Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

Obama's Tomb of Unknown Soldier Speech Shows He's a True Ally to Our Troops (VIDEO) How do you feel about President Obama's remarks?

Posted by on May. 29, 2012 at 6:34 PM
  • 3 Replies

Obama's Tomb of Unknown Soldier Speech Shows He's a True Ally to Our Troops (VIDEO)

Posted by Maressa Brown on May 29, 2012 

obama speaks at arlington cemetery 2012While the rest of us were BBQ'ing and getting our drink on, President Obama was still at work yesterday. Memorial Day always means business for the POTUS, because who better than our commander-in-chief to honor our veterans? So, yesterday morning, Obama visited the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in D.C.'s Arlington Cemetery, laying a wreath at the Tomb in the traditional ceremony, and gave a speech that acknowledged the past, but interestingly, also looked toward the future.

Focusing on our most recent conflicts -- "from the jungles of Vietnam to the mountains of Afghanistan" -- Obama made a very poignant promise that proves just how much respect he has for our servicepeople.

The President said:

After a decade under the dark cloud of war, we can see the light of a new day on the horizon. As commander in chief, I can tell you that sending our troops into harm's way is the most wrenching decision that I have to make. I can promise you I will never do so unless it is absolutely necessary and that when we do, we must give our troops a clear mission and the full support of a grateful nation.

WOW, bet that soundbyte has the military-industrial complex grimacing. (Watch out, O!) Not sure we've heard a promise like that from a POTUS since JFK, who seemed cautious about falling into the very trap Obama describes and Eisenhower, who warned future generations of Americans about sending our troops under false pretenses.

Unfortunately, between then and now, we've had leaders who have put our troops in harm's way for a variety of guises -- reasons that the nation hasn't necessarily been privy to or in support of. But to know we have a leader right now who has vowed to steer clear of doing exactly, who seems to want to use our troops' power wisely as possible that shows me that we have a commander-in-chief who truly values American soldiers. After all, what better way to honor our military than to keep them out of harm's way unless it is absolutely necessary, they do have a clear mission and the full support of fellow Americans?

Here's Obama's speech in its entirety if you missed it ...

How do you feel about President Obama's remarks?

by on May. 29, 2012 at 6:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
PamR
by Platinum Member on May. 29, 2012 at 6:46 PM

I'm sure every president is an ally to our troops and cares deeply about them.  Unfortunately, this president's commitment will no doubt be questioned by the conspiracy theorists.

His remarks regarding the Vietnam vets was right on target. 

Jambo4
by Gold Member on May. 29, 2012 at 10:58 PM

‎"Every veteran is the greatest of his or her generation. Today, and every day, we thank you for your sacrifices." ~ Mitt Romney ★ See Romney's video message! May you all enjoy a happy and meaningful Memorial Day!
mittromneycentral.com
Memorial Day Lest we forget... How easily we forget the unspeakable sacrifices the brave paid to create our beloved nation. How soon we dismiss.... continued...

"We are, after all, Americans. We stand where few have stood, which is why we kneel in grateful appreciation. We have a stewardship to stand for liberty and freedom – to defend the downtrodden and care for the needy. To do so, we need to be a free and self-reliant people, remembering who we are and the divine entreaty given to each of us, and to this land we call America."

mittromneycentral.com

A new Gallup poll out today shows that Romney leads Obama by a large margin among our military veterans. Romney leads Obama 58%-34% among veterans, who make

Find out more about Mitt Romney.
 Click on Mitt to visit Mitt Romney for President group at Cafemom.

toomanypoodles
by Poodles on May. 30, 2012 at 4:03 AM

Didn't listen, but anyone can give a speech; surely this was written by one of his speech writers.  A speech really tells nothing of the man's own feelings. 

This is not a man that often speaks for himself---everything's on the teleprompter for him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN