Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

It Doesn't Matter What the Bible says About Homosexuality

Posted by   + Show Post

It Doesn't Matter What the Bible says About Homosexuality

This is not a theocracy. The bible should not in any way inform our laws. Nor should the Qur'an. Nor the Torah. Nor the Bahagavad Gita. Nor the Jain Agamas. Nor the Book of Mormon. Nor any other religious text. Period. Taking the argument to the bible misses the point.

Every individual has a right to practice religion, or not practice religion, in whatever manner they wish; as long as doing so does not infringe on the same rights of another. When we restrict an individual or group's rights based on the religion of any other individual or group, we deny that person the constitutional protection to freedom of religion. It's really that simple.

Allowing same-sex couples to marry does not restrict anyone else's right to practice their own religion. It doesn't prevent a man and woman to marry in their own church. It doesn't, or shouldn't, force a church who disagrees with same-sex marriage to perform the wedding ceremony.

On the other hand, restricting same-sex couples from marrying DOES infringe on someone's right to freedom of religion. It takes the religious belief of one and imposes it on another. It is unconstitutional period.

There is no need to show that it is okay within a religion, because that doesn't matter. We are Americans. We don't have to justify our actions to any religion.

by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:00 PM
Replies (31-35):
blondekosmic15
by Blonde on May. 18, 2012 at 10:57 PM

Quoting bluespagan:

Hi I have shunned God and am leaving my life happily heathen. 

I agree OP.  Thank you for posting this.

The devil leaves you alone when he has no reason to tempt you. Those closest to God he deems more of a challenge. Only God can give true and lasting peace which the world cannot give~+

blondekosmic15
by Blonde on May. 18, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Quoting sheba1000:

I am glad I live in a country that was based on religious freedom. The freedom to practice what religion if any. I am a Christan and I believe gay marriage is wrong therefore I will not have one. Why my thought should be projected onto someone else I have not figured out.

Sin offends God. Silence is acceptance....

Ginacoolidge
by on May. 19, 2012 at 1:12 AM

Quoting Friday:

Quoting Ginacoolidge:

Quoting Friday:

The Supreme Court said marriage is a basic human right, their decisions apply to all states.

The Supreme Court has never said that anyone can decide for themselves what constitutes marriage.    States (societies, really) sanction marriage because it promotes families.   

I contend that society must be allowed to set its own rules.  Courts don't make law in the U.S. - they follow and interpret laws that society sets.  

There really can be no other way to establish rules.  We can't leave it up to individuals, and we can't leave law-making up to the courts.

Can you suggest another way that we have rules imposed on us, other than that we impose them on ourselves, by mutual agreement?   

So the Supreme Court was wrong in imposing interracial marriage on us? People in a few states voted against it but the Supremes struck them down. No mutual agreement there and I'll bet if it were voted on, some states would still vote against it.

Marriage is a civil contract, denying people access to a civil contract based on gender or orientation is discrimination. The main reason people are opposed to SSM is religious in nature. By making laws based only on religion we are forcing people who don't believe in that religion to follow it's rules.

You(general) have the right to believe whatever you wish but you don't have the right to force it on the rest of us. I can respect others beliefs as long as they offer the same respect back. Imposing ones belief thru legislation isn't respectful.

Even if it's left up for vote, the laws will change eventually. The majority is still opposed but their numbers are shrinking and the percentages are getting closer.

You're avoiding the question: How do we establish the rules we all must live by? Leave it up to you? me?  Leave it up to the courts?  

Friday
by Platinum Member on May. 19, 2012 at 2:12 AM

Quoting Ginacoolidge:

Quoting Friday:

Quoting Ginacoolidge:

Quoting Friday:

The Supreme Court said marriage is a basic human right, their decisions apply to all states.

The Supreme Court has never said that anyone can decide for themselves what constitutes marriage.    States (societies, really) sanction marriage because it promotes families.   

I contend that society must be allowed to set its own rules.  Courts don't make law in the U.S. - they follow and interpret laws that society sets.  

There really can be no other way to establish rules.  We can't leave it up to individuals, and we can't leave law-making up to the courts.

Can you suggest another way that we have rules imposed on us, other than that we impose them on ourselves, by mutual agreement?   

So the Supreme Court was wrong in imposing interracial marriage on us? People in a few states voted against it but the Supremes struck them down. No mutual agreement there and I'll bet if it were voted on, some states would still vote against it.

Marriage is a civil contract, denying people access to a civil contract based on gender or orientation is discrimination. The main reason people are opposed to SSM is religious in nature. By making laws based only on religion we are forcing people who don't believe in that religion to follow it's rules.

You(general) have the right to believe whatever you wish but you don't have the right to force it on the rest of us. I can respect others beliefs as long as they offer the same respect back. Imposing ones belief thru legislation isn't respectful.

Even if it's left up for vote, the laws will change eventually. The majority is still opposed but their numbers are shrinking and the percentages are getting closer.

You're avoiding the question: How do we establish the rules we all must live by? Leave it up to you? me?  Leave it up to the courts?  

We elect officials to make the rules and the courts determine if they are Constitutional. Since the laws against interracial marriage were determined unconstitutional I have to conclude that laws against SSM will suffer the same fate when they get there.

H.R.H. Friday of MaryJane

Ginacoolidge
by on May. 19, 2012 at 2:19 AM

Quoting Friday:

Quote:

We elect officials to make the rules and the courts determine if they are Constitutional. Since the laws against interracial marriage were determined unconstitutional I have to conclude that laws against SSM will suffer the same fate when they get there.
So, if the Supreme Court finds that there is no constitutional right to same-sex marriage, the issue will be resolved. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)