Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

White Supremacist With Ties To Neo-Nazi Groups Elected To Pennsylvania County GOP Committee

Posted by   + Show Post

White Supremacist With Ties To Neo-Nazi Groups Elected To Pennsylvania County GOP Committee

The newest member of the Luzerne County Republican Party Committee

Republicans in Luzerne County, Pennsylvania have elected Steve Smith, a lifelong white supremacist with close ties to neo-Nazi groups and groups like Aryan Nations, to the county’s GOP Committee.

The elections, which took place in late April, were certified by the committee two weeks ago, and Smith notified supporters of his victory last week by posting a message to the online forum White News Now.

The Southern Poverty Law Center has documentedSmith’s participation with known skinhead organizations like Keystone State Skinheads, (now Keystone United) which he co-founded in 2001. And his racist activism extends far beyond violent rhetoric as well, into actual violence:

In March 2003, he and two other KSS members were arrested in Scranton for beating up Antoni Williams, a black man, using stones and chunks of pavement. Smith pleaded guilty to terrorist threats and ethnic intimidation and received a 60-day sentence and probation.

Smith is also an active member of local Tea Party groups, a network that he used to gain support for his bid for the committee seat. According to the SPLC, Smith referred to the Tea Party as “fertile grounds for our activists.”

Luzerne County is hardly a small rural county either. According to the 2010 census, over 320,000 people live in Luzerne, many in the county seat of Wilkes-Barre, a large city of over 40,000 people. And in an interesting juxtaposition with the election of an anti-immigrant bigot, Luzerne County saw the nation’s largest county-level increase of Hispanics between 2000 and 2010.

by on May. 31, 2012 at 4:12 PM
Replies (81-90):
asfriend
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting matreshka:

The bigger issue is who are the people who voted for him and why.

Did you see the platform that zilla posted?

They seem to be great hard working Americans.

matreshka
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:08 AM
2 moms liked this

You judge the president on his looks, you spew racist hatred, that was what I was getting at.  Also you still have not replied to the post on why I am wrong about the injunction in Florida.  You just come on this group to stir the pot.

Quoting asfriend:

Our very fine president beat up someone with stones and chunks of pavement?

Quoting matreshka:

Yet you judge the president based on the same thing.  Your racism is obvious.

Quoting asfriend:

I don't know him, however I think it is very seldom that I would justify beating someone with stones and chunks of pavement, if he if fact did that.

But your story is not about that, now is it?

Your story screams racism, (on your part) unlike you, I am not going to judge him on his looks.

shimamab
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:09 AM
2 moms liked this
http://www.adl.org/racist_skinheads/states/pennsylvania.asp

Link to a website that provides a synopsis of skinhead "accomplishments". The assault, arrest, and plea are listed there, too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this

Thanks, its unfortunate that members of this group or anyone for that matter would defend this person.

Quoting shimamab:

Link to a website that provides a synopsis of skinhead "accomplishments". The assault, arrest, and plea are listed there, too.

asfriend
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:14 AM
2 moms liked this

I do not judge him on his looks, please do not be so narrow minded, no good can come of that. I may have  commented on his large ears,  which would have been childish, however a national network gave him a forum,where he himself spoke of his large ears.

I do not like his economic policies, I do not like his race baiting, I do not like his foreign policy. I do not like his Presidency.

His skin color is of no importance to me, other than when he insists that it be.

Quoting matreshka:

You judge the president on his looks, you spew racist hatred, that was what I was getting at.  Also you still have not replied to the post on why I am wrong about the injunction in Florida.  You just come on this group to stir the pot.

Quoting asfriend:

Our very fine president beat up someone with stones and chunks of pavement?

Quoting matreshka:

Yet you judge the president based on the same thing.  Your racism is obvious.

Quoting asfriend:

I don't know him, however I think it is very seldom that I would justify beating someone with stones and chunks of pavement, if he if fact did that.

But your story is not about that, now is it?

Your story screams racism, (on your part) unlike you, I am not going to judge him on his looks.

itsmesteph11
by Silver Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:22 AM
2 moms liked this

I wouldn not have voted for him  but then that's just me.  You know the old saying "It takes all kinds". Seems there are a lot of unsavory people in offices today.   Might have something to do with the way Americans feel about government.

This is why it's really our fault if we are not happy with things they way they are.  Only the voters can change it.

imamomzilla
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:26 AM

Three men were involved in 2003. Smith was NOT arrested for assault.

Please provide proof to the contrary.... Thanks.

Quoting shimamab:

apollothor
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:26 AM

As to your comment re Barack Obama using pot or a drug in college or something, wasn't George Bush Jr an alcoholic & did cocaine?  Weren't Richard & Pat Nixon alcoholics? Didn't Bill Clinton try pot in college?  Wasn't Betty Ford alcohol & drug dependent from a back injury?  Remember who created the Betty Ford Center...

imamomzilla
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

Who is defending? He wasn't arrested for assault. *smh Good grief. Don't you EVER dig any deeper?

Quoting matreshka:

Thanks, its unfortunate that members of this group or anyone for that matter would defend this person.

Quoting shimamab:

shimamab
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:28 AM
Proof like what? An arrest record?

Quoting imamomzilla:

Three men were involved in 2003. Smith was NOT arrested for assault.

Please provide proof to the contrary.... Thanks.

Quoting shimamab:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)