Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

News & Politics News & Politics

I don't care if this was the "purple" convention, but Holder has no business doing this.....

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:46 AM
  • 18 Replies

Holder to brief black pastors on campaign 2012

byJoel Gehrke Commentary Staff Writer

Attorney General Eric Holder, the IRS, and the liberal lawyers at the ACLU will brief several hundred pastors in the African American community on how to participate in the presidential election -- which the Congressional Black Caucus chair expects will help President Obama's campaign.

"We will have representatives from nine denominations who actually pastor somewhere in the neighborhood of about 10 million people, and we're going to first of all equip them with the information they need to know about what they can say and what they cannot say in the church that would violate their 501c3 status with the IRS," Rep. Emanuel Cleaver, D-Mo., told MSNBC today.

"In fact, we're going to have the IRS administrator there, we're going to have the Attorney General Eric Holder there, we're going to have the lawyers' organization from around the country, the ACLU -- all giving ministers guidance about what they can and cannot do," he noted.

Cleaver said they would not tell pastors which candidate to support. They will let them know who to regard as the bad guys, though (hint: not Democrats). "We're going to talk about some of the draconian laws that have cropped up around the country as a result of the 17 percent increase in African American votes," Cleaver said, describing voter ID laws as a form of Jim Crow-style "poll tax" on seniors and black voters.

The CBC chairman is confident that "President Obama is going to get 95 percent of the [African American] vote," and wants to keep that turnout high. "We want to let them know that there is a theological responsibility to participate in the political process, at least in the Judeo-Christian tradition," he said.

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pvtjokerus
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:47 AM
1 mom liked this

There should be not be any biased opinions stemming from the AG's office!

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jun. 1, 2012 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm seeing double..lol  I agree..this is wrong.. They are really starting to "interfere' with religous entities.

Mamawto4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Epitome of Hypocrisy.  Funny, how when someone from a church speaks their own mind, it is seen as a violation of "separation of church and state", yet it is somehow OK for representatives of the government to tell the church exactly what should be said to their following? 

gammie
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:49 AM
1 mom liked this
When I heard they are doing this immediately I thought this wrong!

_Kissy_
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this
What's good for the goose..

Maybe he should brief Trump and Limbaugh and get their opinion first

Eyeroll
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shimamab
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:51 AM
While I see the validity in counseling churches on the legalities so they don't jeopardize their tax exempt status, choosing only black churches who support the pres looks awful. Fingers crossed that this is just the first session in a series of meetings that will be more inclusive....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
matreshka
by Gold Member on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:20 AM

I hope so, because it does not look good for the president to target black only churches, it fuels the fire of the racist thoughts of some people.

Quoting shimamab:

While I see the validity in counseling churches on the legalities so they don't jeopardize their tax exempt status, choosing only black churches who support the pres looks awful. Fingers crossed that this is just the first session in a series of meetings that will be more inclusive....

Ednarooni160
by Eds on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Cleaver said they would not tell pastors which candidate to support. They will let them know who to regard as the bad guys, though (hint: not Democrats).   Aren't there republicans in black churches..(rolls eyes).  So who's the bad guys?

godotherightthi
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 11:49 AM

I said this in the other thread - this is extorsion.  If a white AG came to the black churches and told them to vote Republican, with "instructions" on how to maintain their tax exempt status (or else) everyone would be SCREAMING that this was voter intimidation.

asfriend
by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 1:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting shimamab:

Ever the hopeful, i gotta give you credit for that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN