's why we always see so much corruption and "do as I say, not as I do" behavior from our politicians.  Throw in the cash that floats around campaigns, and it is a recipe for disaster.

asfriend
by on May. 10, 2012 at 9:57 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting lga1965:

That's quite funny!  I guess I never thought that the Government would do much for me. I really don't know any Democrats who have that view of the Government either. We believe in Education, good jobs thanks to higher education, managing a budget so that we don't need "welfare" and living carefully. Personally, I have wanted to take care of myself and so have my Democratic friends and family. So, PJ was wrong as far as I am concerned..

As far as Republicans.....I have no clue.The current bunch of Republicans are strange and isolated in their Conservative little world. At least the people here at CM are.And they all seem to be influenced by the right wing Republican media and websites.The REAL Republicans were Eisenhower and Goldwater. Since Nixon, they have been self centered, selfish, greedy and paranoid. I voted Republican before but I won't any more. If they keep going the way the are now, then yes, they will prove that government doesn't work.

Weird that by your own admission you know absoluetly nothing about Democratics as a whole and very little about Republicans.

new_mom808
by Bronze Member on May. 10, 2012 at 9:59 AM
4 moms liked this

Eh, I think the not working part could certainly apply to either party.

I would say the D's dont trust us to take care of each other of our own free will so they will do it for is, while the R's dont trust us to behave morally, so they'll do it for us.

imamomzilla
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

There's a smidgen of truth in that quote...in a tongue-in-cheek kind of way.

:-)

I wouldn't say ALL politicians are like that....but a good majority. 

I do know some Repubs who work very hard, only to have their efforts thwarted by obstructionists with an agenda.

GraceHudson
by on May. 10, 2012 at 10:13 AM
funny

bluerooffarm
by Silver Member on May. 10, 2012 at 10:19 AM

Quoting new_mom808:

Eh, I think the not working part could certainly apply to either party.

I would say the D's dont trust us to take care of each other of our own free will so they will do it for is, while the R's dont trust us to behave morally, so they'll do it for us.

Sometimes "like" just isn't enough!  This is exactly what I thought when I read it!

clapping

jcribb16
by Primrose Foxglove on May. 11, 2012 at 12:32 AM
1 mom liked this

I see some truth in his remark.  The government doesn't really want to help us, though, as much as take over most all aspects of our lives, if given the chance, which then makes us dependent upon them, while they pad their pockets, have good health care that we wouldn't have, fancy cars, houses, clothes, parties, vacations, etc.

Republicans, in the past few years, really haven't had the opportunity to show us how they can help us, because of constantly being thwarted by the Democrats with their numbers over powering their numbers.  Then the Republicans are accused of not doing anything, or not trying to help.  Well, when they're blocked, it makes it difficult for them to show what they can do.

Momniscient
by Gold Member on May. 11, 2012 at 12:34 AM

Of course there is humor there. And stereotypes come from somewhere. I'm a Democrat though and I just don't think that the govt will make me taller or richer. They have removed my crabgrass though and I have pictures to prove it.

Aren't the Republicans the ones that are supposed to trickle down and make us all wealthier by osmosis or something?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)