Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Voters Leaving Democrat and Republican Parties

Posted by on May. 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Jan
  • 7 Replies
2 moms liked this

And the times, they are a-changin' ...

Voters leaving Democratic, Republican parties

By Randall Jeppesen
December 23rd, 2011

USA Today reports more than 2.5 million voters have left the Democratic and Republican parties since the 2008 elections.

The paper looked at voter registration numbers in the 28 states where people register by party.

• The number of registered Democrats dropped in 25 states.
  • The number of registered Republicans dropped in 21 states.
  • The number of independent voters grew in 18 of 28 states.
Political Playing Field
  • Registered Democrats -- 42 million
  • Registered Republicans -- 30 million
  • Independents -- 24 million
  • Democrats have lost the most — 1.7 million, or 3.9%, from 2008
Source: USA Today

These trends become very apparent in several swing states including Colorado, Florida, New Hampshire and others that many consider key states in the upcoming presidential election.

Many political strategists say the candidate who can best appeal to the growing number of independents will end up in the White House.

Voter registration numbers are affected by people moving and being taken off the rolls for being inactive. But these statistics show a large number of people are leaving their political parties, apparently unhappy about how the government is run.

Source: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=1070&sid=18608231&title=voters-leaving-democratic-republican-parties

by on May. 25, 2012 at 9:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
bluespagan
by on May. 25, 2012 at 10:01 AM

I have not registered as either simply because I don't fully identify with either side. I think that they polarize themselves to get to voters on an emotional level and I refuse to vote based on emotion and rhetoric.  I insist on using my head and logic.

erika9009
by Silver Member on May. 25, 2012 at 12:52 PM

I left the Dem party after that vitriol fight over Florida in 2000.  That "venom" that got spewed (my perception) was just not to my liking at all. 

You can tell a persons or groups charactor when things get tough or challenging.

rachelrothchild
by on May. 25, 2012 at 12:59 PM

GOOD

KhaysJadie
by Member on May. 25, 2012 at 1:11 PM
2 moms liked this

It's just too bad they aren't leaving in greater numbers. People are fed up with both parties. If things keep up like they have been the political arena will be ripe for a third party. Let's all hope it isn't a party of crazies.

I've always been an "Independent" voter as I've never believed voting along party lines was a productive way to decide government. My husband, on the other hand, was a registered Republican and had voted along party lines in the majority of elections. He voted for "the other side" in 08' because he was unhappy with what was happening within the Republican party at the time. This year he dropped the "R" on his voters card and replaced it with an "I". He was sick to death with the way the Republicans have handled themselves over the last 4 years and can no longer stand behind a party that has become increasingly extremist.

_Kissy_
by on May. 25, 2012 at 1:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Independent and libertarians will become the new Republican and Democratic party.
Parties change, people don't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rachelrothchild
by on May. 25, 2012 at 3:40 PM

People do change.  I've changed a lot in the past 10 years.

Quoting _Kissy_:

Independent and libertarians will become the new Republican and Democratic party.

_Kissy_
by on May. 25, 2012 at 3:43 PM
Not their core beliefs in what the government should or shouldn't do.

Quoting rachelrothchild:

People do change.  I've changed a lot in the past 10 years.

Quoting _Kissy_:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)