Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Powell is ok with gay marriage

Posted by on May. 24, 2012 at 7:33 AM
  • 74 Replies

Colin Powell Gay Marriage

Former Secretary of State Colin Powell became the latest public official to back gay marriage on Wednesday.

"I have no problem with it," he said on CNN, "and it was the Congress that imposed Don't Ask, Don't Tell, though it was certainly my position and my recommendation to get us out of an even worse outcome that could have occurred, as you'll recall."

"But as I've thought about gay marriage, I know a lot of friends who are individually gay but are in partnerships with loved ones, and they are as stable a family as my family is, and they raise children. And so I don't see any reason not to say that they should be able to get married," he said.

Powell flipped and announced his support for the repeal of the "Don't Ask Don't Tell" policy in February 2010 after opposing efforts in the 1990s to allow gays and lesbians to serve openly in the military as chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

Earlier Wednesday, Powell slammed Mitt Romney's foreign policy advisers for their hawkish views. He has declined thus far to endorse a presidential candidate in 2012 after endorsing Barack Obama in 2008.

I think people can evolve and change for the better.  The more I read about this man recently the more I like him and think he is a good example to follow.

by on May. 24, 2012 at 7:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rccmom
by Gold Member on May. 24, 2012 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I really wish Colin Powell was on the national scene more. I've admired him for a while and he is one Republican I could probably support.

sweet-a-kins
by Ruby Member on May. 24, 2012 at 10:00 AM
1 mom liked this

me too

Quoting rccmom:

I really wish Colin Powell was on the national scene more. I've admired him for a while and he is one Republican I could probably support.

asfriend
by on May. 24, 2012 at 10:02 AM
2 moms liked this

Then Powell should come out of the closet, move to a state where it is legal and marry a guy.

Other than that - bleck, irrelevant.

bluespagan
by on May. 24, 2012 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow, you are just full of ignorance aren't you.  Just because he supports it doesn't mean that he is gay.  Go take your bigotry and stupidity elsewhere.

Quoting asfriend:

Then Powell should come out of the closet, move to a state where it is legal and marry a guy.

asfriend
by on May. 24, 2012 at 10:09 AM
2 moms liked this

This is going to shock you, but just because someone disagrees with your little view of the world, does not make them bigoted or stupid.

In fact judging by the totality of your posts the further someone is from your narrow minded views,the more likely they are to be educated, informed and well rounded.

Quoting bluespagan:

Wow, you are just full of ignorance aren't you.  Just because he supports it doesn't mean that he is gay.  Go take your bigotry and stupidity elsewhere.

Quoting asfriend:

bluespagan
by on May. 24, 2012 at 10:17 AM
3 moms liked this

Read your comment again.  What you typed there was very stupid and bigoted

From the conversations we have had though I guess I really should not have expected anything different.

Quoting asfriend:

This is going to shock you, but just because someone disagrees with your little view of the world, does not make them bigoted or stupid.

In fact judging by the totality of your posts the further someone is from your narrow minded views,the more likely they are to be educated, informed and well rounded.

Quoting bluespagan:

Quoting asfriend:

imamomzilla
by on May. 24, 2012 at 10:22 AM

What is up with all these gay posts? Is this election related?

bluespagan
by on May. 24, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I know you are not that dense.  Yes, it is election related considering it is on the platform of the candidates.

Should I start asking you how your stuff is election related?

Quoting imamomzilla:

What is up with all these gay posts? Is this election related?

RainbowMom132
by Member on May. 24, 2012 at 10:27 AM

Seriously made me happy seeing this. It is one thing to have a politican come out in support but it is another thing when a true Republican does it. 

bluespagan
by on May. 24, 2012 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this

And I just have to know, why attack my intelligence?  Have I not been mature and intelligent in my replies regardless if they are simply my opinion or based on statistic driven fact/otherwise? 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)