Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Austerity and Why Europe Has it Wrong

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 5:12 AM
  • 7 Replies

Check out this video:

http://mercatus.org/video/veronique-de-rugy-discusses-austerity-europe-cnbc

Synopsis:

"Veronique De Rugy, Senior Scholar, Mercatus Center at George Mason University says not all austerity is the same and that a better option is austerity with spending cuts accompanied with structural reforms."

(link same as video link)

by on May. 14, 2012 at 5:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Meadowchik
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 5:13 AM
1 mom liked this

Structural reforms and spending cuts is something America can benefit from, and it is exactly the type of thing which Mitt Romney specialized in at Bain Capital.  It's his area. 

"We have a moral responsibility to not spend more than we take in." -Mitt Romney 2012

Visit Mitt Romney for President, CafeMom Group

matreshka
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 7:42 AM

I agree that there does need to be structural reform and spending cuts, but the cuts should affect the people who need it the most.  If we ended the wars we are engaged in, we could go a long way on saving money,

jaxTheMomm
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 7:58 AM

Thanks I'll look at this later.

But I don't really think we can compare our economy with those of the failing EU nations.  Our structures and problems are very different, as are our checks and balances.

Meadowchik
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 8:29 AM

Quoting jaxTheMomm:

Thanks I'll look at this later.

But I don't really think we can compare our economy with those of the failing EU nations.  Our structures and problems are very different, as are our checks and balances.

but that's part of the point.  Some people are pointing at Europe and saying "austerity's not working¨" Scholar Veronique De Rugy makes the point that there are different kind sof austerity, and that implies that we cannot point to Europe as a justification for spending more.  And she gives a very good basic advice about structural changes.

"We have a moral responsibility to not spend more than we take in." -Mitt Romney 2012

Visit Mitt Romney for President, CafeMom Group

Jambo4
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Quoting Meadowchik:

Structural reforms and spending cuts is something America can benefit from, and it is exactly the type of thing which Mitt Romney specialized in at Bain Capital.  It's his area. 

very true.

rachelrothchild
by on May. 14, 2012 at 5:19 PM

We need a giant scissors to cut, cut, cut everything.

_Kissy_
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:02 PM

We have cut for 30 yrs. It hasn't worked yet

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN