Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama Treats 'Dinner With Clooney' Winners Like Losers - Do you think they should've been seated with Obama and/or Clooney?

Posted by on May. 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM
  • 42 Replies

Obama Treats 'Dinner With Clooney' Winners Like Losers

Posted by Suzanne Murray on May 11, 2012

obamaLast night was the much publicized Obama campaign fundraiser at George Clooney's Hollywood home. The event raised $15 million for Obama's campaign, which is apparently a record for a single fundraiser.

Party-goers -- 150 of Clooney's closest friends who forked over $40k a ticket -- included Tobey Maguire (who sat at Clooney's table), Robert Downey Jr., Salma Hayek, Jack Black, Barbra Streisand, and Jeffrey Katzenberg (head of Dreamworks). Obama and Clooney fawned over one another all night -- cracking jokes about their good looks like they were BFFs.

Sounds like a smashing success.

But if you remember, this dinner is the one that got a ton of press because the Obama campaign held a "Win Dinner With George Clooney" raffle so that two hoi polloi could attend and mix with Hollywood "elite" and the prez. What noblesse oblige.

It sure seemed like a great idea -- kind of an extension of the "Win Dinner With the President" raffles that have been held periodically over the past few months. Unfortunately, it ended up making the president look bad.The Obama campaign raised millions of dollars through the online raffle of two free tickets to the dinner. People could contribute $5 for a chance to go to the party. In fact, you didn't have to contribute anything at all to enter or to win. 

The winners were Beth Topinka, a New Jersey science teacher, and Karen Blutcher, a Florida utility company employee. Both of the women went to the party with their husbands. So where did they sit? At the back of the party tent of course (I'm guessing right by the port-o-potties). So unimpressed, George. What kind of host are you?

Why the heck weren't these winners seated at Clooney or Obama's table? One couple could have sat with Clooney and another with Obama -- or both couples could have sat together at a table with Clooney and Obama. We all know the answer to that. These regular folks just aren't good enough to sit aside Hollywood royalty or get that close to the President (although I'm sure he made the most of those photo opps with the winners). The Obama campaign got the press coverage and $$$$ it wanted. George Clooney comes off looking like a great guy. And no doubt the winners will indeed be aglow that they got to bask in the light of all these famous stars -- oblivious to the function they really served.

Ah, America -- where the President is no longer a man of the people, fame and money talk, and politicians throw all the little people a bone ... when they need your vote.

Do you think the winners of the "Dinner With Clooney" raffle should have been seated with Obama and/or Clooney -- or do you think they belonged at the back of the tent?

by on May. 12, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jambo4
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Well... technically it didn't SAY where the winners would be seated and they got in the door so the Obama administration did hold up their end of the "bargain".  

Pretty crappy, I'd say but to be honest, it fits right in with all the promises the American people thought they'd get from Obama when they elected him.

denise3680
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 11:25 AM
3 moms liked this

Personally I could care a less where i got to sit, just to say I went and got to meet everyone would be enough for me.  I do not see or hear these ladies complaining about sitting in the back of the tent.  Man, any reason for some to bash Obama, they jump on it like a dog on a bone:/

4kidz916
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 11:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree that they held up their end of the bargain but I feel it shoots holes in the theory that Obama relates to the average Joe.  

Quoting Jambo4:

Well... technically it didn't SAY where the winners would be seated and they got in the door so the Obama administration did hold up their end of the "bargain".  

Pretty crappy, I'd say but to be honest, it fits right in with all the promises the American people thought they'd get from Obama when they elected him.

Jambo4
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 11:38 AM

Quoting denise3680:

Personally I could care a less where i got to sit, just to say I went and got to meet everyone would be enough for me.  I do not see or hear these ladies complaining about sitting in the back of the tent.  Man, any reason for some to bash Obama, they jump on it like a dog on a bone:/

Do you think they got to meet everyone?  (not being snarky)

Does anyone know if they have blogged about their experience?  Were they flown out as well?  (I'm guessing not first class;)

lga1965
by on May. 12, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Obama and Clooney fawned over one another all night -- cracking jokes about their good looks like they were BFFs.

Sounds like a smashing success

The above comment by the author of this gossipy piece destroyed her credibilty and put her into the "National Inquirer" yellow journalist category.What a stupid thing for her to say.

Would I care where I sat if I had won? Hell, no. Just being there would have been a dream come true.

Wow....this is so shallow.And Diva-like.

lga1965
by on May. 12, 2012 at 11:44 AM

Do you really think that Obama made up the seating chart? LOL.

And if you were hosted by the man who raised 15 million for your campaign, would you possibly like to sit with him? Hmmmm?

Quoting 4kidz916:

I agree that they held up their end of the bargain but I feel it shoots holes in the theory that Obama relates to the average Joe.  

Quoting Jambo4:

Jambo4
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 11:47 AM

Quoting lga1965:

Obama and Clooney fawned over one another all night -- cracking jokes about their good looks like they were BFFs.

Sounds like a smashing success

The above comment by the author of this gossipy piece destroyed her credibilty and put her into the "National Inquirer" yellow journalist category.What a stupid thing for her to say.

Would I care where I sat if I had won? Hell, no. Just being there would have been a dream come true.

Wow....this is so shallow.And Diva-like.

Yeah.. I don't like the writing style either but I was able the glean what the story was supposed to be about.  Big fancy party, special raffle for a few of the "little guys" so they could feel elite.  Then put in "their place" towards the back away from the important people.

denise3680
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Quoting Jambo4:

Quoting denise3680:

Does anyone know if they have blogged about their experience?  Were they flown out as well?  (I'm guessing not first class;)

No, but maybe they got to meet the people they wanted to meet or even just see the people they only see in movies. Who cares if it was first class or not, really?  Let me ask you this, Are you really offended by this or are you just going along with your idea of "anyone but Obama" and everything he does is wrong?

PamR
by Platinum Member on May. 12, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Really?

I saw these people interviewed about the dinner and they didn't sound like they were treated like losers.

Jambo4
by Gold Member on May. 12, 2012 at 11:59 AM

Quoting denise3680:

Quoting Jambo4:

Quoting denise3680:

No, but maybe they got to meet the people they wanted to meet or even just see the people they only see in movies.  Who cares if it was first class or not, really?  Let me ask you this, Are you really offended by this or are you just going along with your idea of "anyone but Obama" and everything he does is wrong?

No, I'm not offended by this.  I find it typical of what I'd expect from this administration.  The reason I mentioned "first class" was that the whole raffle sounded like one of those cheap sleazy telemarketing schemes where it sounds so incredible.. the win an outdoor boat with motor!  (only to find when it arrives it is a blow-up raft with a battery operated motor- based on a true story btw..lol)

I am not an "anyone but Obama" person.  I'm a firmly.. Romney is by far the best qualified and has the best experience to do a turnaround on the failing American economy  person.. and always have been. :)  Not everything Obama does is wrong.  (drawing a blank right now on an example), but I think his policies are wrong for America.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN