Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Black Pastor Tells CNN His Church Won’t Support Obama, ‘Plan To Stay Home’

Posted by on May. 14, 2012 at 7:28 PM
  • 79 Replies

Black Pastor Tells CNN His Church Won’t Support Obama, ‘Plan To Stay Home’

VIDEO

President Obama’s headline-grabbing flip-flop on gay marriage may cost him dearly in the more religious parts of the black community, reports CNN today, as pastors tell their congregations the president is wrong in stepping in. In a report on the divide over social issues in the black community, Athena Jones speakers to Rev. Dr.Emmett Burns, who insists that, while he and his peregrines won’t support Mitt Romney, they have no interest in going to the polls. 

RELATED: Majority Of Americans Say Obama’s Gay Marriage Endorsement Won’t Affect Vote

Jones reports that, while some pastors, like Rev. Wallace Charles Smith, support the President with the caveat that “we preferred that he had not weighed in on the issue,” Rev. Burns (also a state legislator) has no interest in voting this year. “People have come up to me, are saying they don’t support this, they don’t like this,” he argued. “They are disappointed with the President, and they plan to stay home.”

Anchor Carol Costello followed up with an interview with Marvin Randolph, Senior Vice President of Campaigns for the NAACP, who expressed concern that the attitude of leaders in the religious community could lead to a suppression of the African American vote. “The only way to affect the issues that you care about is by voting at the ballot box,” Randolph noted, adding that many elections, not just the presidential one, could be affected negatively in this way. “We have to make sure that African Americans don’t stay home this year by reminding them what’s at stake,” he concluded– and that includes all sorts of community and local positions that have a much more direct effect on a neighborhood, town, or city than the presidential one.

The segment via CNN below:

by on May. 14, 2012 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
imamomzilla
It's been a while!
Today at 3:01 PM
by on May. 14, 2012 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Interesting.

I've told some people to stay home on Election Day....and I hope they take my advice.smile big

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on May. 14, 2012 at 8:40 PM

lmao...How stupid

I bet that's how many feel for Romney

In fact many have said so....before he was the nominee...

Abaco
by Gold Member on May. 14, 2012 at 8:42 PM
5 moms liked this

BO will probably flip again....he's already a flop.

toomanypoodles
by Poodles on May. 15, 2012 at 4:08 AM

Good for him.  He does have the right. 

mustbeGRACE
by Silver Member on May. 15, 2012 at 5:41 AM
2 moms liked this

What?

No  ACORN?

_Kissy_
by on May. 15, 2012 at 6:45 AM
And? I know christians who are not voting for the magical underware dude
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 6:49 AM

First, this is the problem with single issue voters.

Second, its the problem with having only 2 people to vote for who will come close to winning.  Everyone wants to vote for the winner and unless 3rd party candidates become viable candidates.

Carpy
by Platinum Member on May. 15, 2012 at 7:26 AM
3 moms liked this

Do I sense a little bigotry in your post?

Quoting _Kissy_:

And? I know christians who are not voting for the magical underware dude

pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on May. 15, 2012 at 8:37 AM

And it sounds like he is not the only black man to be saying that they will stay home and not vote at all.  We have been hearing comments like this since the "big proclamation."   I am curious how this is going to effect the Hispanic vote since they are heavily Catholic?

Citygirlk
by on May. 15, 2012 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this
When I read tgd title I was lije OH GOD.... Just because this man doesnt want to vote for obama doesnt mean otger will not as well one "black pastor" doesnt speak for all black people. * walks off in anger*.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)